Project: Integra

Ranger

Re: Project: Integra

Postby Ranger » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:14

Finally motivated to get back on this after attending the awards banquet for the PPIR Time Attack series. I won a $50 gift card to Summit at the banquet, so I bought this, and the ball joints I need for the steering knuckles. My friend is giving me his stock seat rail modified for L bracket mounting (in exchanged for the fixed bracket I probably won't use), so that solves that problem.

We're hoping to run the car in the winter Time Attack series, while both of their Integras are getting B20 swaps. That will probably be my end goal as well...we all decided that turbo might be fun later on, but isn't necessary for what we're doing. A complete B20Z assembly is $150 pulled from a junkard. No guarantee it'll run, of course, but even with a full rebuild, you've got a motor easily capable of ~130 WHP and greater TQ, and more like 160 with cams, for < $500.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14

That's awesome! But I think you should go vtec B18C1/B16A2 so we can talk vtec bro :P

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14

I've seriously thought about that, but decided against it because of two things: Primarily cost (decent B18C1s still go for around $1500 IIRC, I'd sooner sell the car and get a GS-R), but also the fact that they aren't really ideal for autocross and tighter tracks. That being because of lack of torque, and because it's hard to keep it in VTEC with the stock gearing and factory tune. That's what I'm told anyway. And even my Si has that problem...always fall out of optimal VTEC power band shifting between 2nd and 3rd...really want to get a FlashPro and I/H/E for it so I can safely lower VTEC engagement point.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14

I've done a few 'for fun' autox's and came out top 10 out of the 30 or so participants. Also, i'm 100% stock. Just gotta keep it in 2nd gear. The GSR engages vtec at 4k rpm and opens up the secondary runners at 5700rpm.

I am looking to get into the more serious SCCA autox again and looking to run street tire, stock class. I'll let you know how I do.

VTEC y0!

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14

vtec yo, indeed. I would also like to lower my engagement point, but that is a little further out for me.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14

So I started working on putting the new belt in and decided I'm going to try to make the fixed bracket work. That's because the modified bracket my friend has doesn't have a mounting point for the passenger-side lap belt. He bolted it through the floor (pretty common practice for race cars as long as the floorpan is reinforced). I could do that, but I'd rather not.

Saul_Good wrote:I've done a few 'for fun' autox's and came out top 10 out of the 30 or so participants. Also, i'm 100% stock. Just gotta keep it in 2nd gear. The GSR engages vtec at 4k rpm and opens up the secondary runners at 5700rpm.

That's good to know. When I drove my Si at the PPIR time attack events though, and even in the Integra, keeping it in 2nd was slow. Gotta shift to 3rd in multiple places.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14

Got a bit of work done on the front suspension over the weekend. It wasn't long before I realized that I need to pull the axles before I can go any further. That's because they're right over the top of the radius rods, making it impossible to get the rods out (no room for a socket). You can kinda see what I mean here. The radius rod is the bar sticking out past the wheel in the bottom left. With the exception of the shock and the upper control arm, ALL of this has to be removed.

Getting the axle nuts off wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. A good dousing with PB Blast, followed by ~5 minutes of blowtorch, was enough for my crappy electric impact gun to get them off.

The guy I bought it from swore that the axles had recently been replaced, so here's hoping that's true. I haven't yet attempted to pull them, because the Phillips head screws that hold the rotor on have seized, and I haven't been able to drill them out...my drill bits really aren't meant for that. Those are the next steps anyway.
Last edited by Ranger on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14, edited 1 time in total.

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:14

Those rotor screws are a pain. I don't even try to take them out without the impact driver.

A company called Gard makes some very high quality left handed drills if you are ever looking to buy some good bolt / screw extraction stuff.

Return to “Piston Vehicle”