Which wheels drive you?

General Car Related Discussion
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

So, what are you? Personally, I don't get the "RWD sucks in Colorado" comment. I had 4 days this year that the RX8 (admittedly bad in the snow, especially with performance tires). We did have more snow last year, but I would say the days I couldn't drive the 6 were at least that, if not more. I've also had my Yukon, Tundra, Mustang, MG since I've lived here. The Yukon and Tundra, I can honestly say I don't think I ever put them in 4wd due to weather conditions. Mustang was ok in the snow, and the MG of course never saw snow. Gotta love marketing "You live in big bad snowy Colorado...must get AWD or some form of SUV."

MazdaTom

Postby MazdaTom » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

I tend to agree with you. For decades, the only drive layout for cars was RWD and people got by. It may not be "ideal" in the snow, but it works.

I have a friend that has 2 Mercedes, both of which are RWD. He never has any issues getting around in snow. He did get stuck last winter during one of those blizzards, but that was not uncommon no matter how many drive wheels you had. It probably helps that each of his cars weigh north of 4,000 lbs, but still.

I've mostly had FWD cars. But that wasn't because of snow traction. It is more of a factor of I typically have small economy type cars, and small economy type cars tend to have FWD. There are exceptions....

I used to have an AWD Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0L V8. That thing was fun in the snow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1997 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC V6 Controltrac 4x4
mods- 30" BFGs, AAL + TT = 1.5" lift, more to come

S4poor

Postby S4poor » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ May 1 2008, 02:28 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43922]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
So, what are you? Personally, I don't get the "RWD sucks in Colorado" comment. I had 4 days this year that the RX8 (admittedly bad in the snow, especially with performance tires). We did have more snow last year, but I would say the days I couldn't drive the 6 were at least that, if not more. I've also had my Yukon, Tundra, Mustang, MG since I've lived here. The Yukon and Tundra, I can honestly say I don't think I ever put them in 4wd due to weather conditions. Mustang was ok in the snow, and the MG of course never saw snow. Gotta love marketing "You live in big bad snowy Colorado...must get AWD or some form of SUV."[/b]

AWD FTMFW. I'm a huge fan of it, have been for many years now. Not even for the "bad" weather reasons. After that, definitly RWD. FWD = TS = yuck.

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

There's no denying the fact that AWD is far superior to GOING in the snow....but a lot of these guys forget, it means nothing when you're trying to STOP in the snow.

Huzer21

Of course, RWD preference stated, I've never owned an AWD car. I've had 5 FWD cars, and 5 RWD cars. (not counting the trucks I've owned as well).

LM

Postby LM » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

BMW explained their simple drive train philosophy a while back.
The front wheels turn the car...the rear wheels drive the car.
Makes total sense to me. RWD ftw...even though I voted AWD...:)

S4poor

Postby S4poor » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lightnin McQueen @ May 1 2008, 02:55 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43930]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
BMW explained their simple drive train philosophy a while back.
The front wheels turn the car...the rear wheels drive the car.
Makes total sense to me. RWD ftw...even though I voted AWD...:)[/b]

Don't hold you breath on that. The xi's out sold all other BMW models in the past six months. And the MB 4matic has been doing the same for them.

I do agree however that a true track car is RWD without question.

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMSpeed6 @ May 1 2008, 03:08 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43934]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Don't hold you breath on that. The xi's out sold all other BMW models in the past six months. And the MB 4matic has been doing the same for them.

I do agree however that a true track car is RWD without question.[/b]

Once again, marketing. Until gas prices shot up, people thought they "needed" SUVs, too.

MazdaTom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMSpeed6 @ May 1 2008, 03:08 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43934]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I do agree however that a true track car is RWD without question.[/b]

There was a thing on SPEED a couple years ago. It was about the Honda Challenge Series out in CA. I remember one driver interview where the guy was totally bashing FWD cars saying that are toys and too slow and shouldn't be allowed on the race track. He quailfied 2nd in his S2000- more than a second behind a FWD Civic. The irony was great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

I have seen more 4x4 and awd cars and trucks off the road in the winter. I'm not saying that rwd is better in the snow it is just that people think if all their wheels are turning than they are invincable.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

MazdaTom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RX-7 Chris @ May 1 2008, 03:20 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43939]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
I have seen more 4x4 and awd cars and trucks off the road in the winter. I'm not saying that rwd is better in the snow it is just that people think if all their wheels are turning than they are invincable.[/b]

Oh yeah, you can witness that first hand on any interstate during a snow storm. The number of SUVs/trucks in the ditch/median greatly out number any other drive layout configuration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

Ever since I was very very young and riding in the car with my dad he would always say to the trucks and SUVS hauling past us in a snow storm " see you in the ditch up ahead" I never really realized what he meant by that until I got older and noticed that 50% of those trucks or SUVS would end up in the ditch.. They would be going so fast and hit a patch of ice... sorry but AWD is not going to stop you on ice.. either is RWD or FWD. But for some reason people that get AWD vehicles do think they are invincible.

When I got my CX first thing out of my dads mouth "don't go driving crazy in the snow now that you have AWD"

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

Could it be cause they're the only ones out and about?

ImageImage

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

I'm driving my RX in the same storm.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

ZoomPrincess

Postby ZoomPrincess » Thu May 01, 2008 9:14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Greek8 @ May 1 2008, 03:36 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=43948]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Could it be cause they're the only ones out and about?[/b]

no way, there are TONS of cars out when it's snowing... its just they think they can stop and drive better then anyone else on the roads.

Return to “Car Chat”