'92 Miata: Budget Project Car

Huzer

Re: '92 Miata: Budget Project Car

Postby Huzer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14

Having the necessary tools helps, too. I managed to blindly change the neutral switch on top of the tranny. So, it only took me two months (ha), but here's what was accomplished:

New clutch, lightened flywheel, timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, rear main, fuel lines, vacuum lines, accessory belts, fluids, engine mounts, gaskets (cas, valve cover), thermostat, thermoswitch, thermosensor, neutral switch, slave cylinder, extended stainless clutch line, and I'm sure other minor things I'm forgetting. Clutch bled, coolant replaced, tranny fluid, diff fluid, engine oil.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14

Went for a drive this evening, a few thoughts...

Still makes me smile driving the car. Such an inexpensive fun little thing. The lighter flywheel (ACT Prolite) REALLY wakes up the revs, particularly in 1st. It seems to just zip to 6k. I still need an alignment. It feels very solid, despite the little clunks and other noises it makes on occasion. The neutral switch has fixed my stall issue, under decel. For all the research I did, and read about IAC valves, vacuum, etc, well, it was the neutral switch. Granted, I had cracked hoses here and there that I had fixed in the past, so I'm sure a lot of different things played in. I need to fix the wire for the thermoswitch. Right now I have it grounded so the fan is always on. Clutch feels good, shifting is smoother, life is good.

Looking forward to putting miles on the Miata, and fewer on the truck in the next few months!

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:14

Glad you got it all fixed and just in time for the warmer weather.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:14

Happy to report still no leaks. Still no stalling when coming to a stop. I do need to fix the fan wiring, as right now I have the fan wired to always be on.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14

Miata up for sale.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14

why the change?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14

Miata sold. That was quick. I'm going in a different direction, hopefully. I had to be honest with myself that while I was building a track capable vehicle, I wasn't going to dedicate the time actually take it to the track. In making it that way, it was not a comfortable street car for me. It was fun, but time for something different.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14

What the...I get in here to check the status of the build and you sold it LOL. That's a surprise.

Zico told me he wants to get a Miata to track and there are a couple for sale on base so I think we'll go look at those on Saturday.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14

Huzer wrote:Miata sold. That was quick. I'm going in a different direction, hopefully. I had to be honest with myself that while I was building a track capable vehicle, I wasn't going to dedicate the time actually take it to the track. In making it that way, it was not a comfortable street car for me. It was fun, but time for something different.

Nooooo!!!

speedjunkie wrote:What the...I get in here to check the status of the build and you sold it LOL. That's a surprise.

Zico told me he wants to get a Miata to track and there are a couple for sale on base so I think we'll go look at those on Saturday.

Damn why after I leave!!!!?????

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:

He saw the guys racing Spec Miata and liked how competitive it was.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:
Saul_Good wrote:

He saw the guys racing Spec Miata and liked how competitive it was.

Spec Miata is a whole nother (damn is that a word?) pit of money

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:Spec Miata is a whole nother (damn is that a word?) pit of money

Well you might wanna talk to him then before he takes the plunge haha.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Tim. lol

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14

SM is still one of the cheapest, most competitive series you can get into. At least in the RM region. Nationally...not so much. With any spec class like that there will always be people with too much money to blow, spending $30K on a $3K car. Generally, those who have more money than talent :rolleyes: But if I wanted to break into wheel to wheel as a somewhat casual thing, that's probably still where I'd go. Because, AFAIK it's the only "budget" class in Colorado that has any competition anymore. Plus the cars are super reliable and super easy to work on.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14

Ranger wrote:SM is still one of the cheapest, most competitive series you can get into. At least in the RM region. Nationally...not so much. With any spec class like that there will always be people with too much money to blow, spending $30K on a $3K car. Generally, those who have more money than talent :rolleyes: But if I wanted to break into wheel to wheel as a somewhat casual thing, that's probably still where I'd go. Because, AFAIK it's the only "budget" class in Colorado that has any competition anymore. Plus the cars are super reliable and super easy to work on.

Aside from actually having too much money to blow, that describes me to a T lol. I don't have a lot of money, but it doesn't stop me from spending what I do have on the car lol. And compared to a lot of people on this forum, I'm probably fairly talentless too lol.

Even if people had money though, don't the rules help in keeping it competitive?

Return to “Piston Vehicle”