The S2000

Shadowden

Re: The S2000

Postby Shadowden » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14

Burnt up my rear brake pads at the track. Spent some time doing routine maintenance today. Replace rear pads, transmission fluid, and differential fluid. I used oem rear pads since I had them, Honda mtf in the transmission, and redline 75w140ns in the differential. It was recommended by Robert Thorne. Not sure if I need it, but if it helps keep the differential in one piece, then great. Since the rear is a torsen differential, I'm pretty sure the ns isn't needed after talking to DW.

Noticed tonight I have a corner marker out. Will see about digging into it tomorrow.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Burnt up my rear brake pads at the track. Spent some time doing routine maintenance today. Replace rear pads, transmission fluid, and differential fluid. I used oem rear pads since I had them, Honda mtf in the transmission, and redline 75w140ns in the differential. It was recommended by Robert Thorne. Not sure if I need it, but if it helps keep the differential in one piece, then great. Since the rear is a torsen differential, I'm pretty sure the ns isn't needed after talking to DW.

Noticed tonight I have a corner marker out. Will see about digging into it tomorrow.

All this and no videos!?

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:14

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14

Cool radiator. I understand the benefits of the combination system, but want to keep mine seperated. Might be short sighted, but if the opinion that the S2000 doesn't require cooling upgrades by a certain local professional driver with a high HP s2000 is correct, then an improved radiator and oil cooler are not needed. The upgrades I'm planning will already be more than enough and I have the radiator and fan shroud sitting in the garage already.

No video, but did you know that to change corner markers in the s2000 you have to pull the front wheel and part of the fender liner? I didn't either until yesterday, so "digging into it" was pretty accurate.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:14

That's crazy, never heard of a radiator and oil cooler built into the same unit. That freaks me out, how do they know it won't break and run the two together at some point? Maybe I'm not fully understanding how it works lol.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14

I had ordered the wrong size filter (flange ID was wrong) and received the proper one from aFe yesterday. Fresh fluids in the diff and transmission, and a new air filter makes the car feel fresh. RPM seemed to climb faster this morning with the new filter on. Not sure if that is possible or not.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:14

Most cars with automatics run trans oil through the radiator and not fail. Same principle but probably much higher quality!

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14

Need to do this next...even before oil cooler. Parts ordered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHZcE9lJ18

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14

Recieved parts to swap the intake side valve retainers. At least I think I did...didn't bother to open the box, but in hindsight should have. So would love to bang out the following before the next track day:

Mishimoto radiator, samco hose install
Intake Valve Retainer swap
Install front tow hook.

Another way to look at it is, I will not be going to the track until the above are completed. Hopefully before November 6 though.

I need to track down a creaking noise. Thinking it may be coming from the roll bar or the wire loom running past the roll bar. Will check torque on the fastening hardware for the roll bar, then insulate the loom with foam or something. The S2000 is loud enough without additional noises.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:14

I need to read this later...and look into Opera.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/678685- ... rformance/

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:14

Been pretty tied up with other things so nothing getting done with the car lately. I did get it out to my church's car show. Didn't enter it, just drove it there. Only one other tuner/import/sport compact there. A supra that had a lot of the engine worked sured up. Here's the S2K sitting in the driveway with the SSR wheels mounted. I took them back off right afterward since the rear tires look like slicks. I spent some time cleaning the engine bay too. So when I/we do get a chance to swap radiator and hoses, it should be a pretty clean process. On the negative side, I noticed my homemade aluminum/CF brace cover is peeling a little. I think this is an area where I had bad adhesion and it isn't visible so I'll wait to fix it/replace with a pure double layer CF piece (no pics).

20160828.jpg
20160828.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4751 times

Dang, that rear wheel "tire/wheel gap" looks huge. Still rubs and since tab relocation is free, going to move that up on the list to correct. Might need DW to stay at the house for an entire weekend...

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:14

looks good.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14

Ordered a "universal overhead valve spring compressor tool" from Amazon. Made by Neiko. I looked into the Blue Point tool, but for 200.00+ for a tool I will likely use once, it couldn't be justified. This is the tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G ... UTF8&psc=1

Will have DWDUC help me swap valve retainers and check/adjust valve lash. Also picked up the Lisle spill free funnel from a snap on truck. Paid a little less than it would have cost through O'reilly, but more than Amazon, but I now have it so that swapping radiator/bleeding coolant system should be easy.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:14

If I had the time, I would help with the valve retainers. I've done it a few times.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14

DWDUC came down today and helped me install the mishimoto x line radiator and the samco silicone radiator hoses. the radiator was straight forward with the exception of me making him unpin a couple of factory plugs and attach them to the mishimoto fans. also, the s2k takes forever to get hot enough to actuate the fans, so bleeding the coolant system takes patience.

Biggest hurdle was installing hoses. my meager assortment of pliers and the location of the connection points to the block made it difficult to change the hoses. DWDUC lost some skin, but we got it all done. I believe he made it possible by disconnecting a brake booster hose and an egr hose to make hand room. I've read threads where people removed the intake manifold.

still need to do valve retainers since the spring compression tool didn't arrive until 5pm.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”