performance driving help: consistency in heel-toe downshifts

HPR, PPIR, Bandimere, and other track events
Shadowden

performance driving help: consistency in heel-toe downshifts

Postby Shadowden » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

I am looking for help in being able to heel toe downshift with more consistency. Certain days, it feels good, but others I can't find the accelerator,miss the shift lever, mis-time clutch engagement, and all the combinations there of. I have read lots of tutorials, "practice" daily, and watch video that shows the footwork involved. I'd put my athletic ability above normal and played college soccer, so am generally proficient with my feet. Watching video, I feel like the drivers are rotating their heel much further than I can. Therefore, I'm curious as to whether my seat position, general body position, and knee angle are incorrect.

Anyone in here highly proficient? After that, I would really like to learn to use the pedals more actively to invoke oversteer in various ways, as well as anything else.

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

Generally I face the same issues, I can't quite get my heel over unless I'm in a formula style car. Usually I cover both the brake and gas pedals with the right foot, left over the brake, and right over the gas. When I want to give a bit of gas, I roll my foot to the right so that the right side presses down on the gas pedal. It kinda of requires wide feet and a slightly recessed gas pedal though....

Shadowden

Brigdh wrote:Generally I face the same issues, I can't quite get my heel over unless I'm in a formula style car. Usually I cover both the brake and gas pedals with the right foot, left over the brake, and right over the gas. When I want to give a bit of gas, I roll my foot to the right so that the right side presses down on the gas pedal. It kinda of requires wide feet and a slightly recessed gas pedal though....

That sounds like how it works for me on occassion, but I have small feet. So some shoes it works and others don't. Watching the video, the japanese drivers I have seen really rotate the heel like they are smearing something with the ball of their right foot. Thanks for the response. I'll try moving my foot further right on the brake pedal.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

You could try aiming towards the upper right corner of the brake pedal with your toe. This would allow your heal to extend closer to the gas pedal with out as much rotation.... or maybe do some yoga to get a little more flexible lol.

Shadowden

vierte wrote:You could try aiming towards the upper right corner of the brake pedal with your toe. This would allow your heal to extend closer to the gas pedal with out as much rotation.... or maybe do some yoga to get a little more flexible lol.

One thing I read and agree with is to not compromise engagement with the brake pedal for the sake of heel toe shifting. But, I think what you say may be a good idea...if I put the ball of my foot higher on the brake and possibly more to the right, my heel would be closer to a higher part of the accelerator...definately worth trying.

Yoga would be good for my hips since they are overly tight from weightlifting (one word=olympic lifts) and a to a heavy front squats and back squats.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

Get a gas pedal that is extended closer to the brake pedal. That will help a lot. And like anything practice makes perfect.

SecondGenPAt

Postby SecondGenPAt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

Along with what Saul said about the pedal extension.

Also, I don't really use the heel of my foot to blip the accelerator. I kind of "nick it" with the right side of the ball of my foot. I find that it's easier than the true heel and toe method.
Hakuna Matata

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

+1 for the side of foot. I've never been able to do proper heal toe, and actually started using the side of my foot or the right half to do it. I started before I knew what heal toe even was, as I rode manual sport atv's before driving and always rev-matched to keep from flying over bars on fast trails. Just did the same for cars. Footware is probably the biggest importance, but the proper technique is probably best to learn over the half-foot :)

Shadowden

thanks for the feedback guys. My attempts at mastering this technique were horrid tonight.

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:14

Keep trying. I'm with Moose, I don't really heel-toe, but using the right side of my foot to hit the accelerator works really well for me. Then again, I've got really big feet.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14

Is this technique second nature for you guys to such an extent that you do it as normal driving when you need to downshift in a corner, or is it more of a track thing?

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14

You need to get "driving shoes". I have a few pairs. Used it a few times. Not practical to walk around in your daily use. But it feels good while driving.

http://www.shop.puma.com/men/shoes/motorsport/ferrari/23233,en_US,sc.html
Image Image

SecondGenPAt

Postby SecondGenPAt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Is this technique second nature for you guys to such an extent that you do it as normal driving when you need to downshift in a corner, or is it more of a track thing?

I've practiced it enough that it has become second nature. Almost every time I slow down I find myself rev-matching the right gear. (not running down the gears, mind you, but taking it from my current gear to the gear I need directly)

as you continue to become familiar with the S2000, heel and toe will only become easier.
Hakuna Matata

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14

Shadowden wrote:Is this technique second nature for you guys to such an extent that you do it as normal driving when you need to downshift in a corner, or is it more of a track thing?

2nd nature from repetition and practice. Don't drive a manual anymore, but when I did, I would nearly always rev-match. Whether it was aggressive or not depended on the type of driving I was doing. Wish I would have done true heal-toe though as it would have been better to start out. I think footwear is a big part of that technique though, as mentioned above. My feet would otherwise be a bit too large in most shoes for it.

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14

Ive been doing it since 2002. Its apart of my everyday driving. When i drive autos i feel kindve off.

Return to “Track Days and Events”