Roll call for autocross 12/12/10

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
jamiel

Roll call for autocross 12/12/10

Postby jamiel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14

Registration is open until Thursday for the autocross at Front Range Airport Sun 12/12. go here: http://rmsolo.org/ click "registration"

FRA is much larger than Dick's, and a short drive from Denver, come out and play!

As always, let me know if you have questions, need a hand before/during, or want a ride (Silver Scirocco)

Dange

Postby Dange » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14

was planning on coming up, but my roommate is coming into town that weekend so i gotta help him
04MSMGT

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14

I'll be there! Gotta test out the CAI I just got on :)
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

tbot

Postby tbot » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14

someone wanna gimme a ride...i'd like to go
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14

Do you need a car to drive T?

chromal

Postby chromal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14

I am really really tempted to show up in my beater honda, winter tires and all, and just have a good go at it. Plus, it'd give me a number to beat next time (the course is identical each time, right?). I know I'd need to beg, borrow, rent, or steal a helmet (unless I could use my caving helmet, haha). Well, lots of info at the website.

From where I sit, I can't think of anything I'd rather do on a random Saturday...

edit: well, I've registered to attend with my Honda for a H-stock class solo. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14

Wanted to go badly to this but Sunday will be our last day in Golden so I gotta work. Looks like I should be free in Jan though. Hope the weather is good.

ImageImage

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

chromal wrote:I am really really tempted to show up in my beater honda, winter tires and all, and just have a good go at it. Plus, it'd give me a number to beat next time (the course is identical each time, right?). I know I'd need to beg, borrow, rent, or steal a helmet (unless I could use my caving helmet, haha). Well, lots of info at the website.

From where I sit, I can't think of anything I'd rather do on a random Saturday...

edit: well, I've registered to attend with my Honda for a H-stock class solo. Here's hoping the weather cooperates.

I'd check to see if you're HS legal. Generally 3 Door Civics are elsewhere. You'll be competing against my car in HS with two of my friends driving.

And the course is different every time you run.

Dange

Postby Dange » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

with my mods i wonder what class ill be in... and what ill be against
04MSMGT

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

na dont need a car...just would be nice to go and do something for once
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bellalyssa

Dange wrote:with my mods i wonder what class ill be in... and what ill be against

You'd probably be in SM, but I'm not entirely sure.

chromal

Postby chromal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:I'd check to see if you're HS legal. Generally 3 Door Civics are elsewhere. You'll be competing against my car in HS with two of my friends driving.

And the course is different every time you run.

From what I could see on the SCCA classification docs online, unmodified Honda Civics are H-stock, but it really makes no difference to me if there's some class they'd rather put it in. Regardless, it'll be the slowest thing on the track. :) In a way, that's good. I can focus on making the best run I can and not worry about being competitive. :D

I'm a little bummed it isn't the same course every time, dunno how you're supposed to master it or compare times from one meet to the next. I had hoped it worked a little more like the Top Gear test track. Oh well, it'll be fun either way.

edit: Actually, wading through the 600+ page 2010 SCCA rule book, I can't even find the H-stock class. I'm wondering what I was looking at and confusing myself with. Hopefully they'll be patient with this novice. Though I'm now realizing that I may have to bow out, they seem to have written that they require U-rated tires, and I'm pretty sure my Civic is equipped with Q-rated tires. That'd be ironic, since there's no possibility of exceeding Q tire speeds on anything but a long flat (or probably downhill) stretch. I've never gotten this civic above maybe 112mph, and that took quite a windup and was done below 1500ft elevation anyway.

I guess I'll try to e-mail someone over there and get an answer one way or another. I'd be pretty irritated if I made that 60 or so mile trip (one way) and paid $50 registration only to be told I may not run.

bellalyssa

chromal wrote:From what I could see on the SCCA classification docs online, unmodified Honda Civics are H-stock, but it really makes no difference to me if there's some class they'd rather put it in. Regardless, it'll be the slowest thing on the track. :) In a way, that's good. I can focus on making the best run I can and not worry about being competitive. :D

I'm a little bummed it isn't the same course every time, dunno how you're supposed to master it or compare times from one meet to the next. I had hoped it worked a little more like the Top Gear test track. Oh well, it'll be fun either way.

You get three runs to improve your time on. It's all about being able to recognize certain features and learn how your car handles on them.

In all honesty my car isn't H-Stock legal but that's what my friends want to run and its a winter series event so most won't care. I'm running in Womens with an ST PAX.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

tbot wrote:na dont need a car...just would be nice to go and do something for once

You can go with Randy and I- we meet at I-25 and the Johnstown exit, or I can pick you up on the way out there if you want to leave your car at home. email/pm me to set it up.

The Scirocco is a crazy-fun car to get rides in.

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:14

chromal wrote:I am really really tempted to show up in my beater honda, winter tires and all, and just have a good go at it. Plus, it'd give me a number to beat next time (the course is identical each time, right?). I know I'd need to beg, borrow, rent, or steal a helmet (unless I could use my caving helmet, haha). Well, lots of info at the website.

Great to have you! We have a new novice program starting this event too.

courses are different every time, but there is a points system that you can use as a metric to compare from event to event.

There are free loaner helmets there.

Post here or PM me if you need more info.

Return to “Autocross”