New Cell Phone

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
tbot

New Cell Phone

Postby tbot » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14

so about a month ago i got a new cell phone and didnt want to comment about it until i used it and got comfortable with it. i think that time is now.

i have t-mobile and they use goofy 3G bands compared to everyone else, but this phone was one of the first to support t-mobiles bands, so i even get 3G even tho its not supported in anyway. thats where things first start thats kick ***, im picking up 3.5G, which hasnt been rolled out officially by t-mobile, so wicked fast internet, roughly 2.6-3.8 Mbps download speeds!!!

anyways, i got a Nokia N900. its marketed more as a molbile tablet, which i can no understand why. it runs a version of linux, not like android which a rather large deviation, this is more comparable to ubuntu.

the browser is amazing! i'd say better than the iPhone. i have the same zoom capabilities, its a webkit browser i believe, so extremely fast rendering, and it has full flash support, so all the videos u guys post on here i can watch (plus the look rather good).

eveyrhting else has been so far fantastic. there is a rather large app selection out there, granted nothing compared to android or ios, but its all actually very usefull. point in case, i jsut downloaded Trnsmission, a torrent client. i then downloaded eminem's new album in about 8 minutes...240 MBs lol.

basically the versitillity of this phone is amazing and far superior to everything else out there imho, and remember, i have an iphone, and android phone, and a winmo phone. plus ive used webos thuroughly. so of all the "smart phones" out there, i've used them all and still think this is the best of them all.

anyways, im writing this on the phone and my thumbs are getting tired lol. but post questions, comments, whatever.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14

That sounds cool. I've admittedly never heard of the Nokia N900, so I did a quick Google search and I like what I see. Looks like a pretty badass phone!
:eek:

tbot

it is pretty sweet. i didnt even get into everything, i could write a novel on this thing haha.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14

I've heard good things about the N900. I'm using an HTC Evo 4G at the moment. Too bad there's no 4G service in Colorado yet, but I was told it'd be here by the end of the year, and it's still a badass phone at 3G speeds.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

tbot

for sure! granted once t-rmobile rolls out whats called hspa+ i'll have a 21mbps connection :) vs the 12ish of the initial 4G of sprint.

just for what i use a phone for, basically an MID, this is a way better experience than anything else, even the iphone like i said. plus its got the second highest density screen, only behind the iphone4.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:14

Sweet man. I havn't had a Nokia for like 6yrs. Last one I bought was for my brother and that was an N73. He misses that phone. Even though he hasn't had it for over 4 yrs now. He went to the Samsung/T-Mo Behold and the HD2 when it came out. Still calls it his best phone ever.

More companies need to make phones that include T-Mo US 3G bands. It sucks having all these phones I want but not getting them because they don't support the 3G. I know they can and probably do make chips with Quad/Penta/X Band phones. Don't know why they don't use them and get back to making True "World Phones".

ImageImage

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14

What the heck is 3.5G? Did 3G have a baby? LOL
AIM WO4
[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]
[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14

^^ hehe it did!!!

And its better and faster! But not yet fully developed ;) lolz

its basically a step between TRUE 4g and 3g.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AIM WO4

Postby AIM WO4 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14

Yeah... I just bust up with all the versions that come out. I work in an industry with so many version drops (ie, 20.21.08.02b+) with fixes, that it's sickening.
AIM WO4

[color=#339966][font=Microsoft Sans Serif][color=gray]CMZƆ[/color][/color][/font]

[size=75]2012 Sinful Sallow, Evo X GSR[/SIZE]

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14

Why is my "3G" so slow:confused: Or should I say, not as fast as I thought it would be? My dad has 3G on Sprint, and his phone seems much faster. (vs. our T-Mobile)

Is it the phone? The reception?
one and one makes two, together we are free

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:14

there's a difference between 3g on gsm vs cdma (read t-mobile vs sprint). Could be a number of things, phone, reception, network load...

Just wait tut, by the middle to end of next year, with a supporting device, us t-mobile pps will be around a 42Mb connection ;) which will be about 4 times faster than anything else available.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tbot

Postby tbot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14

So I find myself using my phone now more than my computer. Whether it be just shear laziness in that I don't want to roll over to use the computer (yes I did say roll over), or the fact that I'm more comfortable with it now, and regardless of being on 3.5G or wifi its just about as fast as the laptop for surfing the web. Yes the screen is smaller, but some of the just weird things they've done, like use the volume keys to zoom in and out when you're in the browser, make things so easy to get anything done! Copy and paste is just like on your computer, so pasting addresses, numbers, snippets, into anything on the phone has become so natural, that I probably can get things done just as fast vs the computer.

I dunno, just have never been this comfortable, or fluid, with any mobile out there equally or more so than a computer up until this n900. I just wish there were more people out there using them to market a larger app community, but at the same time, its really just a matter of learning linux and QT to make whatever your heart desires.

Just thought I'd share another minor update.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14

tbot wrote: I just wish there were more people out there using them to market a larger app community

That's how I felt about my Pre. WebOS has so much potential and I love it as an OS but the Pre just didn't take off like Sprint hoped it would. At least there's a pretty big market for Android apps for my HTC Evo.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14

One more reason I love this phone...I just installed android on it and it runs GREAT! There's still a couple of kinks (cellular connectivity doesn't work, but they're working on it and it should be out soon) and some other minor things, but with wifi, I'll still be able to use it.

Each week I find something new about this that just puts it over the top...

As far as webos...hopefully now that HP owns Palm, we'll see more webos devices out, which means the market will grow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14

"cellular connectivity doesn't work"

Wait, so you can't use your phone as a phone? If not, you just turned your phone into an iPod Touch running Android lol.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Lounge”