Weird E-Brake

General Car Related Discussion
whobeyou

Weird E-Brake

Postby whobeyou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:14

I know everyone has their own method of parking their car...but I choose to put it in gear and engage the E-Brake. I will go solely E-Brake if I decide to put a remote start on it for obvious reasons.

HOWEVER, when engaging the E-Brake, sometimes I can pull it to about 4-5 "clicks" until it stops. Other times, I can pull it ALL the way up and it still feels like it will keep going (no resistance). It almost feels like there is air in the system, but E-Brakes are usually cable. And if there was air in my braking system I'd feel it in the pedal. The pedal never changes.

My question is this, is the E-Brake on our MS3's hydraulic? If not, what could be causing this inconsistency? I worry about it because I'm wondering if it's even doing anything when I am able to pull it all the way up. Thanks for the help guys.

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:14

It is a cable, and the first step would be to tighten it down until it feels tight every time you pull it up to 5 clicks.

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14

Mortose wrote:It is a cable, and the first step would be to tighten it down until it feels tight every time you pull it up to 5 clicks.

See that's the thing. Half the time it's tight, and half the time it's loose. I wonder if the cable is sagging and catching on something. I'll check it out tonight and let you guys know.

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

So I took my MS3 in about this issue and they said my E-Brake was a little loose and they had tightened it. BUT IT STILL HAPPENS. Exactly the same. No change....

Basically I can never get a consistent pull on my E-Brake. Sometimes it goes ALL the way up (almost hitting the arm rest). Sometimes you can only pull it up 3-4 clicks (barely up at all). I have noticed it depends if my foot is still on the brake from coming to a stop. What could this be???

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

maybe something is loose by the brake handle?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

Now that you say that, it might be because the breaks are engaged, so the cable system can/can't pull as much.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

In my cars the travel is usually less if I engage the brakes first and then pull the handle. That's how I tend to use the e-brake.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Thu May 29, 2014 9:14

Argh, I'm now convinced it's something else...

I parked it...pulled the e-brake and it started to stop about 3-4 clicks up. Then it "let go" and went to almost the top before stopping. I got out and tried pushing it as hard as I could and it didn't go anywhere. I then preceded to pull the e-brake 6 or 7 more times. One pull would be 3-4 clicks up and stop, then the next would start to stop there, then "let go" again. It would alternate like this surprisingly each time. The whole time my foot was off the brake. I'm going to send it in again for warranty, but I won't be able to for a few weeks. I'm just wondering if it's safe to park out of gear (I put it in gear every time just in case lol)

Return to “Car Chat”