2011 MS3 Auto Cross Where do I get started?

The forum to talk about hitting cones.
ZoomMe

2011 MS3 Auto Cross Where do I get started?

Postby ZoomMe » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:14

Hello I am new here.
I have just over 1k miles on my Red 2011 MS3.
Great Car.....Fun Car!

I want to learn to drive my car to its potential. I think Autocross would be a great way to learn. I have never driven on a track. Total newbie.

I live in the Arvada - Golden area.
I would like to learn what are the best mods or what mods fall into what catagories. So I dont bump myself up unknowing.
I would like to know about :
Induction.
Rear Moter mount.
Short Shift kit w bushings.
Wheels ( looking for that second set w tspm for my new stock tires, riding on winter tires now )
Thanks
I look forward to see you all at the track.

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14

I suggest you try the car just like it is. It will give you a good base line and will show you what your future upgrades can do. The autocross (RMSolo) will teach you so much and it is fun. You will meet many others, some with the same car you run. You can ask them what mods they would suggest. The lessons learned by others can help you decide where the best money is spent. The lessons you learn with this car will stay with you on future projects/cars.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:14

MS3? I'm guessing it's the MX3. That is a great car for the autocross! Check into the rules before modifying your rig. "Stock" classes can be alot of fun, and easy(er) on the budget. If a modified car is in your plans, check the rules and build toward a "goal/class" so that you can enjoy and be competitve. We've got a RMSolo race coming up on Feb 20th. Weekend memberships are available for ten bucks at the event (but remember to preregister).
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

Welcome

it's a 2011 mazdaspeed3
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

bellalyssa

Postby bellalyssa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

Depending on what class you'd like to be in, a short shifter kit will throw you out of stock class. Stiffer mounts are fine and upgrading your turbo at all puts you into either a modified or prepped class.

I suggest you do what Jeff says: go to an autocross with your car stock and that way you'll appreciate the modifications. Other people will also give you great advice as to how to better upgrade your car.

BTW... most people start with suspension upgrades before touching the engine or wheels.
2004 Mazda3s Hatchback: Totalled
2002 Audi A4 Avant: Sold

2013 Subaru WRX 5-door: Stage 1

reconbygod12

Postby reconbygod12 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

sway bars
lowering kit
full twm short throw kit
i run bridgestone potenza tires but tread got ripped off pretty good

i havent done it though since i went to wisconsin after i got home from iraq but i was having fun with that set up granite i still have shit ton of other mods
2008 wrx sedan-new love
09 cwp mazdaspeed 3 GT-gone
04 mazda 6s-gone

jamiel

Postby jamiel » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

ecam8000 wrote:I suggest you try the car just like it is. It will give you a good base line and will show you what your future upgrades can do. The autocross (RMSolo) will teach you so much and it is fun. You will meet many others, some with the same car you run. You can ask them what mods they would suggest. The lessons learned by others can help you decide where the best money is spent. The lessons you learn with this car will stay with you on future projects/cars.

+1

Welcome ZoomMe!

If you REALLY want to spend money, spend it on tires. I can suggest a few if you like. Biggest bang for your performance buck, and improves your DD experience as well- or buy a dedicated set of wheels and R-compound tires (and racing jack, and air tank, and cordless impact, and tire pressure gauge, and, and, and...) for an amazing improvement.
Otherwise, seat time (attend a bunch of autocrosses and autocross schools) is king

Seriously, bring it out stock, you'll have a blast.

G-Man

Postby G-Man » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

You've got a car that is extremely capable stock. Do as many autocrosses as you can and get all the driver training you can. The best way to go faster is learn to drive.
JamieL and Bellalyssa (and others I don't know) are active autocrossers and willl be a huge help.

Autocrossing is like skiing - easy and fun at any level, but very, very had to do at a highly competitive level. It's a precision sport as much about concentration and focus as about driving and the car. Many people go the easy route and buy "go faster" parts without learning to drive. Meh - Fun, but not gratifying.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy extra wheels and race tires, and maybe some driving classes from Go4It or Faasst.

Good luck, and have tons of fun!

ZoomMe

Postby ZoomMe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

ecam8000 wrote:MS3? I'm guessing it's the MX3. That is a great car for the autocross! Check into the rules before modifying your rig. "Stock" classes can be alot of fun, and easy(er) on the budget. If a modified car is in your plans, check the rules and build toward a "goal/class" so that you can enjoy and be competitve. We've got a RMSolo race coming up on Feb 20th. Weekend memberships are available for ten bucks at the event (but remember to preregister).

No I have the Mazdaspeed3.

Thank You I am going to follow your advice. I am going to try to get to the Feb run!!
WooHoo!

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:14

G-Man wrote:You've got a car that is extremely capable stock. Do as many autocrosses as you can and get all the driver training you can. The best way to go faster is learn to drive.
JamieL and Bellalyssa (and others I don't know) are active autocrossers and willl be a huge help.

Autocrossing is like skiing - easy and fun at any level, but very, very had to do at a highly competitive level. It's a precision sport as much about concentration and focus as about driving and the car. Many people go the easy route and buy "go faster" parts without learning to drive. Meh - Fun, but not gratifying.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy extra wheels and race tires, and maybe some driving classes from Go4It or Faasst.

Good luck, and have tons of fun!

Hey is that a poke at me? :LOL: Keeping control of those go fast parts is hard. Especially without proper tires.

But I agree with everyone, if your gonna do this for a while take is slow with the modding and do things that will help you make those corners smoother and faster. If I had the stock-ish 8 ready I would have taken that to my first AutoX.

ImageImage

ZoomMe

Postby ZoomMe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14

Thanks G-Man and all.
I can't wait to get started.

ZoomMe

Postby ZoomMe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14

reconbygod12 wrote:sway bars
lowering kit
full twm short throw kit
i run bridgestone potenza tires but tread got ripped off pretty good

i havent done it though since i went to wisconsin after i got home from iraq but i was having fun with that set up granite i still have shit ton of other mods

Do the sway bars affect the drivability on the street in a negitive way?

reconbygod12

Postby reconbygod12 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14

ZoomMe wrote:Do the sway bars affect the drivability on the street in a negative way?

i noticed a difference but its not a negative difference. the car does feel stiffer and sometimes you do notice every little thing on the road, but to me its nothing that bothers me and its a mod that I've enjoyed on my vehicle
2008 wrx sedan-new love

09 cwp mazdaspeed 3 GT-gone

04 mazda 6s-gone

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14

For the most part, the sway bars (anti roll bar) fight the car's attempt to lean in a turn. Hitting a speed bump or dip square, they would have no effect on ride. A pot hole or bump with one wheel, the bar send that motion to the other wheel (on that axle). Your car, I would guess, has a pretty good bar to begin with, at least better than a non "Speed" car. I still think you should drive it as is, and check the rules to make sure you don't bump yourself out of a class you would want to be in.

Racers use sway bars and weight and tire pressures to taylor the car to the track or driving style. In general, stiffer bars or tuning the bar stiff (in the case of adjustable bars) will cause the other axle to grip better. That is a GENERAL statement, but in tuning a car to how it "feels" sway bars, spring rates, tire pressures, weight jacking, tire type/size, shock valving........

A day at the autocross and talking with others, is really the way to go before you spend cash.

Back in my day, "3/4 race cams" and tunnel rams were the rage. Saw them often on otherwise stock engines (with cast exhaust manifolds and a single tail pipe). Driver's would complain that they didn't run right, BUT THEY LOOKED COOL (at least to the owners). Just saying......

I AM an advocate of modifying our cars! I did the suspension upgrade to my Miata to use in the STR class of SCCA. I did a lot of reading and talking and watching, before I ever ordered the parts. And we are here to help.
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

ZoomMe

Postby ZoomMe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14

Thank You, Guys
Very good advice...as always!

Return to “Autocross”