Time Attack in Pueblo Motorsports Park May 23 & 24th!

HPR, PPIR, Bandimere, and other track events
Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Time Attack in Pueblo Motorsports Park May 23 & 24th!

Postby Saul_Good » Tue May 12, 2015 9:14

SCCA sponsored trackday at Pueblo Motorsports Park on May 23 & 24.

Ranger

Re: Time Attack in Pueblo Motorsports Park May 23 & 24th!

Postby Ranger » Tue May 12, 2015 9:14

Hey, good chatting with you about this. I'm looking into it more, since I've never driven with SCCA. Just trying to get an idea of how it works...where I'd fit, what I need to do, etc. I find their website incredibly difficult to navigate :mellow:

From this page,sounds like I'd be in Club Trials (CTT)---I have enough track experience that I don't need an instructor, but I'd be in a relatively stock street car. Is it required to run a transponder? At this point, I don't care too much about lap times or being competitive, just wanting to get on track again, and $150 for two days can't be beat.

What about licensing? I assume I'd have to become an SCCA member? Guessing I would also need a Time Trials license of some kind? What all does that involve?

P.S. - Forgot I had one more question, do they allow ride-alongs in TT? Have a couple people that might come with me just to hang out, and I'm sure they'd love to see what it's like being on track.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Tue May 12, 2015 9:14

Ranger - contact the person in the flyer mrrmrenfield@gmail.com (Jason Brandt) he can give you the exact answers you're looking for.

With that, i'll take a stab at some of your questions:
Membership - You can buy a weekend membership (don't know price) or just get an SCCA membership and be done with it.
TT license - None needed
TT vs PDX participation due to experience -- You might want to ask the contact, but I think you'll be in PDX. The idea is to keep TT clear so we can have room to go lay down laptimes, but if you're fast enough to play in TT, I have no qualms about you being in my group -- at least until we start getting more competitors.
Passengers - Ask the contact

Type of car you drive: Modded, stock it doesn't matter. That will not determine if you're TT or PDX. Jason has a multipler that he uses to adjust scores/times since we all will not be driving similar class cars. Again, I'd expect that to change when we get more competitors, so tell everyone you know to come out and participate not watch.

Also, don't think because your car is nearly stock makes you slow. I have been held up by cars that were 'faster' on paper. Aside from Jason Brandt, the next fastest guy is in a EF civic hatch with a D16Z (NA).

Hope that somewhat helps.

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14

Saul_Good wrote:the next fastest guy is in a EF civic hatch with a D16Z (NA)..

Yeah, but he has a deadblow hammer in his toolbox to fix mistakes. That dude is fast.

I would like to know why they schedule on such horrible weekends (my opinion). Not many families want to spend Memorial Day weekend at the track and Dad/Husbands weighted vote is worth about 0.00001.

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14

Shadowden wrote:
Saul_Good wrote:the next fastest guy is in a EF civic hatch with a D16Z (NA)..

Yeah, but he has a deadblow hammer in his toolbox to fix mistakes. That dude is fast.

I would like to know why they schedule on such horrible weekends (my opinion). Not many families want to spend Memorial Day weekend at the track and Dad/Husbands weighted vote is worth about 0.00001.

Sorry. I think the train of thought is big weekend so why not race. Honestly, you either have to have a very understanding spouse, or the whole family has to be into racing. There are actually quite a bit of families that show up to these race days and have the RVs to back it up. Then you have guys like me that are there for a day.

My secret is I pre-coordinate with the wife weeks out. When I get rich, i'd like to get an RV or something close to it so they can come too.

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 13, 2015 9:14

Cool, I'll email Jason. Oh, I guess by stock, I brought it up because I'll be on 280 treadwear tires, street pads, and worn-out shocks. The Si actually handles incredibly, no worries there. Decent power, too. I'm fast enough to be in TT, but, I wouldn't compete with a similar car that has race pads and R comps. That's all I meant. At HPR last month, first weekend tracking this car I ran a 2:23ish if that helps put things into perspective. Could've been under 2:20 for sure with race pads + tires.

If that Civic is stripped that's around 2000 lbs I think...D16Z, that's what, 130-ish HP if I remember right? Assuming it's not built. Not an amazing power to weight ratio but I wouldn't doubt for a second that it's a fast car. What do you two drive?

Saul_Good

Postby Saul_Good » Thu May 14, 2015 9:14

Ranger wrote:Cool, I'll email Jason. Oh, I guess by stock, I brought it up because I'll be on 280 treadwear tires, street pads, and worn-out shocks. The Si actually handles incredibly, no worries there. Decent power, too. I'm fast enough to be in TT, but, I wouldn't compete with a similar car that has race pads and R comps. That's all I meant. At HPR last month, first weekend tracking this car I ran a 2:23ish if that helps put things into perspective. Could've been under 2:20 for sure with race pads + tires.

If that Civic is stripped that's around 2000 lbs I think...D16Z, that's what, 130-ish HP if I remember right? Assuming it's not built. Not an amazing power to weight ratio but I wouldn't doubt for a second that it's a fast car. What do you two drive?

I drive a 99 Miata which dynoed at 116whp, with 200tw tires I ran 2:14 at HPR. That buddy of mine with the EF Civic just dynoed at 120whp (corrected), still has rear drums, and 205/15/50 Star Specs (also 200tw) ran a 2:13 last event. I am confident with a Civic SI you could get down to 2:17-2:18 with your current setup.

Return to “Track Days and Events”