TOPGEAR USA version premiered last night

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
mOOsE

TOPGEAR USA version premiered last night

Postby mOOsE » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

Anybody else watch?
It was ok. The hosts are kinda meh at this point, certainly not as funny so far... although it's tough to beat the originals. It did like the feature abotu the Viper though. I am not a big American Car fan but the Viper has always had this spot in my heart... it's stupid, ridiculous and doesn't handle... but it's still crazy powerful. The show seems a bit tame too for the moment. I wonder if it's because of the ol US of A and it's laws or just simply that particular show. I'd love to see it make a non-cable channel too, but only time will tell I suppose, for now though, it's on the History channel.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

I watched it last night. I've never watched a single episode of TGUK. (I've avoided watching it simply because of how "awesome" everyone says it is. Much like the pointless Gymkhana videos. Boooooooring.)

This one was ok. I'm not a fan of the audience just standing around all over the place, and the dialogue seems forced. Considering the car show options are "Powerblock", which are basically 30 minute running advertisements, or Motorweek, which lulls me to sleep, I'll take TG over either. I'd love to see it make its way onto another low profile channel: HDT. Toss it on the car night (Tuesday) for that channel and it'd be great.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

Has this been posted online yet?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

I watched it last night too. It was GHAY... They were pretty stiff. They need to loosen up. The filming style was similar to UK version but the hosts and the dialog are way too scripted. Pretty boring when compared to the original.
Image Image

Operator

Postby Operator » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

I didn't watch it, but give them some time to build confidence, and I figure the banter will pick up. I'd venture the 1st few episodes of TGUK weren't as good as they are now.....
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

Huzer wrote:I watched it last night. I've never watched a single episode of TGUK. (I've avoided watching it simply because of how "awesome" everyone says it is. Much like the pointless Gymkhana videos. Boooooooring.)

your kidding? You must watch the original Top Gear. That is a silly reason to avoid something, especially something that has won awards world-wide and is a truly great show for car nuts.

~Barn~

Postby ~Barn~ » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

This show is going to be DOA I'm afraid.

If you've ever seen, or become a fan of the "real" BBC version, it's going to be next to impossible to match.
~Brandon~
Image 720.935.6438

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

This is Bunny. Bunny has the following mods: BNR Supercars GT28RS TC - Mazdaspeed CAI - ACT Streetlite CK - Vibrant TIP - Extreme Turbo Systems TMIC - SLS Performance TP - Magnaflow CBE - James Barone Racing SSP & HSK - Cobb AP - Xcarlink iPod integrator - VG Sharkfin - RX-8 Wheels - Fiber Images CF Hood w/BCM accents

LaginWagon

Postby LaginWagon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

It sucked big time. I'll be very surprised if all 10 episodes get aired. Tanner is a serious Tool, I always thought so, but the show last night confirmed it big time.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

the american version is always gonna be cheesy. i have it on dvr, i have yet to watch it

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

I was actually pleasantly surprised, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. They did have some banter, but I agree they need to loosen up and ad-lib a bit.

I never thought Adam Ferrara was funny as a comedian but I didn't think he was too bad on the show. I don't even know who the other dude is.

It was almost like they want this to be EXACTLY the same as the UK version but with different people, which makes no sense to me, it's just not possible. And Tim, the crowd standing around is straight from the UK version. And I have to agree with mOOsE, if I heard people saying something was great I'd want to watch it at least once I believe haha.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

speedjunkie wrote: And Tim, the crowd standing around is straight from the UK version. And I have to agree with mOOsE, if I heard people saying something was great I'd want to watch it at least once I believe haha.

I'm just not good at watching something on my laptop. I get enough eye strain during the day. I know we get BBC America at home, so maybe I'll check it out if I get a chance.

I guess at least since I haven't seen the "original" version, it was good I didn't have anything to compare it to. I'm not some homer that lumps it in the automatic suckpile because it isn't TGUK. I will say, however, Sunday nights? Opposite Sunday Night Football? I guess they figure car guys don't watch football.

Operator

Postby Operator » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

Huzer wrote:I will say, however, Sunday nights? Opposite Sunday Night Football? I guess they figure car guys don't watch football.

Bad idea there, no doubt!!!!!
[font="Century Gothic"]APR 4 Program Tune - AEM CAI - Vogtland Suspension
JVC KW-NX7000bt HU - eD 6500 Front Comps - cDT EF-61's Rear fill -IDMAX 10" sub-
JL 1000/1 - JL 450/4
[/font]

Past:

Current:

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

LaginWagon wrote:It sucked big time. I'll be very surprised if all 10 episodes get aired. Tanner is a serious Tool, I always thought so, but the show last night confirmed it big time.

I agree about Tanner...no doubt he's an above average driver (just the fact he gets paid to race proves that), but he's a douche waffle and I hate hearing whatever retarded abomination will roll out of his dilapidated pie hole next.

I have no clue who the other guys are (Adam "Ferara" or whatever rang a faint bell) but they were just as stoic and script-bound as Tanner.

I always feel there is this fine line when attempting to duplicate a TV show, weather it's a reincarnation of a old show or like the USA TopGear, it just felt like they were trying to emulate the original hosts of the UK TG too much.
:eek:

Eclipse

Postby Eclipse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14

Ive hated that jackoff Tanner since I first saw him... he makes the show BAAAD, the show was a youtube attempt of the original.. thumbs down

Return to “Lounge”