STOLEN: My 1993 Mazda RX-7

Talk about your Rotaries!
Ranger

Postby Ranger » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

Nope. Police don't really care about stolen cars. They found it abandoned in a parking lot, and unfortunately there was no personal information in the car or anything else that could have identified who the theives were. Still burns me up that anyone could be so low to do something like that. Scum of the earth...

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

^Maybe they could have dusted for prints. Too late now though, and they probably would have turned down that idea anyway. Like you said, they don't give a shit about stolen shit on cars, or stolen cars themselves. Unless it's theirs of course.

Ranger wrote:I was thinking the same thing...they don't look stock. It only had the factory alarm, so I'd say it's not that. But I do have a couple aftermarket gauges...a/f meter and a boost gauge. I also have a Power FC so those wires could have been added when that was installed. I haven't had a chance to trace them...I'll put it on my list of things to do to this car whenever I get it back :rolleyes:

Those aren't PFC wires. Actually the PFC only comes as a direct replacement of the factory ECU, and if you get the commander with it, it only has the one wire going to that. If you have a datalogit there are more wires but none of them look like that. And all of that is a moot point anyway because the PFC and all that stuff is on the passenger side of the car haha. I would be willing to bet those are for the gauges, but I only see the white a blue wires so I'm not sure. Where are your gauges mounted, on the pillar? If so, I can almost guarantee those are for the gauges. If those guys were trying to jump the car using gauge wires, they're either very smart because they know some trick I've never heard of, OR they're so stupid I'm surprised they even knew that it was a car to begin with. LOL

Do you know Tyler? He was with us at the track in Pueblo that day you had the oil issues on the Porsche. Anyway, he has a nice white FC. His car is at Precision right now too getting the engine rebuilt. He's supposed to have it back by this Friday. I'm sure you guys will meet this summer if you haven't already.

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

was there any exterior damage? or just engine and interior?
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

Ranger

IT'S DONE!!! I just got the call from Precision at lunch saying I can come pick it up whenever. I'm so excited! I just hope I can get temp tags for it...I've already had two. But that was so long ago, I doubt they will care. With any luck, coilovers and rims will be going on this weekend! The a/f meter is mounted on the pillar, yeah. The boost gauge is the Pettit one that goes over the steering column. Question, if I remove the commander from the car, will that keep it from running? Or would I still have to physically disconnected the ECU? If so where is it located? Oh, and I don't know Tyler personally, but I do know the car you're talking about. Super clean.

Yeah there was some exterior damage...but not too bad. I posted pics of it a while back, page 7 I think.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

Ranger wrote:IT'S DONE!!! I just got the call from Precision at lunch saying I can come pick it up whenever. I'm so excited! I just hope I can get temp tags for it...I've already had two. But that was so long ago, I doubt they will care. With any luck, coilovers and rims will be going on this weekend! The a/f meter is mounted on the pillar, yeah. The boost gauge is the Pettit one that goes over the steering column. Question, if I remove the commander from the car, will that keep it from running? Or would I still have to physically disconnected the ECU? If so where is it located? Oh, and I don't know Tyler personally, but I do know the car you're talking about. Super clean.

Yeah there was some exterior damage...but not too bad. I posted pics of it a while back, page 7 I think.

Page 7!!!! I only have 4 pages OMG.... Any idea what post # it was? Well I think I can search through 4 pages. Congrats.

Ranger

Haha, yeah I ought to change my board settings...with the default settings we are now on page 11.

It's post #104.

http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69983&postcount=104

The only cosmetic damage was a stolen headlight cover, and a bunch of scratches on the rear. The thieves scraped the badge off.

deepSpeedMS3

Postby deepSpeedMS3 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

does it feel good to have it back? does it still have a lot of after market work to do? if you do i would give you a hand if you want? im not very knowledgeable (willing to learn) but i could help you with labor (man power). im glad to hear your got it back. nice feeling
B) deepSpeed MS3 B)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Going fast and looking good...it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. EdgeAutosport.com [size=100]- [/SIZE]- [size=100]Supplying parts to all major imports [/SIZE] - Locally owned in Colorado

Number2

Postby Number2 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

Ranger wrote:Nope. Police don't really care about stolen cars. They found it abandoned in a parking lot, and unfortunately there was no personal information in the car or anything else that could have identified who the theives were. Still burns me up that anyone could be so low to do something like that. Scum of the earth...

Don't worry my good man. There is a special place in Hell for thieves. And no they don't serve ice cream!

Glad you got your car back.

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:14

Ranger wrote:Haha, yeah I ought to change my board settings...with the default settings we are now on page 11.

It's post #104.

http://www.coloradomazdaclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69983&postcount=104

The only cosmetic damage was a stolen headlight cover, and a bunch of scratches on the rear. The thieves scraped the badge off.

Yeah I saw that. It sucks. Atleast it's not anything that is hard to replace. At least you got your car back. It will be perfect soon enough.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

Ranger wrote:IT'S DONE!!! I just got the call from Precision at lunch saying I can come pick it up whenever. I'm so excited! I just hope I can get temp tags for it...I've already had two. But that was so long ago, I doubt they will care. With any luck, coilovers and rims will be going on this weekend! The a/f meter is mounted on the pillar, yeah. The boost gauge is the Pettit one that goes over the steering column. Question, if I remove the commander from the car, will that keep it from running? Or would I still have to physically disconnected the ECU? If so where is it located? Oh, and I don't know Tyler personally, but I do know the car you're talking about. Super clean.

Awesome! Congrats. So you already have the coilovers and rims? Yeah those wires are probably boost gauge and/or af meter then. I'm interested to know for sure though. No, removing the commander will not keep it from running, that's only so you can make adjustments. You'd have to disconnect the connectors on the back of the ECU. If you're sitting in the passenger seat, the ECU is behind the kick panel next to your right foot. You have to take off the door sill piece, then undo the two plastic screws in the panel itself, and slide it back towards you because there is a tab on the footpanel holding that end in place. Then you'll be able to see the ECU but if you really wanna get a good look at it you'll have to remove the bolts holding it in. Actually, with it being a PFC it may not be mounted to the car like the stock ECU, mine isn't, mine is just sitting in there behind the panel. If you want a kill switch on that, you might be able to hook up something to make it so you don't have to unplug the ECU every time, just turn it off. I'm thinking about doing that myself.

Yeah Tyler's FC is nice! You guys might be picking up your cars at the same time haha.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

What about a fuel cut switch?
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Finnicky7

Postby Finnicky7 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

RX-7 Chris wrote:What about a fuel cut switch?

Bingo. Find your ground to your fuel pump and a well placed switch will deter anything but a tow truck thief.
Made fast courtesy of Chris Sanders at http://www.banzai-racing.com/:

My 517rwhp dyno run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-583ecIAU

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

I drove it to work today! Woooohoo! What a great feeling to be driving this car again. I smell like gas fumes now, good ol' rotary :lol: Its current condition saddens me, but I'll clean it up soon enough. I found the badge that was scraped off in the hatch, so that'll save me a bit of money. And yeah, I will definitely be installing a fuel cut switch and probably a battery cut switch, too. Putting one on the ECU is a good idea too if that's possible.

Anyway despite being super rich the car seems to run well. With staying out of boost, and with it being rich, it doesn't run hot at all. I don't know if the PFC is accurate anymore but it never reached temps above 40*C. This makes me think that the main reason for it running so hot before is probably because it was running lean, but I'm still going to get an oil cooler for it. There's only one thing I'm concerned with...the drivetrain seems to have a lot of slop that wasn't there before. During engine braking the car shakes after I get off the gas, and I can hear a ticking sound coming from the engine bay. But I'm not too worried at the moment. Oh, and the boost/vac gauge doesn't seem to work...I need to call Precision about that and ask if it worked for them. I can still monitor boost on the PFC but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I just have to listen to the turbos and make sure they're not spooling too much during the break-in period.

Thanks for the help everyone, and I'll most likely see you at Sonic this Sunday! After a good tune and after I get the new suspension / wheels on (yes I do have them already) I think this car will be WAY better than it ever was.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

you could be having problems with the clutch or release bearing.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Ranger

Postby Ranger » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14

That somehow wouldn't surprise me at all :rolleyes: I really don't want to put it back in the shop, but as I don't know much about clutches (and I've read they're a PITA on FDs) I'm not going to mess with it myself...if it gets worse, I'll take it to a tranny shop, I guess.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”