My new 2014 Focus ST! Yes, another one...

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:14

My experience buying my Mustang was pretty good, compared to some of my past experiences. Buying the MS3 sucked. My SRT-4 before that was good but that was because the dealer didn't have to do anything since I had all my financing arranged beforehand and I didn't have a trade. Fill out the check, sign the paperwork, and leave.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:14

Picked up a set of regular Focus Titanium wheels (17" vs stock ST- 18") a while back along with a set of Blizzak snow tires. Finally mounted them in the garage today- just in time for the snow tomorrow!

Thus far, they're much squishier than the OEM summer setup (significantly more body roll) and turn-in has been reduced drastically, but I'm assuming they'll do a decent job cutting through the snow! As a side note, they seem to be quieter than the stock setup thus far...

I'll keep you guys posted!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:14

I've procrastinated long enough. Time to do something about it and get my winter setup. At least I'm off this week (except for tomorrow) so I won't have to drive around much.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

So, we've had a decent amount of snow for a November over the past week. As a result, I've now driven the FoST through several inches of snow over the course of about ~300 miles or so. I'd like to report that it did very well; much better than I expected! To be honest, the Traction Control light only came on maybe 3-4 times throughout all of my driving this past week and most of those times, it was my fault ha! To be clear, when the T/C light came on, my progress was not impeded in the least, as the car was still accelerating without an issue, it just slowed a bit of wheel spin. Once the T/C came on while I was accelerating up a steep incline in 1st gear & I got a bit of torque steer as well; I just upshifted, laid off the throttle and all was well. Other than that, the only times T/C has come on was when I was just a bit too aggressive on the throttle from a stop, and even then, it was only momentary and not really a big deal. I didn't really care for the slight amount of torque steer it got a couple times from a stop (which was mostly my fault), but overall, for a torquey FWD car, it really impressed me.

Once rolling, the car is very stable and sure footed. Same thing is to be said at freeway speeds- very stable and confidence inspiring. Honestly, as speeds increase, it felt and handled almost identically to a few of the AWD vehicles I've owned in the past. I would even go as far as to say it was better than at least 1 of the AWD cars I've owned, as it felt significantly more planted than my old G37x on all-seasons did.

I also went into a couple of snowy parking lots to test out handling prowess. Understeer is very minimal for these conditions (as in I couldn't hardly induce it!), almost no slip to speak of! I'm very impressed with these tires, as the car just went everywhere I pointed it without issue- no real understeer or oversteer to speak of. Granted, I wasn't playing high speed rally driver, but testing sharp cornering at speed gave me a lot more confidence in this car's abilities with snow tires.

Braking was also very good; but that's to be expected for most cars shod with snow tires.

In the dry, the car [on snow tires] isn't that bad either. Granted, they won't come close to cornering like the OEM summer tire setup, but the ride remained fairly sporty. I lost a small amount of steering responsiveness, but nothing major. The car also has slightly more roll to it (taller tire sidewalls are likely a big contributor) and the ride is ever so slightly squishier. Overall though, it was more than worth the trade-off for the winter traction!

When I purchased the FoST, one of my concerns was it's ability to get up my driveway in the snow as there's a slight incline and a steep initial curb that I need to clear to get up it. My concerns are now completely alleviated! Not only has the FoST climbed up my unshoveled driveway several times now, it climbed up it without the T/C light coming on even once!

Overall, the car has done extremely well; much better than I thought it would. Here's a quick pic of my driveway with just a bit of snow on it:

^^^The FoST got up it without so much as even a hint of wheel-spin. I truly had nothing to worry about there.

Either way, cliff notes:

-FWD with snow tires and modern traction/stability control works very well.
-AWD is truly not needed for my normal commute. To those that drive to the mountains a lot in the winter- YMMV.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

Good to hear. I'll finally be getting my winter set on today, every place was booked solid over the weekend. Of course, the snow will all melt, and there's none called for in the 10 day forecast.
[color="RoyalBlue"]1992 Miata Project[/color]

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

Everything comes down to the tires. If you want to brake, corner well in the dry, get tires to match. Same goes for snow.

Those AWD commercials have done a number on us over the years. It's definitely helpful but not mandatory for most of us urbanites and our daily commutes. Just get the right equipment (tires) for the job.

I had some decent snows on my Acura TL-S (when i had it) last year and could make it handle like a rally car in the snow. E-brake U turns were very controllable w/the throttle. I could drive Woodman at speed (65mph), switch lanes and slow down no problem.

Have fun w/those tires!

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14

Thanks buddy! And I agree, tires really do make a drastic difference. Although AWD does have its very noticeable merits: namely acceleration from a stop, especially on steep inclines. But like mentioned in the other thread, apparently there's no inclines that are steep enough to phase the little FoST in my commute!

The FoST has done very well and has exceeded my expectations. However, I would be the first to say that my former VW Golf R on snow tires was even better, if for nothing other than the ability to get off the line quickly ha! Actually, I preferred my old Golf R over my former '06 STI on snow tires; but that was mostly the product of the VW having more advanced/modern traction & stability control and feeling more stable at freeway speeds.

Still though, the tires really have made a tremendous difference. :)

Return to “Piston Vehicle”