Rebadging Cars

General Car Related Discussion
Huzer

Rebadging Cars

Postby Huzer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14

I've seen a black/black wheels Forester running around with STi badging on it up north. Cool looking ride, except for the aforementioned badging.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14

There was a Forester STI. you sure it was badged incorrectly?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyPkavo66Y"]5thGear - Subaru Impreza WRX STi vs Subaru Forester STi - YouTube[/ame]

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14

Hmm, a RHD import Forester seems like an odd vehicle to be roaming around. As far as I know, they weren't offered stateside.

_AlexTM

Postby _AlexTM » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:14

Huzer wrote:I've seen a black/black wheels Forester running around with STi badging on it up north. Cool looking ride, except for the aforementioned badging.

Whats wrong with an STi badge? Its the same engine and that person is probably running an STi turbo, if they have the 6spd in there it is an STi with a forester body. Thats what all the XT guys do.
SOLD 2004 Mazda3 hatch

2004 Java Black Pearl Forester XT :D

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

Shadowden wrote:The one I am recalling I have seen a couple of times at the I25/Lincoln ave exit. I recall a cargo rack on top, but I could be mistaken.

Cool whip for sure if it was converted to the sti power plant.

Sounds like the same one.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

_AlexTM wrote:Whats wrong with an STi badge? Its the same engine and that person is probably running an STi turbo, if they have the 6spd in there it is an STi with a forester body. Thats what all the XT guys do.

I don't like rebadged cars is all. I don't care if you rebuilt it to STi-type configuration. You bought an XT. It's cheezy, IMO. If I throw a set of Bilsteins and wheels on my Tundra, I'm not going to run out and throw Rock Warrior stickers on it. That's just me. I know other people do.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

Huzer wrote:I don't like rebadged cars is all. I don't care if you rebuilt it to STi-type configuration. You bought an XT. It's cheezy, IMO. If I throw a set of Bilsteins and wheels on my Tundra, I'm not going to run out and throw Rock Warrior stickers on it. That's just me. I know other people do.

I know what you are saying miT. I don't really like badges period. If I didn't need to have the trunk plug welded and repainted to remove the rear badge on my car, I would.

Then there are all those cars that are badged as sti, mazdaspeed, evolution, etc that have different turbos, different suspension, different engine management, etc. and they leave badges on. I even heard of a guy that was going to drop a bigger turbo in a Volvo station wagon:o

:lol:

Sorry for cluttering your thread Alex. :mellow:

Huzer

Split out from Alex's XT thread.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

I also don't like rebadged cars.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

That's it! I'm gonna rebadge my car as a Mazdaspeed Type R and I won't have turbo or Vtec.

Actually i'm more likely to debadge my cars.

Shadowden

Saul_Good wrote:That's it! I'm gonna rebadge my car as a Mazdaspeed Type R and I won't have turbo or Vtec.

Actually i'm more likely to debadge my cars.

Throw some SS or 5.0 badges on there for real power!

Good call on the split miT! You are a great moderator.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

Yea, rebadging is lame. Just another form of rice, imo. There's a guy in my neighborhood who clearly has a regular 5-series, yet he has an M5 badge on it. M5s don't have single exhausts.

I guess he wants people to think he's driving a more expensive car than he is, but I mean rebadging to a much faster model is dumb imo when you can't back it up.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14

I see your point miT.
But I also don't have a problem with an sti badge on a Forester XT either.
That said, it's annoying when I see Hondas with Acura badges.
Then again, I clearly recall you admiring the R volvos and seeking parts for your standard V70 too. I know you weren't rebadging, but I don't see a huge difference...you had R envy- what's wrong with sti envy?

Potato-potatoh, ehhh.
one and one makes two, together we are free

Shadowden

kingtut wrote:I see your point miT.
Then again, I clearly recall you admiring the R volvos and seeking parts for your standard V70 too. I know you weren't rebadging, but I don't see a huge difference...you had R envy- what's wrong with sti envy?

Potato-potatoh, ehhh.

I've seen AP1 S2000s kitted out to look like the S2000 CR edition and I've seen the S2000 CR kitted with new brakes, Penske coilovers, and an AP1 transmission. I liked them. But, i'm not sure why the investment in the CR if you strip out everything that made it the CR except the front lip, but it's not my money. (The CR had no soft top. Hardtop and a really cool tonneau cover when the hardtop was off).

I'll by fronting an oem replica lip on my car, since the oem lips are next to impossible to come by for an AP1 anymore and my other lip was involved in an incident (I should have gotten another GReddy lip).

Huzer

kingtut wrote:I see your point miT.

Potato-potatoh, ehhh.

Sure, I put some R parts on my Volvo, but I never tried to pass off my XC as an R. Even I did a complete transformation of the car, I would never have put an R badge on it. Some people did put the R logo after XC70 on their cars, and I thought that was lame, too. I put Speed6 wheels on my regular 6, but didn't put a Mazdaspeed6 badge on it.

My issue isn't with swapping mechanical items on your car, it's passing it off as something it's not. I don't care if you ultimately end up with your target vehicle after a host of mods, it's still not an R, Si, STi, Type R, GTR, SS.

Again, just my personal preference and something I don't like to see on cars. The badge looked out of place to me on an otherwise well executed car. To others, I'm sure it looks awesome.

Return to “Car Chat”