traded in mz3 for ms3

General Car Related Discussion
chromal

Postby chromal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14

It was Blackstone Labs' Standard Analysis ($25) plus a TBN analysis option ($10). Most people probably would only want to consider a TBN if they are trying a new oil or a new oil change interval. I had contacted the lab via their web site several weeks in advance of the oil drain to order a free sample shipment container, which they will send out on request.

So other discussion of the analysis-- the 54.3 SUS@210F and 8.56 cST@100C viscosities show how after 3000 miles, the PP 5W-30 had effectively thinned out to the upper ranges of a 5W-20 oil (just barely, so no worries):

This does illustrate why you probably shouldn't let a dealer (or anyone else) put 5W-20 in a Speed3, and why some prefer to operate on 0 or 5w-40 full synthetic; after a few thousand miles, it will tend to dilute or shear down in viscosity. Different oil formulations will respond differently, some are not well-suited to direct-injected turbocharged engines like the MZR L3-VDT 2.3l.

chromal

Postby chromal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:14

Stock tires are pretty much shot at 8K. I'm trying to decide whether I'm better served going with maybe Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric All Seasons (225/40ZR18XL 92Y B, $154 free shipping) for the next nine months, with the understanding that I have a perpetually snow-tire'd Civic and am maybe also swapping my MZ3's old 205/55R16 snows onto the SAAB-- I don't generally drive on snowy days, and when I do, I wouldn't be taking the MS3 anyway (to spare it from the road treatments).

Given all that, should I go with the all-seasons above, or stick to UHP winters (which all seem to have lower dry braking/handling scores)?

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14

If you have other cars to drive in the snow, I wouldn't even go with all-seasons. Get you some nice summer rubber. Why compromise your summer handling for winter handling if you're not even going to drive it in the snow. Although I guess if you are concerned with them becoming hockey pucks in very cold temps, then you might be better off with some performance all-seasons, even though that's kind of an oxymoron, heh.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14

I went with All-Seasons on the MS3. I had a set of winters for it also, but the fwd traction was negligible between the all-seasons and the snows.

chromal

Postby chromal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14

Heh, I'm skeptical of 'performance all-seasons,' too.

I didn't really drive the MS3 for weeks on end last winter, it'll most probably go down similarly again this year. I'll wait for the sun the melt a path to my driveway, and then dart out on clear days to cycle the engine.

I am probably going to try something different this time around than the Hankook Ventus evo V12 K110 I got repeatedly on my MZ3. The Continental ExtremeContact DW supposedly edges out the Hankooks, figured I'd give them a go at $144/tire, shipped.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14

chromal wrote:Heh, I'm skeptical of 'performance all-seasons,' too.

I didn't really drive the MS3 for weeks on end last winter, it'll most probably go down similarly again this year. I'll wait for the sun the melt a path to my driveway, and then dart out on clear days to cycle the engine.

I am probably going to try something different this time around than the Hankook Ventus evo V12 K110 I got repeatedly on my MZ3. The Continental ExtremeContact DW supposedly edges out the Hankooks, figured I'd give them a go at $144/tire, shipped.

I ran the continental extreme contact DWS tires on my MS3, and now on my Evo. They were better than my dedicated snow-tires, quieter than summer tires, and griped near as well. Downside is the sidewall was not as stiff, but that can be a pro or con IMO

chromal

Postby chromal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:14

The tires are here! Looking forward to trying these out soon:

Return to “Car Chat”