H&R Coilovers. Need stock rear springs

Off Topic Discussion. These posts do count towards overall post count. This is by far the best subforum on the site.
Number2

H&R Coilovers. Need stock rear springs

Postby Number2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:14

What's up guys,

I have been having a bit of trouble with my rear suspension after I took a speed bump at a high speed and it has been clunking ever since. I am running the H&R coilovers.

I've taken it to a shop and had them look at it, and we've determined that when everything is bolted up nice and tight, and the car is jacked up and under load, there is a still play in the springs. With testing we can bang the springs with our hand and it rattles in place. I've always had my suspicions that the springs weren't quite right, as I have the adjuster piece in the highest possible position and I only have 1-finger wheel gap. In comparison, the adjustable piece in the front is about half-way exactly and is 1-finger wheel gap.

I'd like to try the stock springs and see if that solves my clunking sound. Then I'm going to return the springs to H&R and see if they can have a look and see about replacement rear springs.

I gave my stock shocks/springs to a friend for him to use, and it appears that his parents have donated them or tossed them. Sooo, I am asking if anyone would be kind enough to loan me their stock springs for a couple of weeks while I get this sorted out with H&R ?

Or if anyone knows a superstar with suspension, any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks guys!
"Littering, and?..."

D Walker

Postby D Walker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:14

springs dont really make noise when the weight of the car is on them, I would keep looking..
1986 Turbo FC race car, S6 13b, GOOPY Apex seals etc, GT35R, AEM EMS, lots more good stuff

RX8 World Chalenge Touring Car #7
RX8 World Challenge Touring Car #8

Number2

Postby Number2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14

Yea you're right. I'm having another shop look at her on Tuesday. I am still not satisfied with the H&R springs, as the rating of .7" - 2" drop is not indicative of the range I have, which is 2.5" - 5.0+" drop (aka. sitting on tires lol. Hopefully H&R will remedy this issue after I take some pics). Either way, we'll see what the next shop says!
"Littering, and?..."

whobeyou

Postby whobeyou » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:14

Hmm, the travel on the coilovers can only be so much, it sounds like one of the linkages is slipping/not attached. To me it sounds like it's not bearing any of the load and the linkage at the top or bottom is clunking around instead of absorbing shock. I'm not a suspension expert, but if you're getting double+ the travel on your coilover, something isn't right. How is the shock absorption? When you hit a bump, does it bounce around forever or does it absorb the shock?

Number2

Postby Number2 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:14

Took the speed over to the guys at:
Denver Spring & Suspension
3510 Brighton Blvd
Denver, CO 80216
(303) 295-7638

They had a guy ride in the car with me and diagnosed the problem and fixed it in less than an hour. The bolts at the bottom of the shock that hold it in place had both come loose with the speed bump. (Driver side more than the other)...so a quick ratchet and I was on my way. He said he couldn't charge me for the labor, but I threw him some money for his time and for making my day.

Now I'm questioning the work that I had done at Pro Import Automotive on E Illiff ave. They looked at it twice and couldn't figure it out for the life of them...I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.
"Littering, and?..."

Return to “Lounge”