Waldo Fire

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
kingtut

Postby kingtut » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:Damn, I didn't know Flying W burned out. I'd always wanted to go there but kept forgetting.

I was there not too long ago for a company picnic:(
one and one makes two, together we are free

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14

erod550 wrote:There has been a little rain this afternoon, but it's not helping, because with the rain comes low pressure which causes higher winds which exacerbates the fire.

Well I washed the Pathfinder this afternoon in the hopes that it would bring more rain, because it ALWAYS rains after I wash it really well. I'm hoping for a monsoon directly over the fire.

My Dad called this morning and said my brother (who lives in Florida) is getting flooding due to the hurricane. He said he used to envy both of us because of where we live, but not anymore lol.

kingtut wrote:I was there not too long ago for a company picnic:(

Did you post it in your dining thread?

Mortose

Postby Mortose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14

as of right now, support is coming from all the local military bases, FBI, Homeland security, as well as a "hot shot" fire team from vandenburg AFB.

RedRoadster

Postby RedRoadster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14

As of this morning, 18,500 acres consumed, 5% contained. No count on structures lost.

No reported fatalities.

After seeing the smoke on Tuesday, we high-tailed it to Denver in order to get the wife and kid onto an early morning flight so they could stay with her folks until this subsides. Having to keep the house all closed up cause of the smoke with no central air makes it really hard to manage a 19 month old all day. Denver wasn't exactly pleasant either, ended up in a Motel 6 with only smoking rooms available.

The winds have been shifty today, and while precipitation would be welcome, too much could lead to landslides in the burned areas, as well as flash floods. Not to mention the lightning that typically accompanies our summer storms.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
95 Classic Red Miata - 'Kona'
Racing Beat Sways, AEM WB O2 sensor, ACT clutch, Ground Control Springs, Bilstein HDs, Fat Cat bumpstops, 95 stock 14s (winter) or 99 sport 15s (summer)
Flyin' Miata stuff:
FM II Link GT2560R turbo, Butterfly brace, N/A dual exhaust, Oil filter relo kit, Rear shock mounts

08 Sunlight Silver Mazda 3s GT Sedan - 'Tuna'
OEM Wing spoiler, Sirius and Media switcher

05 Onyx Black Mazda 6i Hatchback - 'Smokey'

G-Man

Postby G-Man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14

All I can say is "Wow."
This was in the Denver Post: http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962928/photos-before-and-after-views-neighborhood-burned-by#mirrormajestic

My heart goes out to those of you in the Springs. And I'm saying that with the Boulder Flagstaff fire less than six miles away from my house...

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14

My neighborhood is doing some donations. I'll be dropping some stuff off tomorrow morning. I didn't have time to go shopping so I'm just emptying out what I have in the house. It's the least we can do to help.
Image Image

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14

I and a bunch of people from work volunteered at the Care & Share food bank today from 10 to 5. We brought in a TON of food, socks, Gatorade (apparently everyone heard that the fire fighters needed socks and Gatorade). Going back tomorrow for the whole day.

I really hope they get this thing put out soon.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14

We donated some to the Red Cross and some to Care & Share. Seems like they're making a fair amount of progress and some people that were evacuated have been allowed to go home.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

dommo_g

Postby dommo_g » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14

Whoever said that about the Red Cross, I totally agree. I'll never again give to them, or United Way, et. al. after reading about the amount per dollar that goes just to keep the admin team running.

Now a time like this, it's totally different. You can run up there with a couple cases of bottled water and a bunch of granola bars or something like that, and be pretty damn sure that those who need it, like the firefighters, will get 100% of your donation.

The coSRToc has tons of members down in the Springs, so we're keeping an eye on this one. Hope everyone down there from the CMZC is ok.

Colombia28

Postby Colombia28 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14

dommo_g wrote:Hope everyone down there from the CMZC is ok.

Likewise.

Got some good news from a few friends who's parents were evacuated. One friends parents were able to get back to their house and the other who still can't get back is told that their house is still standing and appears to have not been damaged at all. Thanks to all the firefighters out there!
2008 Cosmic Blue Speed3 - NEW :D
2006 Copper Red Mica 3 hatch - SOLD :(
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14

A lady told me yesterday that 20-something homes had been burglarized while the areas were vacant. They caught and man and woman but who knows if there were more. People make me sick sometimes.

It's good people are getting back to their homes though. They still say the fire won't be 100% contained until 11 Jul but we'll see. It seems like it's getting snuffed pretty fast now.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14

I just got back from Vacuuming. we left the friday before the fire started. All is well.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14

dommo_g wrote:Whoever said that about the Red Cross, I totally agree. I'll never again give to them, or United Way, et. al. after reading about the amount per dollar that goes just to keep the admin team running.

I used to volunteer on one of the disaster action teams for the Red Cross. They're one of the more efficient non-profits, with only about 10% of funds going for administrative overhead and fundraising. Many non-profits run in the 20-30% range. Not interested in starting a fight, just want to have another opinion out there.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3277
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/human-services/american-red-cross-in-washington-dc-679

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14

Justin wrote: They're one of the more efficient non-profits, with only about 10% of funds going for administrative overhead and fundraising.

Meh. I'm pretty sure we'd disagree on most any topic though.

I did say that the RC does provide helpful services (at times).

Moving on...
one and one makes two, together we are free

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:14

A close up look at what the firefighters were going through trying to save homes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZei9lJ2G1k"]Raw Video: Waldo Canyon Fire - YouTube[/ame]
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Lounge”