CMZC Firearms Center

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:14

Here's a new 3 shot group (can be completely covered by a penny) with a cheap "match" 75gr ammo at 100 yards. (PRVI Partizan .223 Match HP BT 75gr). Once in a while I still get a little flyer about 1 inch off the group. I guess I'll have to start reloading myself to get consistent shots every time.

Image Image

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14

Excellent groupings! I love that MOE hand guard.
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14

Colombia28 wrote:Excellent groupings! I love that MOE hand guard.

Me too, but I wonder how much better it would be if I go free float. That Magpul Angle grip is awesome too.
Image Image

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14

I`m Batman wrote:Me too, but I wonder how much better it would be if I go free float. That Magpul Angle grip is awesome too.

What little I have learned over the years...... Barrel harmonics. These good groups you have now (shoulder fired or bench vise) might get better with a full float (but I doubt it). Glass bedding, tight/loose slings, bi-pod to barrel/forearm, weight/speed of bullet and many other things contribute to accuracy. Barrels flex, wiggle, vibrate.... Your group with "cheap match" ammo is pretty good. Is your "flier" usually the first round? When I chronograph my hand loads, there are still groups that are tight with a spread of FPS, and groups that are wide with the chrono reading near perfect FPS through the batch.

It is vodoo....like a good running rotory....like a Chevy that doesn't burn oil....a woman without opinion....elusive....

Just kidding about the "woman" thing, I have a house full of them.
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

I`m Batman

ecam8000 wrote:Is your "flier" usually the first round? When I chronograph my hand loads, there are still groups that are tight with a spread of FPS, and groups that are wide with the chrono reading near perfect FPS through the batch.

It is vodoo....like a good running rotory....like a Chevy that doesn't burn oil....a woman without opinion....elusive....

Just kidding about the "woman" thing, I have a house full of them.

Yes, the first few rounds are off (is it the barrel temperature thing?) but once in a while one would just decide to go off on it's own while it's other friends stuck together. Must be voodoo like you said. haha.
I just use the bi-pod. I don't have a bench vise thingy. :lol:
Image Image

ecam8000

I'd guess it was a clean barrel! Bench rest target shooters tend to show up to a match with "dirty" barrels. Many hunters will tell you of that perfect once in a lifetime shot, and yet they missed. At the range all shooting is done with a dirty barrel (after the first few rounds). Yes I clean my firearms, but before going out on a money shoot (hunting or competition) I will get off a few rounds (sighting in) but will not clean the barrel. Those first shot(s) on a clean barrel have to deal with oils that affects the bullet(s). Once "cleaned" of oil (dirty) the accuracy goes way up. If you put your rig in a shooting vise, you'd be surprised how well it would group. Breathing, heart beat, squeeze, hold and many other things affect how we shoot. Those groups are really VERY good. I've been around some great shooters in my life, and most would be proud of those! Those that might do better are usually military trained and have given considerable time and effort into long range rifle accuracy.

I will bet that in no time in my life would I have been able to better those!
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

I`m Batman

^^^ That make sense. I consider myself as an amateur shooter and just shoot for fun. I'm not planing to be a sniper or anything. An AR is not a good platform for that anyway. I still have a lot to learn. Thank you for the explanation.
Thank you for the last part... I'll take it as a compliment. :D

I'm just happy that my budget build does so well. Good enough to take out zombies from a distance. hahaha. :lol:
Image Image

ecam8000

And with the AR platform, follow up shots are easy - if needed.:rolleyes:
Eric

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:14

Probably going shooting this weekend "down south" and have been shooting midweek at Cherry Creek.
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14

So, has anyone gone out and purchased crazy amounts of ammo or firearms themselves? I know a few people who went out and bought a ludicrous amount of ammo and various rifles out of fear of the "assault weapons" ban coming back.
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14

Nope but Im planning on picking something up for sure.

Thinking about an AK

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14

Dragon man sold an insane amount of rifles lol

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14

Nope. I started a new build (mid-length chrome lined 16" 1:7) before this whole thing started. I just ordered the last parts for the lower last week to complete the new build. I got enough ammo, I'm good.

I'm just going to use my old 16" carbine as a 'permanent' .22 converted for cheap fun. The newest 16" mid-length will shoot 5.56/.223 for fun short range. The 20" HBAR will be for long range.
Image Image

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14

Where do you buy your parts from? Do you buy lower, upper, stock, mags (what else?) all seperately?

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14

I ordered most of my parts from Palmetto State Armory - http://palmettostatearmory.com/.
They make quality stuff for a lower price. Their barrels are made my FN which is one of the best out there. Both PSA and FN are in SC so they are local to each other, I'm sure they have some deals with each other that's why PSA can sell it for cheaper than other brands. The prices has gone up quite a bit since all the craziness happened.

Yes, I get them all separately. I usually wait until the parts I need goes on sale since I'm not in a rush. Everything is pretty much sold out so it would be hard for you to find anything now a days.

For complete parts list and price of my 20" HBAR - see page 7. I did upgrade the stock since.
Image Image

Return to “Lounge”