Yeap this is as bad as it looks...

HPR, PPIR, Bandimere, and other track events
D Walker

Yeap this is as bad as it looks...

Postby D Walker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14

in case you guys have missed it-

Copied from my website blog-

This past weekend we lost one of our RX-8 racecars. The yellow/blue/silver #98 car was entered in NASA's PTD class and running with the Blitz group at Pueblo Motorsports Park.

For those that not familiar, this is a pretty decent club track in Pueblo Colorado and was recently repaved. Track layout and other info can be found here- Pueblo Motorsports, CO - Official Website , While its has always been a fun track, turn 10, which leads onto the drag strip has always been an issue. In the past cars would spin to the inside and tap the wall. The track was repaved earlier this year, and the surface is still somewhat green and slick. Turn 10 was widened and this should have helped with the past issues in that corener, but the bleach box, or "burnout box", is right where the cars tend to be mid-corner, and is very very slick and treacherous. In three consecutive club races with three different organizations- SCCA, NASA, and RMVR, there have been cars into the wall at turn 10, one of which was the GRID-1 RX-8.

Our weekend started with us arriving at the track at 6:30 AM. While we were unloading the rain came pouring down. Fortunately it only lasted about 45 minutes. The sun broke and the track surface dried out, but it was still a bit slippery and of course off-track the surface was nice slick mud. This was what would prove to be our demise...

The driver elected to go ahead and run qualifying even though the track was still slick and cars going off in the previous sessions had brought mud onto the track. Our session was no better, with several cars off in the first couple of laps. Our friend Bruce went off in Turn 9 in his C5 Corvette, gathered up the car and continued. The next lap the driver of our RX8 also went off in turn 9, and this is where the errors started. One of the first tenets a driver is taught is that when you go off track, you get control of the car, evaluate what went wrong- overheated tires, oil on track, broken car, etc.- then get back under way. Unfortunately, this is not what happened. The driver stayed in the throttle while he was off course and came back on track with muddy, cold tires. In the short straight between 9 and 10 he did not lower his speed or change his normal line to account for the muddy, wet, and cold tires.On corner exit the car was slipping to the outside, the driver corrected and the car snapped into the wall, taking the front end of the car off. The driver is ok except for bruises to himself and his pride, but the car is a write-off.

We loaded the car into the trailer and headed home.

There are lots of lessons to be learned from this weekend, but cheif among them is that no matter how good you are or experienced you think you are, the basics cannot be forgotten. They exist and are the basics for a reason. When you ignore them or forget them or otherwise pretend they dont exist things will happen- thats why they are the basics! Cars can be rebuilt or scrapped and new ones built, but it sucks when the whole thing could have been avoided, and should have been. This is an incident which should not have happened. The driver told me later that he was not settled in the car and was wound up and felt rushed. He admitted he had been off track several times in the session prior to the accident. These things to me mean the driver should have come in sooner. It also means the corner workers and race control was sorely lacking. When a car goes 4 off in practice of qualifying in a club race weekend it should be black flagged and brought in, especially in poor track conditions. If it goes off several times in just a few laps, the driver should be brought in and lectured by the stewards.

At any rate, a fresh RX-8 has been acquired-

and will be delivered in a few days to be transformed into the "new" RX-8. Fortunately, many of the parts we need survived, and the rest can be had fairly quickly. We hope to have the car ready in time for Mid-Ohio, which is just a few weeks away.

Cheers!

Don Walker

original link- Yeah, this is as bad as it looks… « Grid-1 Motorsports
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

pyrrhus17

Postby pyrrhus17 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14

Wow sorry to here about that ,Glad everyone is ok . That does suck though
perhaps you guys can get them to change that corner

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14

That sucks. Glad everyone is OK.
Yea that last turn to the front drag straight was pretty bumpy on my bike. I was always too afraid to go all out in that turn on the bike because it was so bumpy.
Image Image

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:14

Damn that sucks! Sorry to see that.

Maybe they need to just make that a dedicated road course and stop dragging there since the burnout box messes up everyone. LOL

eliminster

Postby eliminster » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14

or they could just put a bump out section along that track that is for the burnout box instead of using the course for it not real smart thinking on their part.
87 red rx7
running 13b re cosmo motor
03 yellow wrx
yes it is a stock color
00 black s10 zr2
yes i have it to tow cars when they break.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14

Sucks that this happened. A friend who races Porsche 944 Spec said a lot of people are trying to take new turn 10 like old turn 10 and that's contributing to the wrecks. I haven't run on Pueblo myself before or after the repaving (at least not the road course), but from watching videos it does look like it's quite a bit different (sharper and slower) than it used to be, so I can see someone crashing if they tried to hit it at the same speed as they are used to hitting it, as well as the other factors like mud on the track and on the car's tires.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14

Really sorry to hear about the accident. Heres hoping that the new rx8 will demolish all!
"Littering, and?..."

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:14

Ouch. Best of luck with the build on the new "8".
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:14

that sucks!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

chromal

Postby chromal » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:14

That's truly unfortunate, sounds like they could stand to reconsider their track layout some more around corner #10 down there. I'm glad the RX-8 did what it was supposed to and kept its driver safe, but sorry to see its a write off. It's cool you're going to go ahead and build a new RX-8 racecar, I hope you can reuse most of the old one's parts.

Return to “Track Days and Events”