Question for RX7 FD3S

General Car Related Discussion
Bomphyz

Question for RX7 FD3S

Postby Bomphyz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

I'm using S2000 right now but i looking to buy FD RX7 and sell my S2000. I'm not sure about rotary engine coz i heard that engine might not very strong but i still very like the shape. I just need to ask someone about how to choose, maintenance or take care of this car? And i might need to go to other state coz i never see RX7 FD sell in Colorado a lots so can u guys recommend me for this car and recommend for rotary shop too. I'm not a fast driver, just chilling drive. Lol

Thanks.... :)

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14

The fd guys will correct me, but unless you want to wrench on your own car and be very diligent on monitoring the car's vitals, the fd may not be the logical progression. They are awesome cars, but you really have to love them, through the good times and the bad.

You could always go this route
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4664680765.html

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

Bomphyz wrote:I just need to ask someone about how to choose, maintenance or take care of this car? I'm not a fast driver, just chilling drive.

Personally, I advocate plenty of caution when considering the purchase of a car that's over 20 years old. When it comes to cars, this formula typically applies: cheap, fast, reliable...pick two. So if you somehow find a cheap FD Rx7 "and" it's fast...it may not be very reliable...or safe for that matter. And with any 20 yr old car, a lot of things will need to be replaced (bushings, seals, etc)...thereby adding to the total cost of ownership.

The rule of thumb with FD Rx7's is to find the lowest mileage one you can find that's hardly been raced or tampered with. Unfortunately, these pristine unmolested examples can be quite expensive.

Shadowden wrote:The fd guys will correct me, but unless you want to wrench on your own car and be very diligent on monitoring the car's vitals, the fd may not be the logical progression. They are awesome cars, but you really have to love them, through the good times and the bad.

You could always go this route
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4664680765.html

I agree with Shadow. If you don't have the tools & knowledge to repair/tune these cars and their rotary motor, you better have some deep pockets.

But since you're like most folks and mostly enjoy the FD for it's visual appeal...and could car less about what's under the hood as long as it's reliable...Shadow had a good recommendation with that craigslist post.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14

What don't you like about the S2000? I think it is visually appealing as an FD (especially w/a hardtop).

I also concur with Shadow and FDEEZ previous comments.

Return to “Car Chat”