HyPR 2016

HPR, PPIR, Bandimere, and other track events
Dwduc

HyPR 2016

Postby Dwduc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14

This years HyPR event went pretty well, we actually got enough workers to be able to run full course! There was only a little drama the second day when one of the PDX'rs parked his MR2 on its roof between T10 and T11. I was able to improve on my personal best time but only slightly. I think the RS-3 I am running have become somewhat unpredictable due to all the weather and cycles they have been exposed to.
My goal was to break into the 2:10.xx lap times but the best I managed was a 2:11.74.
On the bright side the WMI helped greatly for controlling the temperatures. The car performed well until the outside temps got into the high 80's then I was having to do a cool down lap after about 4 flying laps.

In the end I won the SCCA 2016 Club Time Trials, Kind of a hollow victory as most of the competition cancelled and didn't show up. It came to me and a couple BMWs. However it was nice to basically have the entire track to myself!

First day and best lap of my weekend. Kinda mounted the camera poorly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEE_Ay9mI0M

Second day with better camera but only a 2:11.9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04Dd0bxZho

And some in car action, this was actually going to be my best lap, was on pace for a 2:10.x according to my sector times but then I had a spastic attack and totally botched T13 at the top of the corckscrew and ended up with a 2:12. I think I was paying too much attention to the lap timer and lost focus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJD_q-He4A

And the proper way to park a Toyota! I was giving an instructor ride along to a new kid (Zero on the forum here) at T4 when we got the red flag, Siryn was also on track and out of view. I was losing my mind worrying when I heard "car upside down at T10" and couldn't see her anywhere! Just had to sit and watch as the ambulance and flatbed went screaming down there. They finally had us go to the paddock via short course T4s and as we pulled in there she was just sitting by her car!!!! I guess she wasn't far behind him when he flipped it and in the pic you can see her Solstice on the left in the distance.
mr2ded.jpg
mr2ded.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 2697 times

Shadowden

Re: HyPR 2016

Postby Shadowden » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14

I went off in that area a couple Thursdays ago. It is high speed and scary. Glad the car I was driving stayed perfectly level.

How did the Solstice get on the track?

Dwduc

Postby Dwduc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:14

She was pretty timid in that area, was her first time doing full course. It is dumb that SCCA will allow the Sol on track and the open lapping rules don't.

I'm thinking your off track excursion turned out better due to driver competence and proper reactions. I feel that roll could have been avoided had he been more cautious once the car was out of shape. Just remember if you are going off, both feet in!!

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:14

Got to thinking about the solstice on track this morning and wondering if SCCA will have all the same "matching safety equipment" rules that HPR is pushing for 2017. MAy limit the days I can have passengers, but would certainly reduce financial stresses of getting car further along.

Return to “Track Days and Events”