Mazdaspeed 3 13.872@101.33

HPR, PPIR, Bandimere, and other track events
dsm_luck

Mazdaspeed 3 13.872@101.33

Postby dsm_luck » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14

Decided to go up to Bandimere today on a whim. Last year my best time was 14.1@102mph. That was with MBC/RMM/Intake/RP/Meth. Tires were Ventus V12's.

Today my setup is AP/Catless downpipe/Intake/FMIC/RMM/no meth. Tires are Eagle GT's. I am running the Stage 2+ 93 map that I have modified (running 3 gallons E-85 to rest 91 octane).

Im pretty sure there was an issue with the MPH on my fastest run as it was much lower than the rest. Trapped 102 last time so I don't think its impossible to pick up 4mph from the mods I have now. What do you guys think is it bogus for me to be trapping that much higher than last time? Traps were 106, 105, 105, 105, 102(bogged), and the 101mph which was my fastest 1/4 mile time. Funny thing is the car next to me trapped 105 but yet I was pulling on him at the end.

Anyways here is the slip from the fastest trap and 1/4 mile time. Still on stock K04. I am car #361. The car that ran 14.7 was a Porsche Carrera S. Not sure how it happened but he got the jump and then I slowly reeled him in. Maybe he was a new driver?

EDIT: Ran the average of the mph gain between 1/8th and 1/4 and it seems I am was picking up 23mph between the runs minus the low one. This sounds a bit high. The traps may in fact be higher and possibly the 101 and 102 ones were the only correct ones?

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14

Traction on or off? What was the best 60'?

dsm_luck

dommo_g wrote:Traction on or off? What was the best 60'?

Traction off. If you leave traction control on the car will shit all over itself when you take off.

Best 60' was 2.232. Had another 2.2x, and a couple 2.3x's. Not terribly good but also not bad for all season Eagle GT's. I have a few more ideas up my sleeve to get me into the mid 13's on street tires. My end goal is to hit 12's on slicks on the stock K04 at this altitude. Might be impossible without spray but i think there are a few more hp I can squeeze out of a stock turbo setup.

Video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVABkwWKYr8"]YouTube - MS3 vs Porsche @ Bandimere[/ame]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14

Damn man your car is a good bit faster than mine was with similar mods. I'm guessing the FMIC is helping you a lot as my TMIC was plenty heatsoaked before I even got to run from idling in line. I ran a best of 14.4 @ 101 at Bandi with about the same 60' as your 14.1 @ 106 run. My BATs were into the 180s on that run. Did you happen to see where your BATs were on your runs tonight? Those traps do seem a little high, but Bandi is a high quality track and I wouldn't think their equipment would be off.

That's great that you got 6 runs in. I went to the last Wed night event last year and only got 3 runs in before the rain came. I know I could have run faster than 14.4 as I never did get a good launch on the first 3 runs. I was planning on taking the Mustang next Wednesday night but now they are calling for scattered thunderstorms and I don't know if I want to risk only getting 3 runs in again or maybe even none if it rains early.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14

That video was a rush. Good times!
"Littering, and?..."

dsm_luck

erod550 wrote:Damn man your car is a good bit faster than mine was with similar mods. I'm guessing the FMIC is helping you a lot as my TMIC was plenty heatsoaked before I even got to run from idling in line. I ran a best of 14.4 @ 101 at Bandi with about the same 60' as your 14.1 @ 106 run. My BATs were into the 180s on that run. Did you happen to see where your BATs were on your runs tonight? Those traps do seem a little high, but Bandi is a high quality track and I wouldn't think their equipment would be off.

That's great that you got 6 runs in. I went to the last Wed night event last year and only got 3 runs in before the rain came. I know I could have run faster than 14.4 as I never did get a good launch on the first 3 runs. I was planning on taking the Mustang next Wednesday night but now they are calling for scattered thunderstorms and I don't know if I want to risk only getting 3 runs in again or maybe even none if it rains early.

Yea my bats at idle would hit 120-130 and as soon as I would get on boost they would drop to mid 90's. Honestly the E-85 makes a big difference. Mixed it allows me to run a modified Stage 2+ FMIC 93 map.

As for the trap times I am still pretty confused. The 13.8 run felt like the best and when I crossed the line I was doing 105+mph (on speedometer) just like the other runs. I was winding out 4th gear because I have the rev limit bumped to 7100 rpms. Car feels much quicker than when I ran a 14.1@102 last time so I really don't know. If those traps speed are correct this car is hauling and I need to get some slicks and see what it can really do. Could be running on the all season Eagle GT's is causing the traction problems.

Do you have a time slip from your old car? maybe we could compare it and shed some light on what the deal is.

dsm_luck

Number2 wrote:That video was a rush. Good times!

Haha yea I had some adrenaline pumping when I saw the Porsche pull up next to me. You can hear him rev before we launch. He only trapped like 97mph. I blew by him after he jumped a length and a half on me while I spun. I think he was still getting used to the car.

*MS3~SNAIL*

Postby *MS3~SNAIL* » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14

Nice run.

I saw the AP on the dash and was wondering if you've tried the 1/4 mile feature of the AP and is it remotely close to what you know the car pulls at the track?
2010 MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica | Cobb AP | CS SRI/TIP [color=black]| CS Racepipe [/color]| CP-E 75 Duro RMM | 30% Tint all around [color=#000000]| Blacked out fog light trim and emblems [/color]| Radar detector tapped into HomeLink/Compass RVM | WeatherTech Floor Mats Front and Back | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

[color=blue]:D The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude. :D[/color]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

dsm_luck wrote:Haha yea I had some adrenaline pumping when I saw the Porsche pull up next to me. You can hear him rev before we launch. He only trapped like 97mph. I blew by him after he jumped a length and a half on me while I spun. I think he was still getting used to the car.

He actually launched slower than you, despite any wheelspin. You can tell by the numbers. Only reason he pulled ahead of you at first is he had a faster reaction time at the tree, so he left the line a half a second earlier than you did. If you had both left at the same time you would have pulled away from the very beginning.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

Hehe yeah, those tires definitely aren't helping.

roninsoldier83

Postby roninsoldier83 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

dsm_luck wrote:Yea my bats at idle would hit 120-130 and as soon as I would get on boost they would drop to mid 90's. Honestly the E-85 makes a big difference. Mixed it allows me to run a modified Stage 2+ FMIC 93 map.

As for the trap times I am still pretty confused. The 13.8 run felt like the best and when I crossed the line I was doing 105+mph (on speedometer) just like the other runs. I was winding out 4th gear because I have the rev limit bumped to 7100 rpms. Car feels much quicker than when I ran a 14.1@102 last time so I really don't know. If those traps speed are correct this car is hauling and I need to get some slicks and see what it can really do. Could be running on the all season Eagle GT's is causing the traction problems.

Do you have a time slip from your old car? maybe we could compare it and shed some light on what the deal is.

Just an FYI, last I checked, your trap speed in the 1/4 mile isn't actually the speed you're going when you hit the 1320 ft mark, but is actually supposed to be the average speed of the last 60 feet of the 1/4 mile (1260-1320 ft average). In other words, there is a sensor at the 1260 mark & another at the 1320 mark, both take your speed and the trap that appears on your slip is the average between the two.

Also, most speedo's are off anywhere from 1%-5% from the factory (pretty easy to verify with either speed gun/sign, or GPS).

Just felt like sharing. :)

Either way, damn good times for a bolt-on MS3 at Bandimere!
AKA- [color="Blue"]arctic_blue83[/color]
Mine: 2015 Subaru WRX
Hers: 2013 Subaru WRX

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

I do have a timeslip somewhere. Just need to find it.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Dange

Postby Dange » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

just a thought, chris my buddy with I/dp/noexhaust 91 pump gas and AP picked up over 70ftlbs of torque at revos dyno thanks to a protune at 17psi, over the stage2 93map. and if they take a bit more time, they can tune the k04 for 23psi at this altitude. thats what hes running now with partial e-85. should be good for mid-high 12's at bandi.
04MSMGT

edgeautosport

Postby edgeautosport » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

If you can figure out the throttle and clutch transition into 2nd gear just a little better, that will net you the most improvement. That wheel spin in 2nd is killing you more than you think. Anytime you feel like the car is going really fast, that's TYPICALLY (not always) when you you're going the slowest. Being super smooth is the fastest. On your fastest run you'll look at the time and say "really?" Especially at the quarter mile, it's ALL about forward bite. If the car isn't moving forward the fastest it can, it's showing on the time slip.

If I were to guess, that was .2-.3 worth of wheel spin off your time.
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.
EdgeAutosport.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edgeautosport

Postby edgeautosport » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14

i guess tires is the issue though lol

I hate how our cars will run that at sea level in stock trim. Stupid altitude.
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

EdgeAutosport.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Track Days and Events”