headed to the darkside...

Talk about your Rotaries!
BRC

Postby BRC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:14

I still wana stick with the aluminum block to keep it light. If I were going FI or spray then maybe iron but all im lookin for is about 500 all motor so the aluminum should be fine for that. I was thinkin about just tearing the pan off and replacing the rod bearings if they werent chewed up but im sure that would just end up being a temporary fix to a ticking time bomb. The knock is not severe, at an idle you cannot hear it but im thinkin id rather do it the right way once instead of the cheap way multiple times.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

winners compare their achievements with their goals,
while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.

BRC

Postby BRC » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

savin up for a stroker block for sure, 383 should do quite nicley. I slaped in some new bearings all but #5 looked perfect. Im sure #5 woulda spun in about another mile or so, the keeper tabs were almost flat and the bearing itself had rotated about 2 degrees in the cap and rod. But after installing new bearings it runs great and sounds nice with all the new goodies, however it desperately needs a tune. low end is horrible and the powerband levels off too early. Its roadworthey again and thats the important part so I should be makin it to the meets again!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14

the powerband on the ls does level off pretty early but keeps it which is the ok part of it. really early if you compare it to the lt1 powerband lol

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14

it wasent this bad before the top end swap, I think it could be leaning out above 4k with the ported heads, cam, and factory tune. The butt dyno deffinetly feels a power loss from before. Im just glad its runnin again but it still needs alot of work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BRC

Postby BRC » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14

Sooooo.... apparently its been a looooooong time since I posted on here last... FYI breifly after my last post on this thread the engine destroyed another rod bearing and irritation began to take over. Parked it in the garage and forgot about it for about a year. Ended up selling my Trans Am and bought a CTSV then got that itch for more power. Decided the smart thing to do was to leave the perfectly running V alone and build the FC again... And so it began. Found another LS1 motor for cheap :D and after dissasembly it checked out good! Laziness took over and the swap ended up taking a few months. After ripping the old motor out I dropped in the new short block and it sat for another couple months before I finally got some new head bolts and re-assembled it back to glory. I am pleased to say it lives again and seems to be running without any major issues, Still needs a tune, badly, but untuned it still runs like a monster. So now the suspension needs to be completly overhauled, brakes could use some serious upgrades, and the radiator seems to have developed a mystery leak, probably due to sitting in a corner of the garage and feeling neglected... damn emo radiators. Hopefully this motor lasts a bit longer than the last ;) but when the weather is nice I will deffinetly enjoy driving it again!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14

glad you are finally back on this.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14

Had a lot of things that took way too much time away from working on it, currently in the middle of buying a house, but I made some time to get it working again and im glad I did, I really didnt want to tow it to the new house!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”