2008 Dodge Caliber Srt4

General Car Related Discussion
MS3_Mafia

Postby MS3_Mafia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6i_guy @ Oct 2 2007, 02:58 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=2903]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
what how am I a foreigner?[/b]

Oh did I say that out loud... [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] just messin' dude.
2007 Mazdaspeed3 Sport</span>
-Mazdaspeed Short Ram Intake
-HKS SSQV Bov
-Tein S-Tech Springs
-225/40/18 Nitto Neo Gen Tires on RX-8 Wheels

<span style="color:#FF0000">http://www.JTuned.com

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14

You guys will have competition in a straight line, but in the twisties the new SRT-4 pales in comparison to the MS3. Although who mentioned them having a large aftermarket right off the bat is probably right... not sure if any of your are aware of it, but that 2.4L motor is built on the "New Global Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi motor"... guess what other car supposedly shares the same motor? That's right, the upcoming EVO X. From what I've gathered, obviously the displacement is different between the two motors- 2.0L vs 2.4L, and I think the heads are a bit different as well, but IIRC the block casting is supposedly the same (different bore & stroke- rods, crank, sleeves & pistons), I could be wrong, that's just what I've heard. If it is the same, you can bet they'll be sharing a lot of the same aftermarket parts, which will mean the lowly Caliber could end up with a very large aftermarket.

On a personal note, I damn sure wouldn't buy one. Ugly as sin. Not my choice of drive wheels. Handles like shit compared to the former SRT-4. Dodge build quality. Need I say more lol?

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14

Hell Yeah I was right! and yeah Dodge blows...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arctic_blue83 @ Oct 4 2007, 05:22 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=3454]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
You guys will have competition in a straight line, but in the twisties the new SRT-4 pales in comparison to the MS3. Although who mentioned them having a large aftermarket right off the bat is probably right... not sure if any of your are aware of it, but that 2.4L motor is built on the "New Global Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsubishi motor"... guess what other car supposedly shares the same motor? That's right, the upcoming EVO X. From what I've gathered, obviously the displacement is different between the two motors- 2.0L vs 2.4L, and I think the heads are a bit different as well, but IIRC the block casting is supposedly the same (different bore & stroke- rods, crank, sleeves & pistons), I could be wrong, that's just what I've heard. If it is the same, you can bet they'll be sharing a lot of the same aftermarket parts, which will mean the lowly Caliber could end up with a very large aftermarket.

On a personal note, I damn sure wouldn't buy one. Ugly as sin. Not my choice of drive wheels. Handles like shit compared to the former SRT-4. Dodge build quality. Need I say more lol?[/b]
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14

man that thing is ugly looking lol they didnt even try to make it look good

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14

And thats surprising? [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

OpacRX

Postby OpacRX » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14

yeah i guess it is a dodge lol but they did make the viper about the only good thing they ever have made

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14

yeah true.. but gotta get lucky at one point or another lol.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14

My [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/2cents3fo.gif[/img]

Dodge is crap. Chevy too. The only good things they made are the Viper and Corevette.
Dodge is playing the phsycological side of selling cars. They are naming their cars ofter Guns. They say since we are at war lets use that and appeal to the young American military guys and all other "True" Americans. They use words such as. Magnum, Caliber, and even using words like AVENGEr. The cars don't have to look nice at all when playing this side of things.

(remember this is how I see it. My [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/2cents3fo.gif[/img] )

ImageImage

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14

I guarantee you guys that I can put way more power into my SRT-4 than my MS3 without it blowing up. We'll have to see, but I don't have any faith in the Mazda being able to handle as much power as the Dodge can. Part of the reason I haven't modded it yet. I'll wait and see what starts to break.

And throwing around phrases like "Dodge build quality" just screams of fanboyism.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14

I know but Dodge is so fun to pick on [img]http://coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] but I do agree that damn SRT4 can take a lot of beating with stock internals.

LM

Postby LM » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14

Personally, when it boils down to it...I think all automotive manufacturers are the same. You get great experiences and bad experiences with all makes and models.
I myself hate Ford because I have had some real bad experiences with them (a Ford Exploder was one), but they produces some sweet ass cars. I love some Chrysler products; for example, the Jeep Wrangler inline6 4.0l engine...amongst the most bullet proof engines out there. I owned a Dodge Durango for a few years...loved it.

It's a shame but it's also true (or it used to be), but anything American made...is a little under par...was that polite enough...lol.

arctic_blue83

Postby arctic_blue83 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dommo_g @ Oct 15 2007, 01:33 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=5446]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I guarantee you guys that I can put way more power into my SRT-4 than my MS3 without it blowing up. We'll have to see, but I don't have any faith in the Mazda being able to handle as much power as the Dodge can. Part of the reason I haven't modded it yet. I'll wait and see what starts to break.

And throwing around phrases like "Dodge build quality" just screams of fanboyism.[/b]

I don't think anyone mentioned anything about the last gen SRT-4.... I know I didn't.... as a matter of fact, I've seen people put down over 500whp in the old SRT-4 on the stock bottom end, I know it's beefy. Although the "Neon" version (I know it's not called a Neon) came with a cast iron block & forged internals, no fancy tech or heads tricks, no iVTEC, VVTL-i, DISI or any of that other stuff, just a stout ass motor that can take a ton of abuse... which is actually nice. Although since the new SRT-4 is based on an entirely different aluminum longblock, it's hard to say if it will handle anymore power than the Speed3 at this point.

As far as "Dodge build quality", I'll stick by my statement, and I'm not referring to the motor/tranny, but more or less to their typically cheap/rubbermaid style interiors. From the numerous Dodge interiors I've been in, I've never seen one that I would consider to have overall good fit and finish, typically inside things are flimsy and a bit on the plain side. I've driven Magnum's, Charger's, Avengers, Neon's, ect, and have sat inside the new Caliber, which it wasn't then SRT-4 version, but honestly, I think it was one of the cheapest looking cars I've seen this decade on the interior. Don't take my word for it, go check one out. No fan boy here, I have nothing against American cars, I just call things like I see them. No offense intended.

dommo_g

Well....we'll see what this new engine can handle. I'm not so sure about the ability of the aluminum block being able to take the abuse of the A853's cast iron block. They dropped the power rating from 300 to 280 hp, and there had to be a reason for it. BTW...one of the mags dyno'd that to 280 at the wheels.

MazdaGurl

Postby MazdaGurl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:14

Rented the Caliber for my Vegas road trip...it wasn't too bad...gas mileage was good, the drive was smooth, the fit was nice...but I wouldn't buy it.

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

Greek8: I swear Angie has some sort of freak car.

dommo_g

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MazdaGurl @ Oct 15 2007, 10:24 AM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=5517]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Rented the Caliber for my Vegas road trip...it wasn't too bad...gas mileage was good, the drive was smooth, the fit was nice...but I wouldn't buy it.[/b]

I looked at one at a dealership....didn't care for it at all. I'll wait till I see one in person to pass judgement, but it's gonna take a lot of work to make the SRT version's interior look decent.

Although stuff like the chilled/heated bottle holders in the glove box, the drop down speakers in the lift gate and the built in rechargeable flashlight/domelight are really cool features.

Return to “Car Chat”