Saul's 1998 Integra GSR coupe

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Saul's 1998 Integra GSR coupe

Postby Saul_Good » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:14

So several weeks ago I bought this 1998 Integra GSR and sold my CRV a couple days after. I've always wanted to own a GSR since the 90s. Unfortunately I was distracted by other model cars, as well as finding an unmolested unriced out honda/acura being near impossible to find. Well the moon and the stars finally aligned and I was able to find this 100% stock representation. The body has imperfections, but mechanically it's perfect (minus some maintenance and wear items).
My plans are to just make it as clean and reliable as i can. The suspension is original 18 year old stock with 153k miles, so those will be replaced. Again, nothing crazy, just some koni and bilstein replacement shocks to bring back that oem freshness. Eventually I'll get to the motor mounts bushings etc.
I've been loving blasting this around hearing the motor roar. Reminds me of when I was a broke college kid wishing I had more money back then. The feeling I have is "I finally got it!"

I still have the Miata and will keep using that for track until I lose interest in it.

Huzer

Re: Saul's 1998 Integra GSR coupe

Postby Huzer » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:14

Nice ride! Congrats on finding an unmolested one.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14

Is that the last stock one in the country? That is rarer than a Ferrari.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Is that the last stock one in the country? That is rarer than a Ferrari.

They're out there. Whenever i get done ill hope to have one of cleaner stock ones out. Ive been using oem parts up to this point. The only non-oem thing will be the Bilsteins struts, whenever I get enough money to get them....

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14

Did this back in January but I finally had time to post. Got my Bilsteins put in to replace my high mileage worn out shocks. The difference was apparent. The car handles amazing. Sucks the bushings I wanted were all backordered, Would have been nice to have everything refreshed... After installing those i threw it up on hubstands and aligned it. Still more to do to get it near 'new'. Overall loving the car and the high revs.
Last edited by Saul_Good on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14, edited 1 time in total.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14

The braking on this car is the same stuff from when i purchased the car. I figured now is the time to address it.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14

Nice. What made you go with the stoptech pads vs carbotechs?

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Nice. What made you go with the stoptech pads vs carbotechs?

Price $100 front and rear. I don't plan on tracking this as hard as the miata and wanted a dual purpose pad for the occasional autox / trackday. I understand the tradeoffs with this pad and know i won't be out braking people but it'll allow me to have fun with the car while providing consistent braking.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14

Nice. Get me a hookup on some carbotechs. X10 front x8 rear I think is the s2k track setup.otherwise, x8 on all 4 since I'm still a big noob.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Nice. Get me a hookup on some carbotechs. X10 front x8 rear I think is the s2k track setup.otherwise, x8 on all 4 since I'm still a big noob.

I get my brakes at www.brakeswap.com

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:14

Obligatory alignment pic :D Since stock camber is not adjustable, I focused my efforts on the toe. I went with 1/16th toe out front and rear to make the car more lively in the corners.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:14

So I dunno if I should be upset or impressed. Basically between May 2016 and the time I bought my car the odo went from 203k miles to 152k. The car runs great and I recently had a valve adjustment. My mech buddy told me everything on the topend looked good, and when he replaced my oil pan several months ago, he did not note any issues.

The car runs great, and for the most part was taken care of with routine maintenance done by the previous owners (minus this gauge cluster swap). I am wondering if it is okay to track/autox this car now... I assume with diligent maintenance the car should be good??? Thoughts??

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14

It's a Honda. Track and be happy. Or continue to beat on your miata and preserve this as you have been trying to do.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14

^ That. My buddy's done a couple dozen track days on his bone stock DA motor and it hasn't had a single problem. B series engines are stout. Valve lash is the only thing that might need adjustment, but it sounds like that was checked already.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14

Copy that. Swapped all the fluids (brakes/clutch) and regreased all sliding pins on my calipers. My Hardrace rubber bushings are FINALLY in stock and scheduled to be dropped off this Monday. Once those are in I'll start to look at autoxing it or some sort of open track. Aside from the aesthetics, I think I have it close stock level performance and will be able to get some nice baseline track numbers (assuming I can still somewhat drive :P ).

Return to “Piston Vehicle”