~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14

I say give it a try!
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

Operator

Postby Operator » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14

So are you saying the OP should just buy a MS3?!? ;-)
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

RXMiles

Postby RXMiles » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14

I vote against boosting your 23. For years I had pondered the idea of boosting my N/A RX7's and there is quite a bit of people who have done so successfully. At the end of the day the cost of boosting a N/A engine outweighs the cost of having a platform that was engineered for boos from the factory, but if budget, reliability and cost are no concern you can have great deal of fun by going turbo. My plans changed over time, the more I learned the more I realized boosting my rx7's was not affordable. I ended up adding a Turbo II Rx7 and have not looked back. Now my plans are to build one of my other cars with full bridgeport to make a killer NA

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14

I'm guessing if budget wasn't a concern, they wouldn't have made this thread. We've all been there. Wanted more speed when we were stuck with a slow car. I looked into boosting my POS 1996 Neon back in the day. In the end it will almost always cost more than it's worth though. It's more than just the cost of a turbo kit. Chances are you'll need a clutch, you could end up breaking half shafts that aren't designed to handle the power, you'll need to do suspension work, motor mounts at the least, to get any kind of traction. It adds up and is never as cheap as you're hoping it will be.

This is not to say that no one should ever boost an NA car. Just if you're doing it because you don't want to/can't spend the money on the higher model that's already boosted, you probably shouldn't because it's guaranteed to cost more money than you're expecting and you probably would have actually saved money by just trading it for the already boosted model. If this is not the case for the OP then I apologize for jumping to that conclusion. No offense meant.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

OrangeVirus

Postby OrangeVirus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:14

at the end of the day, if you don't build that 2.3L engine, you're not going to be satisfied. 8psi /220-30whp is not that much faster.

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

Someone told me the best advice ever.

If it's your daily driver and you want it boosted, buy it boosted. You'll put too much money and stress into the car that it wont be worth it.

If it's a track car, the goal is to blow up the engine each race so do whatever the frack you want with it.

The problem with boosting your NA M3 is that you WILL eventually want to put more than 7-8 pounds through the thing. This means that you'll have to drop around 3 grand in the thing to get it to 8 PSI. Then you'll need to drop 5 more grand into it to go past that point (pistons, fuel, head, tranny, mounts, ecu, exhaust, new turbo, etc...). By then you could've bought a first gen MS3. THEN, when you put it all together, there's no guarantee that it will work right and you'll be without a car for a while...

Basically if you want to drive a boosted car every day, buy it boosted....it's cheaper in the long run.

AuroraAxela

Postby AuroraAxela » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14

I went through the same debate with my N/A Mazda 3. I wanted to turbo it, because I loved my sedan. After much deliberation over the cost I would spend to boost it, I decided to convert it to a Mazdaspeed3. This would have required me to buy a wrecked Mazdaspeed3 to serve as a donor car, and I would have had to swap absolutely everything in the car to make it work.
Then my car got totaled. Decision was made for me. Bought an MS3, and I have never been happier.

Getting a Speed is definitely the best advice in this case. Either keep your 3, and be happy with good gas mileage (I miss that), or buy a Speed and be happy with go-fastz.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Blue"][SIZE="3"]2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT[/SIZE][/color]

[SIZE="1"][color="Blue"][color="Blue"]POWERTRAIN: GTX3067R . Cobb AP . Cobb 3-port . Autotech internals . HTP 3" intake . cp-e FMIC . Forge v1 BPV . TWM STS . CNT Turboback
NGK 1-step colder . Bosch 3-bar . cp-e xFlex™ RMM/TMM/PMM . CorkSport recirc tube . Kosmic EGR delete
SUSPENSION: K-Sport coilovers . Whiteline RSB . custom MS6 wheels
EXTERIOR: cp-e TowPlate . DDM Tuning 5000K HID low/fog
INTERIOR: Defi boost gauge/cp-e defroster mount . NRG shift knob . CorkSport LEDs[/color][/color][/SIZE]

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14

AuroraAxela wrote:Then my car got totaled. Decision was made for me. Bought an MS3, and I have never been happier.

Getting a Speed is definitely the best advice in this case. Either keep your 3, and be happy with good gas mileage (I miss that), or buy a Speed and be happy with go-fastz.

I was able to hit 38mpg in my speed 3... so mileage shouldn't be an issue if you really try ;) But the go pedal makes it tough:D

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14

best mileage i ever saw on the speed was like 32 on a long distance trip.

Return to “Car Chat”