Accellerator Mod

General Car Related Discussion
Outlaw

Accellerator Mod

Postby Outlaw » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14

Well, for you guys n gals that think the relationship between the accellerator pedal on the Miata's are just wrong, there is a fix. I can't remember how my '97 pedal assembly bolted on but I do know how the pedal on my NC bolts on. I found a mod on the MX5 Miata. net Forum that is truly worth a shot. You basically unbolt the top and bottom bolts on the pedal assy and put an approx 3/8 inch spacer at the top (and a slightly longer bolt) and that sets the pedal back a couple inches (toward the firewall) which allows you to stretch your right leg a bit more. Most doing the mod have trimmed the bottom of the pedal to ensure it doesn't get hung up on the mat. This mod can be varied a bit depending on your height. And no, it doesn't affect the full throttle or the cruise control.

I know someone is going to say (if you had looked you would have found this on a thread here). Oh well, simply put..I didn't look. There just aren't that many NC's here and like I said I can't remember how the NA pedals mount.. It is well laid out on that forum with pics to make it very easy...so there it is. I'm doing mine this weekend. I'm starting with a 1/4 inch spacer.I'll give some feedback on how it works. I came back and edited this post and just added the language from a successful mod from one of the guys on that forum.

did the pedal mount adjustment today and join those already praising it. For those interested in what they're getting into I add the following:
You really need an extension on your 10mm socket ratchet to get the top bolt. With that it's not too bad to reach. going over the top of the pedal. The longer bolt that you want to use to replace the stock bolt is a
M6 x 40 metric flange bolt, 1.0 pitch I got mine at Sears Hardware for 70 cents. I'm using a 1/2" spacer. If you use a less wide spacer, get a M6 x 35 flange bolt, for 65 cents. Flange bolts are just bolts with a washer type thing built into the head, the stock bolt you are taking off is a flange bolt, so the head of the new one fits in exactly to the plastic space in the pedal assembly.
I recommend using more than a nut as the 12 mm spacer between the floorboard and the plastic pedal assembly. To give full support to the plastic piece, I used 1/2" wide oak stock and cut a piece to match the footprint of the part of the pedal mount that touches the floorboard. Basically it's just 1 1/2" square with the top corners rounded a bit, and a hole drilled into the middle of it for the bolt.. Not sure the the rounding is necessary, but it was easy with a jig saw so I didn't try it without. Might fit just as well without hitting the foam floorboard padding. Although the plactic piece is built very sturdy, I'm thinking an extra measure of support at the mount site cannot be a bad thing.
While I was at it, I shortened my accelerator a bit more today, too, and knocked off the part where it widened out on the left side. More room down there to not turn off the cruise accidentally. Works for me.
You can tell that wide open throttle is not effected, because the travel is limited by the plastic mount assembly itself, with the pedal not hiting anything. My pedal was already shortened, but I think you DO need to do the cut (at least a little) or else the pedal would hit the floor as it travels.
Thanks and cudos to sloopercat for having the nerve to first attempt this mod. Once done, everyting is sturdy as stock, just a lot more comfortable. I'm saying that for me it's a wonderful mod, and applying the same disclaimer he did about whether you want to do it for yourself.
FWIW, very short drivers might consider putting spacers at both top and bottom (or just the bottom) to raise the position of the pedal. I look forward to a post of someone trying that out. Drive by wire works well for us, allowing the pedal to be repostioned w/o complications.

Outlaw

Postby Outlaw » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:14

Well, I did it; and I'm glad I did. I've got about 2" more right leg room and it feels so much better. It doesn't interfere with the throttle pedal range at all. I shaved 1" from the bottom of the pedal. Now it feels right. I slid the seat back
2" and the clutch and brake pedal relationship as well as the dead pedal feel great. :D

Return to “Car Chat”