Build thread

Talk about your Rotaries!
speedjunkie

Re: Build thread

Postby speedjunkie » Fri May 06, 2022 9:14

The RX-8 blower motor and squirrel cage and FD motor came in, but neither are viable options. I compared the RX-8 piece with the original one from the FD.

Aside from the one mounting point, the bottom is almost identical. It even has the same connector.
Image20220505_181209 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

However, the squirrel cage is a different story. They spin opposite directions. And while I was hoping for a more efficient design, they look pretty much identical aside from facing the other direction and spinning opposite. Also, the RX-8 squirrel cage bolts on.
Image20220505_181226 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

I picked up a couple parts from Mazda yesterday. The one thing I really needed to start putting the engine bay back together (power steering return hose) they told me yesterday was no longer available and to call back for a refund today. But they called me today and said the hose came in, and only after I already put one on order with Ray Crowe lol. So I got the hose today, and I'm going to put some protective covering on it and start getting the engine bay back together.

Xavier welded the fuse box bracket pieces together for me this afternoon and I did a test fit tonight. I need to get them plated but it's so expensive to get just one thing done. I really like how they turned out though. I might see if I can design and print some kind of piece to cover the ugly bits though.
Image20220506_204245 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr
Image20220506_204257 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

I'm supposed to get the ECU back next Wednesday so I'm taking it to Matt Schultz next Saturday to see if he can fix it. And the connectors for the starter harness came in today.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 07, 2022 9:14

Well the first part of the day was pretty productive. I got the interior all finished aside from the door panels, but if I don't get the scanner by the time everything else on the car is finished, I'm going to just put the mirrors back on and tackle that issue next year I guess. I even got the seats mounted in the car. They still flex a little, but it's only due to the stock rails, so I guess I'll just live with it.

Once I started working on the engine bay, things stalled fairly quick. I got the two power steering lines in (the return line is new since the old one had a serious abrasion) and I put some protective cover on them first, and I drilled a hole to put in a nutsert for a brace for the high side AC line so it doesn't rub on the boost control lines anymore, but the only riv nut gun I have won't work because the hole is too close to the engine so I don't have room to use the gun, so I had to order a mandrel for a 90 degree riv nut gun I have. Then I figured I could put the fuel rail back in so I pulled the last adapter bung out of the LIM but I scratched it pretty bad so I ordered a new set of those. I don't want to take any chances with fuel spraying in the engine bay. I figured two losses that close together meant it was time to quit for the day. I did get in about 10-11 hours.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun May 08, 2022 9:14

I started taking the dash apart again this morning because I thought I didn't connect a couple connectors behind the dash. I made several wiring changes this winter and I wanted to verify the horn and other things still worked. They didn't, so I figured I missed those two connectors. Luckily I didn't make it too far and noticed I had connected them, then realized I don't have power going to the fuse block in the engine bay. I ran that power and got horn and everything back. But when I turned the key to accessory, the left blinker went crazy blinking really fast. Neither blinker works during this time, but hazards do and they blink normal speed. I don't have the front bumper or blinkers installed, no ECU, no alternator, and some wiring in the engine bay still disconnected, so there are several things that could possibly be causing this.

I did the oil change, and pulled the primary injectors and changed the o-rings on all the injectors. One problem with that is there was so much sand and dirt around the injector bungs that some fell into the engine. Most of it was stuck to the sides with fuel or oil or something, so I ran the vacuum hose right above it while I started scraping it off but some fell down into the engine anyway. Luckily it's in the runner so I rigged up a little tube to the vacuum hose and got some of it out.

For having a full weekend to work on the car, I really didn't get much done.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue May 10, 2022 9:14

The mandrel for the riv nut gun came a day early so I picked it up this afternoon. It's not exactly the right part, but it worked, so I was able to get a bunch of stuff installed. AC lines, compressor, radiator/condenser and hoses, the stand-off for the AC high side line so it doesn't rub the boost control lines. I was going to install the power steering pump until I remembered that I need to wait for the harness so I can hook it up to the compressor first.
Image20220510_231055 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr
Image20220510_233016 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

My aaooga horn doesn't fit anymore where I had it since the mounts for the condenser are in the way, so it has to come out for now. Sad panda.

I'm thinking about getting the fuse box mount remade in stainless steel. I'm having a hard time deciding which plating I want to get done, and it's so expensive to get just a few pieces done.

I need to find some racing harnesses with longer bottom straps, the set I have won't reach the rings.

A&C Plastics in Colorado Springs has Dibond, or something similar (I think they call it ACM), so I'm going to stop by there and check it out. It's not exactly what I'm looking for to make a splitter and diffuser, but it might be strong enough to work, it's cheaper, and it's local.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed May 11, 2022 9:14

I got the ECU back today and the box was wet. Ugh. I opened it up to check for water and it looked dry so I plugged it into the car to see if my fast blinker woes were fixed. They were not. I put the front bumper back on and connected the blinkers and it stopped flashing quickly, but still flashed. So I still have an issue.

Additionally, my tach doesn't show mileage or anything else in the little box. Hmmm

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu May 12, 2022 9:14

The injector bungs showed up today, and I had ordered some naca ducts and ducting hose from Pegasus that showed up today too. I put the injectors and fuel rails back in, and that's pretty much it.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 14, 2022 9:14

I took the ECU to Matt today, along with the old CPU 2. He didn't find anything wrong with CPU 2, but something has to be wrong with it because it was setting the alarm with the doors open lol.

The ECU, wow was there damage. The part that failed...basically is no longer there. I'm not sure if it exploded off the board, or disintegrated. Either way, it's not there, and it left a lot of burn marks. But he said he can fix it.

On my way back through Denver I stopped at UPAP and got a couple power steering caps (for free) from other Mazdas from the early 2000s. They weren't exactly the same size but they worked. My old cap was pretty worn.

I also have an issue with the speedo not reading any info on the little screen inside the gauge, and I was thinking I didn't connect the GPS but I checked and it's connected, and it looks like everything on the back of the cluster is connected.

After thinking more about the blinker issue I realized it was probably coming from the combo switch so I started digging into that. I disconnected X-04 (the blue connector under the column) and it stopped. I checked for continuity and I have it between the B/Y and Y (according to the first pic), the only problem is the FSM says that's the right blinker (according to the second pic) and my wiring is not even close to matching any of these colors (third pic, B/G, B/R, and G/Y on my wiring). There is a used switch for sale right now for $325, but if I have to get a new one it'll be about $550. I might see if I can fix mine though.
Imagecombo switch X-04 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr
Imagecombo switch issue by Eric Jausel, on Flickr
Image2022-05-15_12-55-58 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun May 15, 2022 9:14

It took another set of eyes but the problem is discovered.

I pulled it apart to show Xavier what was going on, but the right blinker was going this time, even though I was still getting continuity on the same wires. Then the left blinker again. I didn't realize (or I'd forgotten) that the actual switch for the blinker was on the side right behind the stalk and it's actuated by tabs that stick out, tabs that I apparently broke off when I installed the dash again. So I'll need to buy a new combo switch anyway. This thing will not stop bleeding me dry. Hopefully Ray has a killer price on this.
ImageScreenshot_20220515-174139_Gallery by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue May 17, 2022 9:14

Got a late start last night so all I did was modify the splitter frame a bit and install it loosely.
Image20220516_223003 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

And here are the naca ducts and hose for the splitter that came in the other day.
Image20220516_223709 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

I talked to Speedhut tech support today and they told me that I must not be getting power on the red wire. I thought they meant the larger red wire and I was getting power there. Eventually I found the issue though. It's fixed now.
Image20220517_211447 by Eric Jausel, on Flickr

I called around about combination switches all morning today. Ray told me it would be $505 and take 4-6 weeks to ship from Japan, and there were three dealerships in the US with them, so I decided to do some more searching first. I already knew it was $550 from Atkins and $491 from Mazdatrix. I found them on a couple other sites for around $450. I called one of those sites (located in Hempstead, NY) and they checked stock and said they had it, then I asked about price. They said they couldn't do the listed price online because they closed the website down (even though I was looking at it just then) and he handed me over to his manager. His manager said they'd have to do list price, roughly $621, but he'd knock off 10% and he'd do $550. I told him no and hung up. He called me back immediately and said he'd do $490 but I'd have to give them a shipping label from UPS. I told him no again because it seemed like a scam, and he hung up. I called Bob Penkhus and they said it was a retired part and I gave them the backstory and they agreed that three dealerships had it, one in Mesa, AZ, one in Wisconsin, and one in NY. I asked if the one in NY was in Hempstead and they confirmed. Welllll shit LOL. I called Ray back and he made some calls and talked to the guys in NY and called me back and said they'd sell it to me for $490. I called them back and they said they were going to email me a form to fill out with the card info and all that, and I never got it. So I just bought one from Mazdatrix. Fingers crossed it comes in.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri May 27, 2022 9:14

The combo switch from Mazdatrix was backordered, so I canceled that one. I bought one from Atkins right after that because it said in stock. They called and said theirs was backordered also. I told him it said in stock on the site and he said he couldn't keep it updated as much as he'd like. Well, it says you have 991 available, so I'd say that's a little out of date lol. One of the guys on 7club in Canada came through for me. It's used but it looks like it's in really good condition. It was supposed to be here last night but I think I'll be getting it today. I pinched and damaged some wiring from the combo switch last time I bolted the steering column to the dash (looks like the cruise control wiring) so I repaired that too.

I decided to just put the car back together and do these other projects another time, I'm tired of waiting. The engine bay is pretty much all back together, I just need to bleed the coolant and power steering and check the coolant for stray current, and put the strut bar back in and finish installing the IC piping. The oil cooler ducts need to go back on, front bumper, side mirrors and door panels, and of course the combo switch. Oh and install the ECU and some mesh on the front bumper to protect the heat exchangers.

Last night I used a big sheet of cardboard to start a template for the splitter, but I'll finish that project with it off the car. The 3D scanner money was refunded to me, and Creality reached out about buying it again directly from them for the same price and they said it would ship within 3 days. Hopefully that's true, but I'm no longer going to wait for that this time. I might pick up a professional crimping tool so I can build the harness myself too.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri May 27, 2022 9:14

This car is kicking my ass.

I noticed a lot of coolant on the floor. The exit hose from the heater core was seeping, so I tightened that but I'm still not sure it's fixed.

I primed the fuel system to check for leaks and a HUGE spray came out from the new damper I tried. I pulled the LIM and got that fixed.

I checked the fuel system for leaks again and it was good so I started and ran the car for a couple minutes, then I noticed the oil dumping from the driver's side, pretty much all the oil was gone. Ugh. I guess I forgot to tighten the oil cooler line to the filter, but it still didn't seem loose enough to dump that much oil.

I picked up more oil and finally got the car started. THANK GOD. I was bleeding the coolant system and all of a sudden it started exploding out of the lisle funnel. UGH!!! I believe that means the coolant seals are bad, but I don't understand how they'd be bad all of a sudden.

In addition to all this, I think the alternator might actually not be good. I believe there is a loud hum coming from it and it's getting really hot.

I don't have the energy for this anymore.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sat May 28, 2022 9:14

I got the coolant system bled and front bumper put back on. And I added mesh to the bumper before putting it on. The oil mess under the car is a real PITA because of the Lucas additive. That slime doesn't want to come up off the floor.

I got the combo switch this afternoon and installed that and the clock spring and quick release, I just need to finish installing the column covers and under dash piece, and bolt down the ECU, then put on the side mirrors and door panels.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun May 29, 2022 9:14

I finished the car today and took it to get gas, and it wouldn't start for me again. So sick of this.

Xavier came and pull started me and it started right up. Either the battery is bad, or the alternator, or both.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:14

I keep forgetting to mention a couple things.

1. I still have an issue with the AC system. The compressor clutch still engages when the car is turned on without the system charged. Sigh. I guess I just need to really dig into that system and check all the wiring and hunt down this problem, even though I just put the dash back in. SIGH.

2. The naca ducts don't really fit anywhere I can use them for the brake ducting, so either I'll use them in place of the splitter diffusers and just not hook up hoses to them, or I'll cut and bend the splitter to make my own diffusers. Brad is using Porsche brake cooling on his FD, which are basically just little scoops that catch air going under the car and direct it toward the brake rotors. Maybe I'll use those.

I ordered a Antigravity ATX30 battery Monday night and it's supposed to get here tomorrow, and I picked up a replacement alternator from Autozone the other day just in case too, although I haven't swapped that in yet. I'm thinking it has to be the battery, but the alternator is making a grinding noise anyway I think, so I might swap it out regardless just to be sure.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:14

I replaced the alternator and battery Saturday and I still have the issue. Xavier helped me do a little troubleshooting and I think we traced a funny noise to the ECU relay box that Chris installed. The funny noise is a relay only getting 6v. I swapped it with another relay to no avail. But when you pull the relay and put it back in, or more often when you pull that relay and the one below it and put it back in, you still start getting 12v. It won't start when it's getting 6v, but it starts normally if it's getting 12v. So we know where the problem is, but we still don't know what's causing it.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”