Peterson AFB Auto Hobby Shop - CLOSING

General Car Related Discussion
dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14

Yep....why not piss off the people who aren't likely to vote for you anyway, while pleasing the lower class, minorities and illegals who WILL vote for you. Sounds like a plan.

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14

dommo_g wrote:Yep....why not piss off the people who aren't likely to vote for you anyway, while pleasing the lower class, minorities and illegals who WILL vote for you. Sounds like a plan.

What's funny is that illegals probably WILL vote for him...when they shouldn't be voting at all.

Ah well. EIther way, at least my near-future mods aren't major and won't require a shop with a lift.
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14

dommo_g wrote:Yep....why not piss off the people who aren't likely to vote for you anyway, while pleasing the lower class, minorities and illegals who WILL vote for you. Sounds like a plan.

Ha ha, totally. People are stupid...

Alas...back on topic: How much money is that really saving?

PS (nice to see your mod list has grown Stealth)
one and one makes two, together we are free

PXRdriFT

Postby PXRdriFT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14

There was a letter from the Commander stating that a business review was done and they found that the Auto Hobby averaged $775 profit per year over the last 4 years. There also is a loss of labor support provided to the MWR facilities meaning that the squadron would be footing the bill for that support and could be around $66K per year. The letter also mentioned that a Headquarters Air Force study was independently conducted recently and 46 Auto Hobby's in the Air Force were recommended for closure, to include Peterson.

So basically it came down to being self-sufficient. The Auto Hobby wasn't.

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14

well, i guess when your only charging $4 an hour for the lift. lol

still really sucks.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14

PXRdriFT wrote:There was a letter from the Commander stating that a business review was done and they found that the Auto Hobby averaged $775 profit per year over the last 4 years. There also is a loss of labor support provided to the MWR facilities meaning that the squadron would be footing the bill for that support and could be around $66K per year. The letter also mentioned that a Headquarters Air Force study was independently conducted recently and 46 Auto Hobby's in the Air Force were recommended for closure, to include Peterson.

So basically it came down to being self-sufficient. The Auto Hobby wasn't.

I'm not sure what is meant by "loss of labor support to MWR" or the effect on the bottom line, but it seems like if a benefit to the employees (in this case soldiers) makes 775.00 per year(profit) that it is not only self sufficient, but also provides a good benefit to the employees which promotes increased morale and at no cost to the company. I understand it is military, which to me makes those "benefits" even more important. Soldiers don't make enough (again, IMO), but the benefits are pretty darn good from my understanding. Taking away from those benefits is a detraction from enticing young people into the ranks.

PXRdriFT

The loss of support essentially is they were subsidized with labor which they no longer will be. The only reason they made a profit was because they were given labor support at no cost to the overhead. So rather than making 775 per year in profit, it will now cost 66K per year to keep open. For the squadron to absorb that additional cost, it would mean that something else will have to be cut. The decision was made to cut the service a small number of people use.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14

Well maybe since they're closing, they'll let me move in there. LOL

PXRdriFT

That's a great idea! If not, here's an opportunity to get you a lift!

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14

That's true. Now I just need somewhere to put it lol.

Return to “Car Chat”