Autocross feature on mvptvsports

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
jamiel

Autocross feature on mvptvsports

Postby jamiel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:14

Here's a great video segment done by http://www.mvptvsports.com about our autocross this last Saturday in the Springs. The car I drive now is the silver Scirocco that spins at 00:58. I've also driven the Viper that is featured ;) http://www.viddler.com/explore/mvptvsports/videos/17/

*DarthRX8*

Postby *DarthRX8* » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14

Wish I would have known about this ahead of time. I live two minutes down the street from the world arena.

Would have put my 8 through the cones :)

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14

That event was so much fun! It was my first time and I'm totally coming back!
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

*DarthRX8*

Postby *DarthRX8* » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14

jamiel wrote:we'll be back 4/11 http://rmsolo.org/schedule.html

Thanks for the info! Should be fun :D

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:That event was so much fun! It was my first time and I'm totally coming back!

Glad you could make it out, solid finish for a first timer, glad you had a good time!

If you want a rider/ coach, or want to take a ride before your heat (during winter events, anyone can ride with anyone any time), come find me in the silver FSP Scirocco.
During summer events, novices can still take rides before their heat, definitely something to take advantage of. You can get rides in some cool cars, and seeing the course at speed before hand is really helpful.

Looking at your to-do list, some seemingly simple add-ons put you in a different (much more $$s to be competitive) class, something to keep in mind. Your car is one of the cars to have for HS.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14

jamiel wrote:Glad you could make it out, solid finish for a first timer, glad you had a good time!

If you want a rider/ coach, or want to take a ride before your heat (during winter events, anyone can ride with anyone any time), come find me in the silver FSP Scirocco.
During summer events, novices can still take rides before their heat, definitely something to take advantage of. You can get rides in some cool cars, and seeing the course at speed before hand is really helpful.

Looking at your to-do list, some seemingly simple add-ons put you in a different (much more $$s to be competitive) class, something to keep in mind. Your car is one of the cars to have for HS.

Chris Mayfield has kind of been my guide in this. He's been awesome at snagging me rides with people and I've gotten to network a bit myself. I'd love to take a ride in the scirocco though. Any exposure I can get will greatly help me.

The first thing I am doing as soon as my tax refund comes in is getting myself new wheels. That can't be put off anymore lol. I'm pretty sure that will still keep me in stock class. Chris wants me to do the damper set but I know I wouldn't be competitive in a different class. I have to talk to him and see what I can do to make myself more competitive in a stock class.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:Chris Mayfield has kind of been my guide in this. He's been awesome at snagging me rides with people and I've gotten to network a bit myself. I'd love to take a ride in the scirocco though. Any exposure I can get will greatly help me.

The first thing I am doing as soon as my tax refund comes in is getting myself new wheels. That can't be put off anymore lol. I'm pretty sure that will still keep me in stock class. Chris wants me to do the damper set but I know I wouldn't be competitive in a different class. I have to talk to him and see what I can do to make myself more competitive in a stock class.

Chris is great, and fast. The Scirocco is a blast, come get a ride sometime.

Wheel need to be stock diameter and width or smaller to be stock legal
stock also allows replacement of:
front swaybar
shocks can be replaced with dual adjustable with remote reservoir (no shorter/ stiffer springs or adjustable spring perches though)
cat back exhaust
air filter (no CAI or SRI though)
DOT legal R compound tires (Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, etc)
brake pads

As I'm sure Chris has told you, The best bang for your buck is dampers and tires, but it's great to learn on your street tires to begin with. Basically, don't worry about spending a bunch of money on upgrades, work on your driving skills first.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14

jamiel wrote:Chris is great, and fast. The Scirocco is a blast, come get a ride sometime.

Wheel need to be stock diameter and width or smaller to be stock legal
stock also allows replacement of:
front swaybar
shocks can be replaced with dual adjustable with remote reservoir (no shorter/ stiffer springs or adjustable spring perches though)
cat back exhaust
air filter (no CAI or SRI though)
DOT legal R compound tires (Hoosier A6, Kumho V710, etc)
brake pads

As I'm sure Chris has told you, The best bang for your buck is dampers and tires, but it's great to learn on your street tires to begin with. Basically, don't worry about spending a bunch of money on upgrades, work on your driving skills first.

That's exactly what he told me today! But I don't have an endless supply of money to fund the modifications I would like to give my car. I found a set of Konig Runaways that are the same size as my stock wheels and they're only 17lbs compared to my 21lb wheels. I'm looking into getting Dunlop Z1 star specs when this damn white stuff stops coming out of the sky. As far as the other mods, I'm not sure what brands to look for or anything like that. Any brands you suggest that work well/are made for Mazdas?

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote: I'm looking into getting Dunlop Z1 star specs when this damn white stuff stops coming out of the sky. As far as the other mods, I'm not sure what brands to look for or anything like that. Any brands you suggest that work well/are made for Mazdas?

The Dunlop Z1s are great. For dampers, Koni yellows are hard to beat for price/performance- and HS legal, but go with what Chris recommends.

Return to “Autocross”