Brz/frs/86

General Car Related Discussion
mOOsE

Brz/frs/86

Postby mOOsE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

Been watching this car for a bit and now it's finally poking it's head around town. Anyone else see them starting to appear?

It's a very appealing car with the 2700lb RWD factor. I test drove one with my wife and was turned off by the lack of power though, with our altitude partially to blame. Steering was excellent though, as was the overall feel while driving. Transmission felt great, with solid gates. I've read comments that the shifting isn't Honda quality, but honestly... haven driven several honda's, including D-series, B-series, K-series, etc... I think the shifting is better. It feels more positive and engaged then many cars, ms3 included. I'd seriously consider trading the Evo for one if it was up another 50hp. But it's literally like a Civic at this altitude... and not the Si variety.
Waiting for Justin to chime in lol

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

I see quite a few of them. A friend of mine swears he's going to get one and turbo it. That's about the only way I'd even consider one. I already have one gutless car that handles.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

erod550 wrote:I see quite a few of them. A friend of mine swears he's going to get one and turbo it. That's about the only way I'd even consider one. I already have one gutless car that handles.

haha, true enough. I'm surprised at how quickly the aftermarket has grown for them. You have a selection of turbo's or superchargers already. I'm hoping a TRD option is offered

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

I initially and still do want this car. I bought a Miata cuz it was cheaper especially since i track a lot and tracking a car im making payments on didnt make me feel comfortable.
The brz/frs while slow on the street will be much faster on the track against 'faster' cars.

The EVO is a really great car in its own right. Why do you wanna get rid of it??

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

there quite a few in my neighborhood and kinda tired of seeing them. drove my neighbors, feels nice. almost like a hard top miata but reminds me too much of a scion tc. also its under powered. i know its not meant for that but it could use more torque if anything. if you enjoy the power of the evo then you'll probably going to miss the evo

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:14

I've seen quite a few around. Rode in one a couple times at an autocross. Handles well, didn't seem to underpowered (for autocross), but my head touched the ceiling without a helmet, and the seat bolsters felt too narrow.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:
The EVO is a really great car in its own right. Why do you wanna get rid of it??

I don't :)
I want BOTH haha. It was a loose consideration before the test drive, and not a consideration after. Main appeal was the light rwd factor. Could swing the tail out at legal speeds, get mpg doing it, and not destroy tires very quickly. To do that in the Evo requires much higher speeds and very specific corners. I do get the occasional drift in it, and tail-hanging sweeping corners... but it's impossible to avoid attention doing so in it. Winter is another story though.

iani1.1 wrote: if you enjoy the power of the evo then you'll probably going to miss the evo

no doubt. It spoils the most incapable driver, and rewards those that dare to explore it's limits.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14

I have seen a few around but not many. Parked next to one at the mall and it seems tiny next to the 8. Saw one at the dealer when they first came out and it felt cramped in there. Love the way it looks. Very similar car to the 8. If Mazda still made the 8 they would be direct competitors. With that said if you get one I recommend slapping a Turbo Kit on there if you don't mind voiding the warranty. Makes a huge difference.

ImageImage

Justin

Postby Justin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14

Brigdh wrote:I've seen quite a few around. Rode in one a couple times at an autocross. Handles well, didn't seem to underpowered (for autocross), but my head touched the ceiling without a helmet, and the seat bolsters felt too narrow.

This. I think it's underpowered by street car standards, but perfect for a racing environment where the lower power means it's tougher to get in over your head.

Andyscums

Postby Andyscums » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14

I get to drive the brz at my work every now and then. Not bad for an n/a RWD but I still think it should have had more power in it. Same with that scion that looks similar. I know Subaru and scion partnered when they released them. Overall cool looking car though

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14

Ive putted around in one. it was nice. I was in the FRS, so it was fairly basic. i will say though, with the turbo kits that are out for it now, that thing could be a monster.

millertime

Postby millertime » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:14

It was a fun car to drive. Steering felt a little numb but the only way I could tell that is after driving a miata for 2 years and an FD with the power steering removed for a while. My roommate drove the same one after I did and he didn't notice it at all. Would love to have one with a little turbo on it making around 350 at the wheels.

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14

Mortose wrote:Ive putted around in one. it was nice. I was in the FRS, so it was fairly basic. i will say though, with the turbo kits that are out for it now, that thing could be a monster.

yeah, needs TRD blower asap. Especially up here. Or a 2.5L. I don't exactly believe the HP is the wrong number.... but the torque is just too low. My wife loves the car (for the looks) but reality of power set in when I told her I was flooring it during the test-drive. Granted I didn't take it to redline, I still tried. Her reaction was quite literally "I thought you were being gentle because it was new".

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14

I want it with a NA 2.5L. With individual throttle bodies.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:14

Justin wrote:I want it with a NA 2.5L. With individual throttle bodies.

They may have heard you about the 2.5L but you gotta keep trying for the ITBs.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/toyota-86-to-get-power-boost-20130809-2rleu.html

Return to “Car Chat”