Dining with Tut

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
kingtut

Dining with Tut

Postby kingtut » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14

I know of some pretty good ones and some pretty bad one's. I'm going to periodically add my personal dining experiences - feel free to add your own.

Las Brisas:

For starters, these guys are on crack: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33456-d1539105-Reviews-Las_Brisas_Greenwood_Village-Greenwood_Village_Colorado.html

Went to Las Brisas over the weekend. It was horrible.

The salsa was sub-par. Basically canned tomatoes and a ton of oregeno, with a touch of cilantro. That's about it.

Their Green chile is similar to cream of mushroom soup and had a few potatos in there for good measure (which surprisingly wasn't too bad). The beef burrito was shredded beef, I guess. Honestly, I couldn't quite tell. The moment I tried to cut it, tons of grease started leaking out and pooled into the corner of my plate.
The black beans tasted like they were literally poured right from the can.

The beef fajitas (although much more edible than the burrito) were a sorry excuse for a restaurant. All of the veggies were super oily and soggy. The beef was s-a-l-t-y. No real flavor-- just that of sodium.

Have you ever eaten something that was soooo good, but you knew it was full of fat and terrible for you? For example, an elephant ear/funnel cake. These taste absolutely heavenly, but are just fried carbs. With each bite, you know its going straight to your arteries, or a**- but you don't care. Well, this place was a bit different. Everything tasted completely disgusting and was terrible for me.

I walked out of there thinking to myself, this is a prime candidate for "Kitchen Nightmares"
one and one makes two, together we are free

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14

what made you pic such a shithole tut? you have a coupon?

Your mention of funnel cake reminded me of the "I declair" dessert at Claim Jumper
Desc: Baked fresh daily. Sweet pastry filled with a buttery Bavarian custard atop vanilla bean ice cream with hot fudge & homemade whipped cream

probably about 4k calories per bite, but oh so good.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

kingtut

6i_guy wrote:what made you pic such a shithole tut? you have a coupon?

Your mention of funnel cake reminded me of the "I declair" dessert at Claim Jumper
Desc: Baked fresh daily. Sweet pastry filled with a buttery Bavarian custard atop vanilla bean ice cream with hot fudge & homemade whipped cream

probably about 4k calories per bite, but oh so good.

What... were you my server? Nevermind, he had a mustache. My wife made me go...she's been bugging me forever (because she likes to try new places). I told her it was going to be nasty, but she needed to experience it for herself, I guess:rolleyes:

Wow, I haven't been to Claim Jumper in years...

tsx_guy

ahh your wife likes the shitholes, which explains why she married you.

Alas i don't venture to new eateries much.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14

I don't think I've ever been to a GOOD Mexican restaurant... Just OK or acceptable...

They only have the same 12 (or less) ingredients that they just switch around and call it a different dish. Then you can choose if you want it fried or not or smothered or not... but its all the same thing.
Image Image

kingtut

I`m Batman wrote:I don't think I've ever been to a GOOD Mexican restaurant... Just OK or acceptable...

They only have the same 12 (or less) ingredients that they just switch around and call it a different dish. Then you can choose if you want it fried or not or smothered or not... but its all the same thing.

I love Mexican food. We're always on the search for a new place. We have a handful we frequent, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily authentic-- just mexi-comfort food:D

I do plan on going to Cantina Laredo, and will post my findings:cool:

I`m Batman

You're going to have to tell me which ones are the good ones.

I probably won't be able to go for awhile because I'm on P90X... getting ready for Hawaii. :)
Image Image

kingtut

I`m Batman wrote:You're going to have to tell me which ones are the good ones.

I probably won't be able to go for awhile because I'm on P90X... getting ready for Hawaii. :)

Which one's have you been to?
How long have you been doing the P90? Did you buy the videos? What's the diet like? [typcial tut side tangent, I know]
I'm heading to San Diego in Sept/Oct., its no Hawaii, but I'll still need all the help I can get:lol:

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14

As an actual person of Mexican decent, I'm pretty critical of "restaurant" offerings. Not to say everything, everywhere, is bad, but I have just developed a particular taste for what I like after 30+ years of eating the best of my Mom and Dad's families.

One place though, that is seriously no joke in terms of quality food with authentic flavors, is El Taco de Mexico. It's a true hole-in-the-wall joint with not much for seating or scenery, but the food is legit. This place wins "Best Of Westword" awards, like it's their job. Oh yeah... No cards or checks. It's a cash only operation, and somewhat "no frills" in terms of service. But hey... if the food is on point, it's well worth the inconvenience. Check it out on the Northeast corner of 7th and Sante Fe in Denver.

kingtut

I think I've driven by there...
I'm rarely down that way though, unfortunately... and rarely have cash on me either, haha.

I think we can solve this Mexican mystery, if you wanna just cook us up some Mexican dinner dude:D

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14

~Barn~ wrote:As an actual person of Mexican decent, I'm pretty critical of "restaurant" offerings. Not to say everything, everywhere, is bad, but I have just developed a particular taste for what I like after 30+ years of eating the best of my Mom and Dad's families.

One place though, that is seriously no joke in terms of quality food with authentic flavors, is El Taco de Mexico. It's a true hole-in-the-wall joint with not much for seating or scenery, but the food is legit. This place wins "Best Of Westword" awards, like it's their job. Oh yeah... No cards or checks. It's a cash only operation, and somewhat "no frills" in terms of service. But hey... if the food is on point, it's well worth the inconvenience. Check it out on the Northeast corner of 7th and Sante Fe in Denver.

Never been. But I love Tacos Rapidos and Burrito King. Colorado Burritos FTW. And the Chili Relleno Burrito aswell.

ImageImage

kingtut

Moe's BBQ:

I believe there's (2) locations-- one near 6th and Broadway and another within a few miles of there.

I've only had their pulled pork sandwiches. Both regular and "Famous" style- which has coleslaw, pickles, and something else I believe. (Side note: They labeled my "Famous" style sandwiches with "Bama". Of course, knowing my [political] standing, that kind of irked me- but I digress).

Tut gives this place a thumbs up!

I`m Batman

kingtut wrote:Which one's have you been to?
How long have you been doing the P90? Did you buy the videos? What's the diet like? [typcial tut side tangent, I know]
I'm heading to San Diego in Sept/Oct., its no Hawaii, but I'll still need all the help I can get:lol:

I don't recall the names but just the ones around DTC that my co-workers like to go to and I just go along.

I'm into week 2 and I definitely notice a difference already. Since I'm not fat and I don't have much weight to loose anyway. I'm only looking to tone up and put a little more mass on so I can look like what I used to look like in my early twenties... I don't have much more to go... then I'll start building up.

My wife is doing it with me, she's not big either and she even notice that her clothes fits differently only after one week. You'll need about 1 hr a day for the workout... and its intense.

This is definitely a lifestyle change. I'll never go back to eating what I was eating. Healthy food doesn't have to taste bad. We are now aware of exactly what we are eating.

It's not easy, you'll just have to stick to it. "Do your best and forget the rest." If you're interested I can get you a copy. We can meet during lunch or something.

My trip is in October so I should be into Phase 3 and almost done with the program. That should be plenty of time... I'll bring my resistance bands with me so I can workout there too. Much better than trying to fit the weights in the suitcase.

I plan to keep continuing even after I'm done with the 90 days... Like I said, it's a lifestyle change.
Image Image

tsx_guy

I've heard mexico city is good, it's downtown on Larimer Street, haven't frequented the place tho so I can't comment personally. El Taco de Mexico sound good tho.

Define eating healthy batman.
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

I`m Batman

6i_guy wrote:Define eating healthy batman.

#1 Supersized with a diet Coke. lol

No, basically just eat what your body can burn off. Depending on what activity you're doing, you can adjust your intake based on how much energy you will need and eat accordingly. If you can't burn off all the things that you eat, your body will store it as fat.

I don't want to write out the whole menu. :p
Image Image

Return to “Lounge”