Autocross 1/15/11

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
GR-8

Autocross 1/15/11

Postby GR-8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14

Who's going to this? Looks like a Green RX-8 is already signed up. I'm thinking about making this my first one ever. This month and Feb are most likely the only chances I'll get cause when we open the new restaurant I won't have time. So If I do go I'm gonna need someone to hold my hand. I need to decide before registration closes and I wanna see how the weather is gonna act cause it's out in Watkins.

I need help figuring out my class... well I think I got it but just want to be sure. I beleive I'm in STX even though I am Turbo Charged. I downoaded the PDF with the list of all cars and that is also what a stock RX-8 is in.

A stud is broken on one of the rear wheels so I need to fix that to have all five lugs on. Anything else I need to look over? Can someone link me to important stuff I need to know/read. (So I know I'm reading the right info) As far as helmets.... They have loaner ones right?

I know some of this has been gone over before but I just want to be sure.

ImageImage

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14

Where is it?

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Where is it?

Front Range Airport in Watkins. Way-out off of I-70.

Directions:
Take I-70 east from Denver to take exit 299 (N Manila Rd/Co Rd 28) north. Take the first right past CO 36/E Colfax Ave and the railroad tracks. This is the entry to the airport property. Follow the road east and then north.

ImageImage

chromal

Postby chromal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14

I was there for the December event, for all intents and purposes my first autocross event, and it is a really nice location LOTS of room for the track, they hold it on a disused general aviation 'parking lot' (tie down points in the ground at some points, only they've deleted them and paved over a lot of those.) I'd expect the weather at the January event is going to be a bit more hardcore, and colder tires all around. I really wish I already had non-snowtires for my civic, but I'll probably just show up on them again, what the hell, it's fun. :) Also, the organizers seem to have it really together.

There's some good info @ rmsolo.org.

Hschlick84

Postby Hschlick84 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14

I really need to get my car to AutoX in the near future. I've always wanted to back in the day with the Versa, but always felt like the car was underpowered and felt intimated by it. With the 3 being completely stock at the moment, I might have to wait a bit before jumping the gun.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14

Hmmm, if I can get my car tuned by then I might be up for this.

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14

Hschlick84 wrote:I really need to get my car to AutoX in the near future. I've always wanted to back in the day with the Versa, but always felt like the car was underpowered and felt intimated by it. With the 3 being completely stock at the moment, I might have to wait a bit before jumping the gun.

My 3 was completely stock when I started and I had a blast. You'll do fine :)

I'll be there but not competing and Chromal is right, check out the forums on rmsolo.org for classing information.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14

bellalyssa wrote:My 3 was completely stock when I started and I had a blast. You'll do fine :)

I'll be there but not competing and Chromal is right, check out the forums on rmsolo.org for classing information.

So you can help walk me through everything? I think RMsolo.org is wehre I got the PDFs for classing. What's the difference between Stock and Street Touring? I based my classing off the Street Touring reqiurments. I read the Getting Started on RMsolo.org.

STX:

[font=Arial][size=75]Coupes/Sedans
[/SIZE][/font]
[font=Arial][size=75]- 4 seats minimum [/SIZE][/font][font=Arial][size=75]except sports car-based[/SIZE][/font]
[align=left]
[font=Arial][size=75]Engine size (maximum)
- 5.1L normally aspirated or
- 2.0L forced induction (turbocharged/supercharged)

ST Rules plus STX allowances/restrictions
[/SIZE][/font]
[/align]

ImageImage

bellalyssa

I can definitely help you. Don't forget to sign up at rmsolo.org so that they know you're coming. I'll probably be in my hatchback smoking hookah during the race and watching since I'm pretty much there to support people. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to people who race RX-8s in B-Stock and other people who can give you a better idea of how to pull the best potential out of your car. Chromal knows how helpful the community is (he shaved 8 seconds off his time from first to second run) and got a lot of ride alongs.

Street Touring (from my understanding) allows for modifications such as springs, shocks/struts, camber plates, intakes and exhaust while staying on Street Tires. You can't remove interior pieces of the car to save weight unless you're replacing things, such as an intake. Street Touring does not allow for engine swaps or Turbos of NA engines.

Stock you can only replace the shocks/struts and the tire. In Stock class you can run slicks as long as they are on the stock wheel size.

You will probably be in a mod class of some sort because you Turbo'ed an NA engine. I don't know much about the mod or prepped classes because I don't race in them, but I can ask around if you PM me a list of your mods.

GR-8 wrote:So you can help walk me through everything? I think RMsolo.org is wehre I got the PDFs for classing. What's the difference between Stock and Street Touring? I based my classing off the Street Touring reqiurments. I read the Getting Started on RMsolo.org.

STX:

[font=Arial][size=75]Coupes/Sedans
[/SIZE][/font]
[font=Arial][size=75]- 4 seats minimum [/SIZE][/font][font=Arial][size=75]except sports car-based[/SIZE][/font]
[align=left]
[font=Arial][size=75]Engine size (maximum)
- 5.1L normally aspirated or
- 2.0L forced induction (turbocharged/supercharged)

ST Rules plus STX allowances/restrictions
[/SIZE][/font]
[/align]

GR-8

bellalyssa wrote:I can definitely help you. Don't forget to sign up at rmsolo.org so that they know you're coming. I'll probably be in my hatchback smoking hookah during the race and watching since I'm pretty much there to support people. I'd be more than happy to introduce you to people who race RX-8s in B-Stock and other people who can give you a better idea of how to pull the best potential out of your car. Chromal knows how helpful the community is (he shaved 8 seconds off his time from first to second run) and got a lot of ride alongs.

Street Touring (from my understanding) allows for modifications such as springs, shocks/struts, camber plates, intakes and exhaust while staying on Street Tires. You can't remove interior pieces of the car to save weight unless you're replacing things, such as an intake. Street Touring does not allow for engine swaps or Turbos of NA engines.

Stock you can only replace the shocks/struts and the tire. In Stock class you can run slicks as long as they are on the stock wheel size.

You will probably be in a mod class of some sort because you Turbo'ed an NA engine. I don't know much about the mod or prepped classes because I don't race in them, but I can ask around if you PM me a list of your mods.

Ok, so I was wrong about class. Yeah, I have a TK on there, no aftermarket suspension barts. Aftermarket Stut Tower Bar, Upgraded ignition coils. Uhhhh, What else is important? You don't need every little thing like AP, Wheels, Exhaust, gauges? Just the big stuff..... Will be on street tires.

ImageImage

bellalyssa

GR-8 wrote:Ok, so I was wrong about class. Yeah, I have a TK on there, no aftermarket suspension barts. Aftermarket Stut Tower Bar, Upgraded ignition coils. Uhhhh, What else is important? You don't need every little thing like AP, Wheels, Exhaust, gauges? Just the big stuff..... Will be on street tires.

Honestly, any engine work you had done. I just posted on RMsolo and said you had a turbo, intercooler kit, intake, exhaust and tune. I'm assuming that's the least of what you've put on there. Those will probably be your big determiners. Just in case though, post up your engine work and I'll make a note about stock suspension and street tires.

To give you an idea of what turbo kits do for classing. If I had turbo'ed my car, I'd be in FSP which allows for a whole mess of modifications including body, interior stripping, racing slicks etc.

GR-8

bellalyssa wrote:Honestly, any engine work you had done. I just posted on RMsolo and said you had a turbo, intercooler kit, intake, exhaust and tune. I'm assuming that's the least of what you've put on there. Those will probably be your big determiners. Just in case though, post up your engine work and I'll make a note about stock suspension and street tires.

To give you an idea of what turbo kits do for classing. If I had turbo'ed my car, I'd be in FSP which allows for a whole mess of modifications including body, interior stripping, racing slicks etc.

Pretty much what you wrote is what is there. I also have upgraded injectors and the ignition coils too. Other than that nothing else done to the motor.

ImageImage

bellalyssa

You are in Street Modified :)

GR-8

bellalyssa wrote:You are in Street Modified :)

Cool, thanks so much. I should sign up there to get on the forums. I noticed that most everyone uses their names as user names. When I sign-up for an event does my name have to match my Driver License? I don't want to sign-up as Jimmy then not be able to run.

ImageImage

bellalyssa

GR-8 wrote:Cool, thanks so much. I should sign up there to get on the forums. I noticed that most everyone uses their names as user names. When I sign-up for an event does my name have to match my Driver License? I don't want to sign-up as Jimmy then not be able to run.

So on RMsolo we have usernames and then names we go by on the forum. My username is llombardo but my full name Lyssa Lombardo is what I registered with so it's what shows. They are fine with nicknames on RMsolo but on other registration sites it isn't ok. This event we are using the RMsolo so sign up as Jimmy XXXX and you'll be good to go!

Return to “Autocross”