DIY: Parking Brake Install

Talk about your Rotaries!
Huzer21

Postby Huzer21 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

Parking Brake install:

1. Disconnect battery. Terminal is a 10mm nut.
2. Make sure you block off the tires to prevent the car from rolling.
3. Remove passenger seat. There are 3 14mm bolts. The front left is a 14mm nut attached to a stud in the floor. Pry off the plastic covers and remove the bolts. The rear right side was easiest with at least a 6” extension. Tilt the seat backward, and disconnect any connections. Lift and remove seat from the car.
4. Place the car in neutral. The first piece to remove is the upper panel around the shifter. Remove the parking brake adjustment panel (shown).

Reach in through the hole, and you’ll feel a tab. Push the tab gently to the left and lift up on the panel. It should pop right off. It is only held in place by wedge-type clips.

5. There are a quite a few, easy to locate screws to remove. All are Phillips head. Start from the rear, and move forward. There are 2 screws under the rear pass through. Lift and remove the pass through to get to those screws.

Lift the rear armrest, remove the carpet, and remove the 2 screws.

Slide the front armrest cover all the way back and lift. Remove the carpet, and remove the 2 screws there. Remove the accessory socket. It pops right out, and unplug the connector.

Remove the screw in front of the cupholders. For the front portion of the console, there are 6 screws. 2 are located behind the shift boot, 2 in front, and 2 behind the ashtray. Remove the 2 screws at the base of the ashtray.

Then, simply lift the ashtray door, give a tug, and the entire assembly will pop out. Disconnect the connectors. To remove the ashtray light, I found it easiest to simply wedge a small screwdriver (I wrapped it in tape to prevent scraping) and pry it out. There are two clips on a couple of expose bolts. Remove by using a smaller jewelers screwdriver and pry back on one of the tabs. You can then slide the clips off easily.

Remove the 4 other screws.

Once that is done, you can remove the entire center console in one, easy piece.

Huzer21

6. To remove the parking brake lever, first disconnect the connector.

Remove the adjustment nut (10mm). There are three bolts to remove. One in front, one behind, and one hiding under the carpet on the side of the transmission tunnel. The bolts are 12mm.

7. Install everything in reverse order. Torque specs for the 3 parking brake bolts: 13.8-18.8 ft-lb. The seat bolts are 28.2-37.5 ft-lb.
8. Once you reconnect the battery, use the typical procedure to get the TCS/DSC idiot lights to clear. (Start car, rotate steering wheel all the way to the right, then all the way to the left. Turn car off, then turn back on to verify lights have cleared.

It isn’t difficult, or really time consuming. I replaced this and installed the short shift kit from Axial Flow in about 80-90 minutes, and that was taking my time.

tsx_guy

Postby tsx_guy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

that is a super nice write up...nice pics too!
"20<cut off="">"</cut>

Huzer21

Thanks. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

.........you never had a parking brake before? (thats joking) So whats this DIY for tightening the bolt?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huzer21 @ Oct 8 2007, 12:44 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=4094]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
Thanks. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything.[/b]
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes
http://www.TitanTuff.com

Huzer21

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpeedRacer @ Oct 8 2007, 02:56 PM) [url=index.php?act=findpost&pid=4117]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/url]</div>
.........you never had a parking brake before? (thats joking) So whats this DIY for tightening the bolt?[/b]

Tightening the bolt? It's if you want to replace your own parking brake handle on the RX-8! Or, just a DIY on how to remove the center console. Pretty straightforward stuff.

SpeedRacer

Postby SpeedRacer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14

Yeah the johnson rod bolt... So did you replace your brake handle?
Heavy duty adjustable dog leashes

http://www.TitanTuff.com

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”