Bikes, Quads, or other NOT CARS

General Car Related Discussion
kingtut

Postby kingtut » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14

I know everyone's different and this by no means applies to anyone but me, specifically. But.... If I had gotten a bike before I was 25, I probably would have killed myself. Not that this won't still happen, but the chances of me doing something stupid on a bike are far less likely. With old age, I become more timid, conservative, and fearful of hurting myself. I believe it was 25 when I came to the realization that I wasn't bulletproof.
one and one makes two, together we are free

erod550

Postby erod550 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14

kingtut wrote:I know everyone's different and this by no means applies to anyone but me, specifically. But.... If I had gotten a bike before I was 25, I probably would have killed myself. Not that this won't still happen, but the chances of me doing something stupid on a bike are far less likely. With old age, I become more timid, conservative, and fearful of hurting myself. I believe it was 25 when I came to the realization that I wasn't bulletproof.

Yep. Same reason I'm glad I didn't have a fast car when I was younger. I did some really dumb things in my dad's Oldsmobile Delta 88. If I had access to a fast car I would have wrapped it around a tree or telephone pole for sure.

I did make some cool memories in that car though, like getting it airborne at the intersection of Jet Wing and Astrozon, lol.

Not the actual car, but it looked just like that.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Justin

Postby Justin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14

I'll second that. I rode a bike for a couple of years while I was in college. While I had a ton of fun on it, I very nearly killed myself more than once. While in grad school, I lost a 17 year old cousin to a motorcycle wreck. If you do opt for a bike, get something small (250-400cc) and easy to ride. Crotch rockets are not beginner bikes, and the consequences of screwing up are potentially lethal.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:14

Learjet45 wrote:So since it seems like there's a decent amount of people here with bikes, I was wondering if you all might be able to offer some advice on looking for a beginner's bike.
My main use would be running simple errands (and also to have some fun) when in NY and mostly fun at home during the summers if I don't store it there.
Given a budget of say around $2k or $2500 (I'm hoping I can save up somewhere around that amount by the end of summer/beginning of school), what would you all recommend as a good beginner's bike? Clearly I'm not looking for anything crazy fast or powerful. What are some things to look out for when buying a used bike?

Given the budget, and that it's the first bike, I'd probably try to find a used Ninja 250. There are lots of them available, and they have enough pep to get around town no problem, while getting decent MPG 50+. They won't do well at highway speeds, as they lack the passing power you'd like for safety reasons. But the plus side is that insurance is very cheap, they can be ridden with more gusto without hitting warp speeds, and are cheap to find used as it's likely you will experience a drop. If you are in the cruiser market, smaller engine bikes are harder to find, but more importantly IMO, is that they are often heavier. But honestly, there's so many bikes to be had in that price range, that its really up to you. I'd recommend a MSF course first, then some test rides at a dealer, then start shopping once you narrow down what feels best. After that, GEAR. Don't skimp, it can save your life.

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

Just bought my first bike last night, and absolutely love it! 2003 Honda VFR800 Interceptor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

^^^
Nice! Congrats! Ride safe!
I've always love those things because it's a V4.
Image Image

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

nice! Congrats. Definitely ride safe, and gear up... and MSF if you haven't.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

Nice choice. I've always been a fan of the VFR. Of that iteration, I really like the color scheme of the 2007 anniversary edition. Solid silver, though, is more in line with the bike's purpose.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

Nice Chris! Not a bad consolation prize for your recent loss...
one and one makes two, together we are free

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

Sweet ride man! Enjoy it!
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

Thanks everyone. She's a blast to ride, comfortable as hell, and gets up and moves! And yes, VTEC kicks in, yo!

And yes, I'm MSF'd and licensed. That was first step before shopping for bikes, and I highly recommend taking a course, even for experienced riders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

Andyscums

Postby Andyscums » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

I realize I am pretty much the only Harley/bobber guy on the forum (that I can see) but I sold my Vulcan bobber and picked up an 08 fat bob (not fat boy) about a month ago. Couldn't be happier. Just threw new bars and exhaust on it. But #### wiring. That's all I have to say about installing new bars on a Harley
Attachments
image.jpg

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

I've always wondered about ape hangers. Are they comfortable to ride with? Seems like your hands could go numb on long rides.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14

'11 GSX-R600 few mods and has been ridden on COTA

im looking into getting a motard. just cant decide between the wr250x and ktm 690 smcr

Andyscums

Postby Andyscums » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14

Justin wrote:I've always wondered about ape hangers. Are they comfortable to ride with? Seems like your hands could go numb on long rides.

I'm 6'4 so for me it straightens out my back and makes it more comfortable. It had drag bars on it when I first picked it up but I can't ride for too long with them. It's hard to ride anything if you're tall.

Return to “Car Chat”