No emissions county

General Car Related Discussion
chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14

I know in Arizona on all 1996 and newer vehicles (OBD-II) they wouldn't even hook the car up to a sniffer- they just plugged into your OBD-II port and did a Check Engine Light (CEL) read. If you had no CEL's in the past few drive cycles- you passed.

Does CO do that or do all cars, no matter the year, get the sniffer test? That would blow if they make you do the sniffer test....

My car won't pass a sniffer test, but I have CELs turned off :)
:eek:

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14

OR what you could do...like almost every Rx7 owner in maryland does...

find a run down shop..or privately owned shop that is able to do emission tests, drop a $50 bill and call it a day. I dont know any Rx7 owner in MD that hasnt had to do that to keep their car "legal"...plus its not a bribe when your just tipping the good man for a hard days work.

Do some research, I'm sure theres plenty of FC and FB guys that have to do this due to removal of emissions...and just plain having a 30 year old car.

(ill expect to get flack for this comment...LOL)

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14

Well at 30 years old (or is it 25), the car only has to pass emissions the one time and then you get Collector's Plates and you don't have to get smogged ever again.

As far as trying to "tip" a local emissions shop into passing you, I believe all the emissions testing facilities in the Denver area are at government run shops.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

Cesaros

Postby Cesaros » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:14

MazdaTom wrote:Well at 30 years old (or is it 25), the car only has to pass emissions the one time and then you get Collector's Plates and you don't have to get smogged ever again.

As far as trying to "tip" a local emissions shop into passing you, I believe all the emissions testing facilities in the Denver area are at government run shops.

wow...that sucks.

damn 'clean' states!

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14

Yep that's right. Lots of shops have sniffers, but you have to go to one of the state-run emissions facilities. And yes, they always hook up the sniffer. They don't care about CELs.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14

MazdaTom wrote:Well at 30 years old (or is it 25), the car only has to pass emissions the one time and then you get Collector's Plates and you don't have to get smogged ever again.

For collector plates (collectors are available for 25 yrs and older), it's every 5 years instead. I thought the same thing with my MG, and was surprised I had to redo smog when it came time to renew. I was equally surprised that it passed!

Ranger

I believe that's about to change, too. They're changing the law to be only vehicles 1976 and older, I think. However if you already have collector plates your car / plates will be grandfathered in.

goldrocket

Postby goldrocket » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14

I Colorado it's 25 years or older. And this state does care about check engine lights, it was always an automatic fail before the emissions testing was canned here. I have a few friends with smog licenses, at least they had them. The state even sends in undercover jackasses with cars that have hidden issues that should make them fail. If you miss it, it was a $10k fine. My buddy at a Goodyear got nailed on a car that had the wire to the check engine light clipped. He beat the case, for entrapment, and for the problem being something that was not covered in a normal inspection, but it cost him a lot in legal fees. Those emissions guys play very dirty here.
Al says
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!:eek:

Ranger

Yes 25 years or older right now, but there is a bill out there that, if passed, will make it 1975 and older cars only. It's the same bill that might mandate emissions testing in the northern Front Range areas.

http://www.coloradosenatenews.com/content/view/990/26/

"Another provision that may irritate the public, the Republicans say, is that the bill changes the definition of collector's item for the purposes of motor vehicle registration and emission testing to a model year 1975 or earlier, or a vehicle that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009."

I don't know the status of this bill, but if any of you live in these areas I'd urge you to write Senator Bacon and express any discontent.

Also, I have passed two cars with CELs on, both OBD-II, and both with emissions related problems (one had a faulty Evaporative Emissions Controls system, and one had a faulty O2 sesnsor). Maybe it varies from region to region, or maybe the emissions testing places I went to just didn't care.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14

So who lives in larimer that I can 'live' with? :) they need a legal street address i just called.
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14

I just hope they don't make me do emissions out here.....rotaries hate passing emissions!
:eek:

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14

Can I live with you chicken?
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes

http://www.TitanTuff.com

T-time

Postby T-time » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14

did anyone find out if el paso has emmissions? and when would i have to get it done?
im def gonna be ridin dirty (pun intended)
[size=84]Reclaim the Republic. Restore the Constitution.[/SIZE]

Return to “Car Chat”