Engine Mod advice...

General Car Related Discussion
generalfred

Engine Mod advice...

Postby generalfred » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

Just so happens I have $200 to spend on my stock motor.... I was thinking headers (OBX?) or intake. Which one would make the most power. I know they would work better together, and the headers would be more effective with a full exhaust....but $200 is what I have right now to spend.

Any suggestions on what brand of part? K&N...etc.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

You're not going to notice much of a difference with $200 in power mods on a Miata. I'd save up for this:

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5635&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-16650%20%201990-97
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

generalfred

Postby generalfred » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

I actually have springs, shocks, and sway bars.... I'll go turbo eventually; maybe in the spring. I'm new(er) to Colorado, and am REALLY feeling the loss in power. I want something now that will do something, however small. I had a Subaru back in Florida with headers and intake... the intake made more power than any other bolt-on part. I'm really curious as to how the Miata would respond.

94mx5

Postby 94mx5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

Personally, I would hesitate to do any mods and save a bit more $. The only intake that I think is worth the $ is this one:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/17-1017.html

I had that same one on my 94. Since it is out of your price range, and I don't think it will fit a turbo, wait and save a bit more. You won't be disappointed in doing it right!

In regard to exhaust, the dual is the way to go. Looks great, lighter weight, sounds good, and decent performance for the $. You could always upgrade to a turbo kit later with no impact on the kit.

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

A- Save your $200, add in $300 more
B- Rent one of my RX-8 race cars for a track day, enjoy spirited driving without fear of law enforcement intervention
C- Profit!

Honestly, not sure any intake will help much on a Miata, and the header (with exhaust) helps some, but unfortunately around town you will look like a daredevil screaming through the gears to feel the magic.
Before you do ANY of the mods make sure you ahve a compression test and thorough tune up done, as modding a car thats already down on power due to wear and tear is frustrating.
Best $$ spent for a street car is the turbo kit, hands down. Just the increase in low end torque alone is worth every penny.
Or you could just live with the car being *spritely* stock and rent racecars for your speed fix ;)
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Dange

Postby Dange » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14

if you HAVE to do something now. ebay intake (12 bucks) exhaust and racepipe. the intake is cheap as a meal from a fast food place for some extra happiness. so you wont mind throwing it out.
but the exhaust and race pipe will supplement the turbo when you do get it. which by far is the best money spent on the miata especially at this altitude.

94, im not sure how the dual exhaust is lighter? lighter than stock yes. but a simplistic 2.5" single exit tends to be lighter as it only has about 75% of the piping.
04MSMGT

Outlaw

Postby Outlaw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14

Not sure what it costs to rent one of Dan's RX8's, but that sure would be a great day at the track. My RX8 was a kick in the butt, I can imagine what Dan's would be like. You really won't get anywhere with that kind of money. If there's any left over, go with the K&N. It helped my NA a little when I had it. I did notice a difference...albeit small

generalfred

Postby generalfred » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:14

I ended up doing a RB intake, OBX headers, Magnaflow cat, Pulstar Plugs.... and advanced the timing to about 14 degrees. Wow. It runs so much better than when I bought it. Waaaay better.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14

generalfred wrote:I ended up doing a RB intake, OBX headers, Magnaflow cat, Pulstar Plugs.... and advanced the timing to about 14 degrees. Wow. It runs so much better than when I bought it. Waaaay better.

You did all of that for 200.00? I need to shop more/better:o

But, having seen this, I might need to go by Don's place for a compression test and to see if timing alterations would give me more bottom end.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14

I checked my timing a few months ago and it was a bit low. Bumped it to about 12 degrees and really didn't notice much of a difference. It's still balls slow, lol. I should do a compression test also and see if that's the issue.

I know the altitude is playing a role, but 0-60 is supposed to be 9 seconds and a stock quarter mile of 16.5. That would put the quarter around 17.5 or so up here, and it takes me about 14 seconds to get up to 60 and the one time I timed a 1/4 mile with my phone it was like 22-24 seconds. So there might be something else going on.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

generalfred

Postby generalfred » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:14

Yeah, I run 91 octane, and am at 14 degrees. I also added the plugs at the same time. I found there to be a pretty big difference. The plugs that were in there before looked pretty good... The intake may have done something small for the powerband, but sounds great though. The cat and pulstar plugs made a big difference. The engine rev'd much quicker, and gained a little tq down low. Felt really good. The timing adjustment was well worth doing, I'm glad I took the time to do it. It really brought some life into the engine. The header was worth it too... the engine revs even faster, and the power now starts to pick up around 3k, and the power curve is pretty smooth.

When I first got the car, it kind'a sucked to drive in traffic because of the lack of power. I live in Westminster, and there are some hills here... you really notice them in an under powered car! Now, I can actually "drive" in traffic; pick a spot (within reason) and go.

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14

I'll sell you my StreetUnit race pipe exhaust for $140 if you're interested in freeing up some exhaust hp. It is the best designed race pipe, uses the factory gaskets and bolts up as easy as pie. It also will not trigger any CELs.

Also, it will make your car sound awesome :D
"Littering, and?..."

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14

Does StreetUnit make Miata parts?

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

generalfred

Postby generalfred » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14

Hey Number2,
Is that just the mid-pipe? I looked around online, and couldn't find any info on it... any links?

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:14

generalfred wrote:Hey Number2,
Is that just the mid-pipe? I looked around online, and couldn't find any info on it... any links?

Installation
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f33/how-install-street-unit-test-pipe-stock-exhaust-80043/

When I was researching test pipes, the StreetUnit test pipe reviewed the best for fitment and finish. While others are a few bucks cheaper, they don't fit like the streetunit one does.

I also have one of the resonators deleted by an exhaust shop if you want to trade (cat-back section). It doesn't sound raspy, just a meaner, deeper note.

The reason I am selling is because I want to go full turbo-back.
"Littering, and?..."

Return to “Car Chat”