Considering a high mileage 6i

General Car Related Discussion
RedRoadster

Considering a high mileage 6i

Postby RedRoadster » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14

Only having one kid car in the family is rather annoying at times, enough for us to consider picking up a second kid vehicle.

I'm considering 6i hatchbacks. The ones that I seem to gravitate towards all seem to have 90-110K miles, which is fine by me if they're in good working condition.

Any issues in particular I should be on the lookout for when these get to this level of mileage? I'm keeping open to auto or manual. I've seen that the 4 speed autos from the earlier years might have issues and that a tranny fluid cooler might be on the list of things to do first off.
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14

I really have no idea. What is your oter kid car? Does a protege wagon fit in this class? Might get better mpg.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14

I really liked my 2005 6i hatch. Fun car, could fit a ton of stuff back there. Never had a single issue mechanically, but I sold mine with around 60k on it. I did have the fabric on the driver's seat wear (the foam had detached on the seat causing the fabric to run on metal) that was replaced under warranty.

I had looked for reasonably priced 6 wagons before I snagged my Volvo. Would've taken one in a heartbeat.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14

i have no advice, but good to hear from ya..

our kids drive hondas ha ha ha (serious)
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14

The other kid car is a 2008 3s sedan, which is the wife's DD. Really no issues in that regard. Some additional cargo capacity would be nice for trips to HD/Lowe's, hence the want for the hatch variant.

Very far future thinking, I'd LOVE to swap a skyactiv drivetrain into a 6 hatch if that was even a remote possibility, since it doesn't look like we're getting new gen 6 hatches here.

Shadowden, I wouldn't say no to a well maintained protege, but I haven't found any that have caught my eye. And mileage between the two is more or less the same, with the 6 having a small hp advantage.

Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)

Flyin' Miata stuff:

FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

turbo99jetta

Postby turbo99jetta » Fri May 11, 2012 9:14

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14

Thanks, but specifically want the hatch. In a perfect world, a blazing copper 6i GT manual hatch. I flat out can't find the GT, so that's pretty much out.

I'd concede the transmission first before the hatchback, which leaves me with an auto 6i hatch, of which there a a good number of choices. I have found a few manual tranny ones, but they all seem to be in florida or vermont.

Flyin' Miata stuff:

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14

RedRoadster wrote:Thanks, but specifically want the hatch. In a perfect world, a blazing copper 6i GT manual hatch. I flat out can't find the GT, so that's pretty much out.

I'd concede the transmission first before the hatchback, which leaves me with an auto 6i hatch, of which there a a good number of choices. I have found a few manual tranny ones, but they all seem to be in florida or vermont.

Wasn't the GT only available as the V6 (a 6s)? A 6i is a 4 cylinder. I also thought all 6i hatches were "Sport" package.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Wed May 16, 2012 9:14

According to brochures, 2007 was the only year that had a 6i GT available as a manual. I can't imagine, however, that many dealers ordered this config. 2008 had the 6iGT, but as an auto only.

That being said, I've never found any.

Flyin' Miata stuff:

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:14

Well, we are now a 3 Mazda household. Joining the 3 and the Miata is a 2005 6i manual hatchback in black with 144K miles. Flew out to Chicago on Tuesday and got home Wednesday evening.

Mechanically solid, with a few cosmetic quirks that need a little attention.

One thing that I haven't found an answer to at m6c, is it possible to adjust how tightly the doors close? The driver's door seems to occasionally exhibit some wind noise at speed, like the door seal isn't quite as tight as it should be.
Attachments
IMG_1857.jpg

Flyin' Miata stuff:

Return to “Car Chat”