Build thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
RX-7 Chris

Re: Build thread

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14

You still haven't replaced it?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:The idler pulley is still making noise when I start the car and occasionally when I take a corner. I checked it out tonight, I'm pretty sure myself now that the bearing is bad, as some have said before.

https://youtu.be/9HNfTZBC-_o

When you replace that, maybe you can make a small wheel of fortune or price is right wheel out of it....won't even need the annoying clicker.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:You still haven't replaced it?

No, because I thought we agreed the noise was gone lol. Although the stock pulley now squeals sometimes when I start the car, so I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the belts or what. I emailed Pettit today to see which exact bearing they used.

Shadowden wrote:When you replace that, maybe you can make a small wheel of fortune or price is right wheel out of it....won't even need the annoying clicker.

Good idea. I might do that lol.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:14

I emailed Pettit to see which exact bearing they used and they shipped me a replacement no charge. Great customer service!

I also talked to Chris about tuning and we might just wait until after winter, because I might be swapping turbos over the winter. At first it was just because I wanted to step up in size, but now I think my oil seals in the current turbo might be going bad. I have some residue/spray on the top of the radiator and on the crossmember behind the radiator. I also found some oil in the intake pipe. It sucks because I don't think BW sells just the CHRAs for the EFRs.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:14

I got the bearing from Pettit today, but it's the wrong one lol.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:14

Just go down to whisler bearing to get one.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:Just go down to whisler bearing to get one.

That's what I was planning to do but I wanted to make 100% sure I got the same exact one. I'm going to call them today though. I put a stock one in for now so I'm not in a huge hurry. The only problem is it still squeals sometimes when I start the car, so maybe it's the belts too.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:14

I called Whisler Bearing on Friday and they quoted me $22 for the bearing, and I've found it numerous places online for around $5. Soooooo, yeah, I think I'll be buying it online since I'm not in a hurry lol.

I stopped by Jason's work tonight and we drove each other's cars. I was pretty happy with his turbo so I'll be doing that swap this winter with any luck.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14

I'm still waiting to hear back from Pettit Racing about the bearing. I'm about to just buy one online.

The sunroof panel that I posted about a while back, the rare part...well, I just bought one haha. I can't believe I found someone selling one. And recently I learned of another part that is even more rare, an option Mazda had for the map pocket. It's a little tray that sits in the top of the pocket and holds coins and cards. So I'm on the hunt again HAHA.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14

And I'm STILL waiting to hear back from Pettit. I'm going to email them again.

I got the sunroof panel today and tried a test fit on the car. Unless I'm missing something, it's not even close to fitting. It's too short lengthwise and too long widthwise. In other words, it's too square for my rectangular sunroof lol. So I'm looking into that.

I picked up the 8374 IWG turbo from Andy the other night. Those things are pretty heavy haha. I emailed Elliot White of Turblown several days ago about his cast manifold to see when he'd have some in stock and I still haven't heard back. I'm going to try reusing my downpipe since the turbos should be around the same position I think.

I've been talking to Mitch about making a new OMP reservoir but I'm torn on where to put it. I have a place that would be functionally perfect, but visually I'm not crazy about it. It's the easiest to make though and it would be the easiest to fill and be more gravity fed than the other place I'm thinking, so I'll probably go that route.

I'm still trying to decide the best time to take the car to work and bring the scales outside to weigh it haha. Or maybe go to WR Roadrace and weigh it there.

I went to Cars and Coffee on Saturday at Vehicle Vault in Parker, then to Elitch Gardens to stage for the cruise through downtown. There were some great cars in both places, and a TON of cars at Elitch's. It was crazy. I didn't stay for the cruise though because I got separated from Kyle (the FD owner that invited me) and I had some things to take care of at home anyway. The tune was pretty sketchy most of the day in the lean area I've had issues with. Then Sunday morning it ran GREAT, almost didn't even notice the lean area.

I'm getting very excited about doing the winter upgrades, but I need to finish this work stuff first before I can get to the car again.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14

OK I'm an idiot, I figured out the sunroof panel lol. It's from the exact same year and model trim so it makes sense that it would fit perfectly. My only problem now is the inner rivet is broken on each side of the rear of the sunroof where the panel snaps in, so I have to fix that before I can install it.

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:OK I'm an idiot, I figured out the sunroof panel lol. It's from the exact same year and model trim so it makes sense that it would fit perfectly. My only problem now is the inner rivet is broken on each side of the rear of the sunroof where the panel snaps in, so I have to fix that before I can install it.

Is this panel for a glass moonroof or a metal sunroof? If moonroof, great find! I gave up trying to find one years ago.

speedjunkie

It's for a glass moonroof. I didn't realize the glass moonroof was kinda rare until several years ago in NC when my buddy kept trying to buy mine lol. Years ago someone talked about trying to make a CF blank to lighten it up top but nothing ever came of it.

This panel was a lot easier to find than I thought.

What were you looking for, the moonroof itself or this panel?

FDEEZ

Postby FDEEZ » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14

The panel (sun shade) for the glass moonroof. I knew it existed...just never saw one or saw one for sale.

I have both a sunroof & moonroof. On those occasions that I want to lighten up the car, I switch to the sunroof. That glass weighs a ton.

speedjunkie

I don't think the glass is that heavy to be honest, but I'd imagine it's heavier than the aluminum. I wouldn't mind getting an aluminum one too for the same reason. I'm really surprised this plastic panel weighs as much as it does.

My only concern with switching back and forth all the time would be removing the plastics around the edge of the panel. I broke one of the mounting tabs this time. Possibly more than one actually.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”