My new car!

Talk about your Rotaries!
chickenwafer

My new car!

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Well, I finally got my friend to snap some pictures of my new car.

After parting with the RX-8, I wasn't sure what I would get for my next build. I decided to get a car I've always wanted as long as I can remember. I've dropped some hints around about it- 1993 Mazda RX-7 FD.

I absolutely love it. I've been in love with FD's since I got into cars at age 10 so this really feels like a childhood dream for me come true. Even though the car is now 17 years old people still think it's a newer car..the design is truly timeless.

I lucked out and found a nice FD in Longmont that was actually running. After three test drives and a lot of checking it out I pulled the trigger and a deal was hashed out. Brought her home February 20th.

The FD was pretty much unmolested with only a Pettit 3" SS downpipe, GReddy turbo timer, Koni Yellow shocks, and StopTech slotted brake rotors with Goodridge braided SS brake lines and EBC pads.

Since I'm the better part of 6'6" I needed to fit better so I've added the following parts since I bought her:
-MOMO Mod88 Suede 320mm wheel
-NRG Gen 2.5 quick release
-Daike hub

And
-AEM UEGO WB02
-AEM Analog 52mm Boost
-AEM Analog 52mm Water/Meth Flow
-AutoMeter triple 52mm full a-pillar pod
-Banzai Racing AST
-Oil Change and coolant flush
-Snow Performance Stage2 Water/Meth Injection Kit custom stealth install

Also just ordered RP Aluminum HVAC knobs and Blitz NUR Spec R catback exhaust, I can't help myself haha.

I'm loving every minute of owning her. She handles better than my 8 did, feels basically as fast as my 8 even tho it has to be down 90-rwhp at least...and just looks like an exotic.

One of the aspects that sealed the deal for me on this particular FD was it had a complete list of receipts for all work done on the car going back to 1995. Very well taken care of, even though the previous owner was a bit of a tard.

Anyways, I've babbled long enough...here are some pictures, he will be sending me more soon.

I got to thank Eric (Speedjunkie) for giving me tips and helping with all my questions. Thanks man!

Now that the weather is nice, hopefully we can get some cruises/meets together so I can show her off haha.
:eek:

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

congrats
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

rmeeker13

Postby rmeeker13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

That's awesome man! I too will hopefully own an fd some day...jealous!
GT28-COBB AP-COBB SRI-TURBOSMART EBOOST2 EBC-JBR SSP-CP-E DP-CP-E INLET-CP-E 3'' CB-ETS IC-DNP MANI-TIAL 44MM EWG-OEM BPV-AWR RRM-SURE DREADNAUGHT-EIBACH SL SPRINGS-KONIG ZERO'S-GREDDY OCC-NGK 1 STEP COLDER PLUGS
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PXRdriFT

Postby PXRdriFT » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

congrats! looks great.

geo2maz

Postby geo2maz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

VERY nice man, good pick! enjoy!

tbot

Postby tbot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

very nice indeed. congrats on the new wheels. I am a big fan of the fd's and look forward to seeing it in person.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Congrats on the new car. I hope to own one someday.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

MSP SuperStreet

Postby MSP SuperStreet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Congrats. :61424796:
Glad to see that you stayed with Mazda.
Looks like a great find. Well cared of inside and out.
Nice to know that it is in the hands of someone who will truely appreciates it. I assume the engine bay looks just as great. How many miles does it have? Looking forward to checking it out soon.

TheNewBlack

Postby TheNewBlack » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Congrats! Cant wait to see what you do with it.
2013 FRS

Stealth01

Postby Stealth01 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Beautiful!
Stealth01
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
SURE Full3 Aeros ID300 SRI, SURE Torq R6 RMM, SURE Shortcut/Countershift, SURE Anchors, Dunlop Winterspot M3s (Winter Shoes), "O" Series Stubby Antenna, Red LED Dome & Door Lights, Whistler Pro-78 RD Hardwired, SURE Dreadnaught, Juggernaught, SURE Flow M6 TP, SURE Charge Tubes, Hawk HPS F/R Pads, Technafit SSBLs, StopTech Rotors, Cobb AP, SURE Ventus in 50-50 Hybrid Mode, [color="Lime"] PERM Tune[/color] (Stratified Auto) Coming soon: Autotech FP Internals, S6 Mounts

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

3 rotor swap maybe?

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Awesome David, glad to see you post some pics and tell about it, I thought it was getting a little Area-51-ish around here LOL. Man I miss when I first bought mine, it's such a great feeling huh? Sorry I haven't been able to help you lately, or even email, I've just been so busy with the house and upcoming deployment. I really do love working on these and I hope I can help with this.

Also, from what you did with the 8, I can only expect to see you do some crazy shit with this LOL.

However, I'll tell you now, I personally kinda miss having the stock twins and having slightly slimmer wheels and tires. Yeah I love the way it looks, but looks aren't always worth the hassle lol. Just keep that in mind. OR, buy another FD and rock the shit outta one of them LOL.

EDIT: I also miss having a current tune for my current turbo setup...and after gunning it today I REALLY miss that, having to drive like a granny lol.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

chickenwafer

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!

MSP SuperStreet wrote:Congrats. :61424796:
Glad to see that you stayed with Mazda.
Looks like a great find. Well cared of inside and out.
Nice to know that it is in the hands of someone who will truely appreciates it. I assume the engine bay looks just as great. How many miles does it have? Looking forward to checking it out soon.

123,XXX miles on the chassis, 63,XXX on a Hayes rebuilt rotary done in 2001. Hayes was a shop in Seattle (where the car is from originally) that went under due to some IRS situations.

The factory twins were also replaced about 65,XXX miles ago, then there is another receipt for a warranty replacement on the twins about 2,000 miles later and there was a charge of $200 on the receipt that says "Pettit Upgrade" so I'm thinking they are upgraded twins...definitely feels quick enough.

chickenwafer

speedjunkie wrote:Awesome David, glad to see you post some pics and tell about it, I thought it was getting a little Area-51-ish around here LOL. Man I miss when I first bought mine, it's such a great feeling huh? Sorry I haven't been able to help you lately, or even email, I've just been so busy with the house and upcoming deployment. I really do love working on these and I hope I can help with this.

Also, from what you did with the 8, I can only expect to see you do some crazy shit with this LOL.

However, I'll tell you now, I personally kinda miss having the stock twins and having slightly slimmer wheels and tires. Yeah I love the way it looks, but looks aren't always worth the hassle lol. Just keep that in mind. OR, buy another FD and rock the shit outta one of them LOL.

EDIT: I also miss having a current tune for my current turbo setup...and after gunning it today I REALLY miss that, having to drive like a granny lol.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Thanks, Eric! You've been a big asset in helping me with the FD.

I plan on keeping the twins as long as I can haha. Since I believe mine to be upgraded units (see earlier post) I will just get them rebuild eventually. Once I get a PowerFC I will remove all emissions BS and convert to non-seq prob, run an EBC to around 1bar of boost and I should be happy. I'm really shooting for "just" 365-rwhp right now...that should be plenty fast in a car as nimble and light as the FD. I don't know how people handle 500+rwhp FD's haha.

As far as wheels, I had settled on a set but I keep changing me mind, we will see what I end up with this summer!

GR-8

Postby GR-8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14

Congrats Dave.

Looks great and looks to be in Great condition.

ImageImage

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”