I hate speed bumps rant

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
Colombia28

I hate speed bumps rant

Postby Colombia28 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:14

My apartment complex is fing absurd with these things. There seems to be one every thirty feet. It's rediculous. There is one directly, and I mean DIRECTLY (caps means it's important :rolleyes: ) after you turn into the damn complex.... WTF! I haven't even made it five feet and there is a speed bump!? These things should be made illegal at both the state and federal level. I found this definition and love it

Speed Bump - An assinine attempt to slow traffic in parking lots or on roads. These bumps are put in by assholes in an attempt to reduce speeds on main through roads in some residential areas. Speed bumps often result in cussing by the "victims" who want to exercise their rights to travel on smooth public roads. Often these pissed off people will speed up excessively after passing over a speed bump to spite the assholes responsible!

2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14

I feel your pain, and not just in the 7 lol.

A couple years ago at our deployed location, I guess people were going too fast down the dirt roads on the working side of the base. So what does Civil Engineering do? Without prior notice or warnings to anyone, they cut huge ruts across the dirt road. In case you didn't know, this is GREAT the first time you hit it in a Polaris Ranger with what feels like steel bars for suspension.

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14

I used to dislike them... but now I wish they put them on my street(BIG ONES where you can catch air). I have kids now and I see stupid people (mostly young people) speeding up and down my street all the time. I just want to throw something big and heavy into the middle of the road when they come by to "simulate" a kid running out onto the road and see if they can stop in time at that speed.
Image Image

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14

I`m Batman wrote:I used to dislike them... but now I wish they put them on my street(BIG ONES where you can catch air). I have kids now and I see stupid people (mostly young people) speeding up and down my street all the time. I just want to throw something big and heavy into the middle of the road when they come by to "simulate" a kid running out onto the road and see if they can stop in time at that speed.

Shopping cart. Not those all plastic ones they are switching to but those full metal ones..

I'm fine with speed bumps as long as they are those long wide ones. I hit one yesterday, with my car full of passengers, going about 30. Didn't even bottom out. Now the tall slim ones or the dips, those are the ones I really hate.

ImageImage

eliminster

Postby eliminster » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14

when we ate at buffalo wild wings friday I couldn't believe I scraped bottom on that speed bump, I don't have one of the lowest 7's (looks at eric) around so it pissed me off cause my car is almost stock height and I went over it nice and slow too. It seemed worse than eric's driveway which only my exhaust scraped a little in the back. Zico couldn't believe it when I backed right out without leaving a giant gouge in the pavement.
87 red rx7
running 13b re cosmo motor
03 yellow wrx
yes it is a stock color
00 black s10 zr2
yes i have it to tow cars when they break.

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Tue May 08, 2012 9:14

I`m Batman wrote:I used to dislike them... but now I wish they put them on my street(BIG ONES where you can catch air). I have kids now and I see stupid people (mostly young people) speeding up and down my street all the time. I just want to throw something big and heavy into the middle of the road when they come by to "simulate" a kid running out onto the road and see if they can stop in time at that speed.

Have you seen those yellow 'people' with flags they sell at Home Depot, Costco, Ace, etc.? I notice people using them around their houses, if/when their kids are playing. Kind of annoying, but it gets the point across.

What's even more annoying-- my lame neighbors put a big *** cone right in the entrance of the cul de sac:rolleyes:

If you recall, I'm coming from the opposite perspective (no kids and like it that way).
one and one makes two, together we are free

mOOsE

Postby mOOsE » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

kingtut wrote:Have you seen those yellow 'people' with flags they sell at Home Depot, Costco, Ace, etc.? I notice people using them around their houses, if/when their kids are playing. Kind of annoying, but it gets the point across.

What's even more annoying-- my lame neighbors put a big *** cone right in the entrance of the cul de sac:rolleyes:

If you recall, I'm coming from the opposite perspective (no kids and like it that way).

those signs are annoying... want to run them over whenever I see them. Also don't have kids, so perspective is different.... but don't let your kids play in the street, or if you do, teach them to watch for cars.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

you talking about these?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

kingtut wrote:If you recall, I'm coming from the opposite perspective (no kids and like it that way).

Opposite perspective? You like speeding through neighborhood streets and running over kids? Guess what, you picked suburbia and guess who lives there? Families.

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

mOOsE wrote:those signs are annoying... want to run them over whenever I see them. Also don't have kids, so perspective is different.... but don't let your kids play in the street, or if you do, teach them to watch for cars.

OK, I'll just play with my metal shopping cart instead and just push it in front of speeding cars that passes my house. Works for me. If they were not speeding, they would be able to stop in time. If they were speeding then well... good luck. :D
Image Image

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

haha that's a good idea. I don't have kids but there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood and peaple speed now and again.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

erod550

Postby erod550 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

Speed limit is 25 in residential areas and if a kid darts out from behind a parked car, there's no guarantee you'll be able to stop in time, even if you're not speeding. Kids have some responsibility too to not be idiots and look before they run out into the street.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

EDIT: ^I also agree with this. Seems like most of us without kids feel this way LOL.

I won't speed through residential areas. Actually, I probably go slower than the posted speed limit and I'm always scanning for kids and pets mainly. It's when they have roads out in the middle of nowhere that have a 30mph speed limit that really ticks me off, then they're just looking for tickets/revenue.

Of course that has nothing to do with speed bumps haha. I don't mind speed bumps as long as they're not every 5 ft and in a ridiculous area where there is no need for them.

Huzer

Postby Huzer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

Back on topic, speed bumps on streets, I don't mind if (as Jimmy side) they're the nice wide ones. In parking lots, they're annoying, as half the time people weave around them anyway. Makes it more dangerous to have cars swerving into other traffic lines to avoid a bump.

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14

erod550 wrote:Speed limit is 25 in residential areas and if a kid darts out from behind a parked car, there's no guarantee you'll be able to stop in time, even if you're not speeding. Kids have some responsibility too to not be idiots and look before they run out into the street.

Yes, but it's a difference between a few bruises and a few cuts or death... depending on your speed.
Image Image

Return to “Lounge”