Maintenance day at my place

Meet and Event Information
speedjunkie

Maintenance day at my place

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14

This Saturday, 10 May. I'm gonna try to start working in the morning but show up when you want. I'm planning on grilling too. It will probably be burgers, hot dogs, brats...if you want something special to eat or drink, bring it.

Address is 2503 Sierra Drive. Right on the corner of Constitution and Sierra, a few blocks west of Powers.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

Do you have a big ### impact wrench? 3/4"? I'm replacing the rear hubs/bearings on my Miata this weekend but I'm worried about those axle nuts. I'm going to harbor freight to get a bigger impact wrench if I have to. I know last time I tried to do an axle nut with just a 1/2" breaker bar I broke the thing and wrenched my back too. Not trying to shortcut this time around.

3/4" 29mm or 1-1/8" impact socket needed too. And a 1/2" or 3/4" torque wrench that can do 180 ft-lbs. I was just going to try to borrow one of those from Autozone or something.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Saul_Good
Location: Cerritos, CA (DW says i can't play here anymore...)

Postby Saul_Good » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

If I stop by it'll prolly be after 3pm since I have the kiddos while wife works. Hopefully you guys still there.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:Do you have a big ### impact wrench? 3/4"? I'm replacing the rear hubs/bearings on my Miata this weekend but I'm worried about those axle nuts. I'm going to harbor freight to get a bigger impact wrench if I have to. I know last time I tried to do an axle nut with just a 1/2" breaker bar I broke the thing and wrenched my back too. Not trying to shortcut this time around.

3/4" 29mm or 1-1/8" impact socket needed too. And a 1/2" or 3/4" torque wrench that can do 180 ft-lbs. I was just going to try to borrow one of those from Autozone or something.

I have an electric one but I think it might be 1/2". I can take a look or you can come over and see if I have what you're looking for. I'm pretty sure I don't have the socket though. Although I'm not 100% sure because when I bought the toolbox there were a lot of tools left in there and there were some impact sockets. I just don't think any of them are that big, but I could be wrong. I can look when I get home tonight. The problem will be REMEMBERING to look lol. I do have regular sockets that big, but I'd rather not use one for that if it broke the nut AND you last time lol. The torque wrench I'm pretty sure I have, because I use it on the flywheel nut. And that has to go up to like 300ft/lb or something.

Saul_Good wrote:If I stop by it'll prolly be after 3pm since I have the kiddos while wife works. Hopefully you guys still there.

Yeah we'll probably still be working. I imagine I will be anyway lol. Jason Turton was talking about coming over after he gets off work at 2 also.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

No problem. I have tomorrow off so I was actually thinking about starting on the job tomorrow anyway, and I could use a beefier impact wrench for a lot of other jobs too so I'll just go get one. Thanks though.

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

I'll try and stop by for an hour or so. I can't stay too long.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

my wife is saying im spending to much time working in the car but im going to try to come by lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

I'm doing the Armed Forces Community 10k that morning. If not too late when done, I'll try to drop by.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 08, 2014 9:14

erod550 wrote:No problem. I have tomorrow off so I was actually thinking about starting on the job tomorrow anyway, and I could use a beefier impact wrench for a lot of other jobs too so I'll just go get one. Thanks though.

OK cool. No problem. Good luck with it lol.

RX-7 Chris wrote:I'll try and stop by for an hour or so. I can't stay too long.

Ok sounds good.

boosted12a wrote:my wife is saying im spending to much time working in the car but im going to try to come by lol

LOL sounds good.

FDEEZ wrote:I'm doing the Armed Forces Community 10k that morning. If not too late when done, I'll try to drop by.

Ok cool. I've been hearing a lot of that. I think most people will be here in the afternoon from the sound of it. Maybe I'll grill for lunch AND dinner lol.

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri May 09, 2014 9:14

im down, itll be after 4 though
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

winners compare their achievements with their goals,
while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14

Ok cool

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14

So what happened at Junkie's? Any solutions to the starting problem? Anyone get anything accomplished?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon May 12, 2014 9:14

We had a HUGE turnout. Thanks to everyone that came over!

Zico pulled me and we pop-started the car right away, and he said the rear wheels locked up when it started, indicating the compression is good. I drove it back to the house and it died when I let off the gas. We pulled it back up the hill and I rolled and pop-started it and drove it around the block a couple times and back to the house. I let off the gas slowly and it idled on it's own. It got up to 215 degrees and the fans kicked on. I kept my foot on the gas to keep it going and let it idle on it's own with the fans on. They turned off and it idled until 215 again when the fans kicked on and it died. Later on we put gear oil in the engine and it started, then I let the engine suck in Sea Foam to clean out the carbon, and then water to clean all that out. Anyway, it won't start under normal cranking, but will start with oil in the engine and/or pop starting, and THAT indicates low compression. So I'm not sure what to think.

Another problem is something I believe to be electrical. I had the battery tested last week but I'm still not fully convinced it's good. And if it's not the battery I REALLY don't know what it is. When I crank it, the first crank is usually strong, but when I try again right after, it cranks real slow. If I wait a bit, it will usually crank strong again, and then slow again. Almost like it has to build up power again. And when it cranks slower the voltage is lower, like around 9 and 10v, as opposed to when it cranks strong at around 11 and 12v. FDEEZ brought a couple batteries over and we tried those and also hooked them up together with no luck. I took out the grounding buss bars that I put in a while back, no luck. I took out the breaker on the power cable of the battery, no luck. Tonight I disconnected the ground cable to the transmission from the battery, no luck.

A few people worked on their cars, but most people just came to hang out.

Photos to come!

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue May 20, 2014 9:14

I keep forgetting to post the photos.

Jason (JTurton) took the first two pics, I took the rest. And if anyone else has any, feel free to post them.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:14

Dang, that's a lot of FDs. Glad I decided to stay home. Would have been cool to hang out but I really wanted to just get it done. Unfortunately the driver's side lower control arm bolt wouldn't budge, so I ended up dropping it off at a shop this morning to get that side done.

Former Rides:

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Colorado Automotive Enthusiasts Meets and Events”