Need help with diagnosing problem

General Car Related Discussion
anywereiroam

Need help with diagnosing problem

Postby anywereiroam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14

Last week driving the protégé it was doing fine but I shift from 1st to 2nd after a red light and I feel the car go no were, I mash the pedal and got nothing, drove home and the car started to idle like shit and did not wana drive.

I just started it up again and idles like shit, id rev it to about 4k and it would rev like it had a misfire but a really bad one even though the car has new plugs and coils etc etc, I also checked for vacuum leaks by spraying carb cleaner all around the lines while it idle ok and I got nothing, next I thought my egr but I just replaced it. decided to take my plugs out and #### they were as white as snow! I then replaced them with a different set started it up and 5 seconds of crap idle and it would die.

so after all these attempts I hooked up a matco tool I have a read all the data while it was on fuel, timing, maf, and checked for codes,

only codes I got were oxygen sensors and intake manifold tuning valve but those have always been there.

What the hell could be wrong with the car?!?!?!

my last assumption was a batch of really bad gas

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14

I would start by checking that you have a good solid spark on all four cylinders. After that I would do a compression test. If nothing else was looking bad.. then I would pull the valve cover and check the cam timing marks. Jumping timing can cause it to run like crap and barely idle. My guess is its probably ignition related.

White plugs means your running lean.. you could have a clogged fuel filter or something.. but I kinda doubt it.. or your lean condition could be from the turbo you slapped on that thing lol. Give me a shout if you need any help, should be free after Tuesday.
2003 MazdaSpeed Potege: Wiseco Pistons, Molnar Rods, Walboro 255, Megasquirt Ecu, Front Mount, Daily Driver.
1991 Mazda Rx-7 Convertible: Rebuilt 4-Port Turbo Block, TII drivetrain swap, Walboro 255, Megasquirt, Aeromotive FPR, JIC coilovers, 4" Stainless exhaust, Ticket Getter.
1976 Honda CB750F: Cafe Racer, Powder coated, Rebuilt, re-bearing/bushing, tapered stem bearing upgrade, Garage Project
2014 Silverado: Mazda Support Vehicle
2003 Subaru Forester: What was I thinking?...

anywereiroam

Postby anywereiroam » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14

ah shit I didn't even think about the timing belt!
I don't think that thing has ever been changed!

Return to “Car Chat”