Moving From California to Colorado. I need advice with snow and Rx7.

Talk about your Rotaries!
jlee

Moving From California to Colorado. I need advice with snow and Rx7.

Postby jlee » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14

Hey all,

I have a 1990 Rx7 GXL and I'm thinking about moving to Colorado from California. To be exact, I'm picking Westminster/Denver area because my girlfriend's family lives there.

Right now the snow season is about to approach there, I assume, and I was wondering how the FC will stand against the winter season. I plan to daily drive this car over there, but if that's not an option then my last resort is to sell and get an awd car (Impreza).

Earlier at the beginning of September when I was there, I've seen a lot of Integras and Civics that are tuned up on the road. I am also assuming that they are snow beaters as well. Is there any difference between their performance in the snow compared to the Rx7? Another thing to note is that I've never driven in the snow, but I'm familiar with really wet roads.

My other option was to move in the Spring time when the snow clears up, but I'll find myself questioning when Winter comes again. Plus the girlfriend wants to go back asap, so my time to make a decision is drawing near.

Thanks,
Jason Lee

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14

Some of the guys here drive their FCs in the snow. Our friend Tyler puts on snow tires and drifts the mountain roads when they're snowy and icy lol. I wouldn't suggest that if you've never driven in the snow lol. I don't drive my car in the snow, that's for sure. It's a failure waiting to happen. But with snow tires you could probably make it. I'd suggest maybe getting a cheap FWD or AWD for the winter anyway though.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

I drive my Miata in the snow so my Mustang can stay home in the garage. With good snow tires you can get around just fine in a RWD car. However, I have a lot of experience driving in snow as I've lived here the entire time I've been driving.

The key is to try not to outdrive the limits of the car. In a RWD, you generally have to be less aggressive in snow than someone in a FWD or AWD car can be, and baby the throttle going around curves. But as long as you get good tires for it and take it easy and maybe even go to a parking lot and test out the limits of the car the first time it snows, you can get the hang of it.

I use studded Hankook Winter iPikes on my Miata and I can get around just as well as any FWD car. Only thing that would stop me is really deep snow on an unplowed road because it sits so low.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

ecam8000

Postby ecam8000 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

One of the good thing about Denver's foul weather is; It is only around here for a day or two at a time. CDOT does a pretty good job of clearing the roads, and we usually follow a good snow dump with a few days of sunny weather. It's not So Cal, but it beats the heack out of the North East!
Eric
99 Miata, 45 STR SCCA goto: http://www.rmsolo.org/

2 Fords 29 & 2000.

99 BMW 328i

THANKS! To all who serve.

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

Welcome to the free world/state and out of the bankrupt hippy state. :D
I wouldn't worry about snow too much here. Like everyone said, it doesn't stay round. If you have good tires, you should be fine... just take it easy
Image Image

SecondGenPAt

Postby SecondGenPAt » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

ecam8000 wrote:but it beats the heack out of the North East!

*Glares....*
Hakuna Matata

chromal

Postby chromal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

Our cars essentially last forever, at least compared with cars back east that rust out fast thanks to wetness and corrosive winter road treatments. It makes buying and working on used cars fun; chances are rust will be minimal if it lived its life in CO or the southwest, relatively speaking. I doubt we have anything on CA in this regard, of course, but we do have real seasons without all the negative consequences east-coasters expect... Do be psychologically prepared to replace your windshields more frequently, though, it's hard to avoid cracks from road debris.

jlee

Postby jlee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

thanks guys for the input. my car is kinda low right now. i'm guessing i'll have to raise my car up during the winter season?

pic of my car:

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

Our snow isn't usually that deep, so I wouldn't say you'd have to raise it. And if you get some stock wheels with snow tires and practice driving on them during first snow like erod said, I think you'll be set.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

First off, welcome and great choice on an FC.

People always have the misconception that Colorado is always knee-deep in snow from October to May for some reason, maybe they think the entire state is a mountain? Anyways, I had the same idea before I moved here from Phoenix, Arizona. So much so, in fact, I went out and bought a lifted 4x4 truck within 2 weeks of moving here convinced it was what I needed to get around in Colorado winters...

Um, not the case. To echo what others said, we will get dumped on 2-3 times per year and it's usually mostly melted or at least plowed off the roads within 24-48 hours. I now get around just fine with a VW Jetta with good all-season rubber, before that I had a '91 Protege. I've never gotten stuck...as long as drive within your limits and are smart, you'll be fine.

Rotaries have another benefit to snow driving in that they don't produce a lot of low-end torque, so it's more difficult to spin tire when pulling away from a stop. Maybe even throw a sandbag in the back if you're worried. I would run some winter tires for sure and you'll be golden. The FC also has really good balance and weight distribution, which helps as well for it's predictability if things get sideways, you can usually recover.

If you've never driven in snow I would get some winters tires on and go practice at night in a big parking lot the night of our first legit snow fall. Get used to how the car acts in snow, where you loose the grip, etc, and you'll be much more confident on the road.
:eek:

I`m Batman

Postby I`m Batman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:People always have the misconception that Colorado is always knee-deep in snow from October to May for some reason, maybe they think the entire state is a mountain? ...

Um, not the case. To echo what others said, we will get dumped on 2-3 times per year and it's usually mostly melted or at least plowed off the roads within 24-48 hours.

Shhh... don't let out all the secrets. We don't want everyone to know that Colorado is a beautiful sunny state. Everyone would move here if they know the truth... Let them think that we get 10 ft of snow everyday. :p :D
Image Image

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

youll have no problem driving through snow at that height. trust me lol

gah, i miss colorado snow and my fc

kingtut

Postby kingtut » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

I`m Batman wrote:Shhh... don't let out all the secrets. We don't want everyone to know that Colorado is a beautiful sunny state. Everyone would move here if they know the truth...

Too late, ugh.
one and one makes two, together we are free

eliminster

Postby eliminster » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

U should have no trouble as long as you run the right tires and throw a little weight in the back. Main reason I don't drive in the winter with mine is no point since I have two other vehicles that can do better and I drive to pueblo from the springs pretty much ever day.
87 red rx7
running 13b re cosmo motor
03 yellow wrx
yes it is a stock color
00 black s10 zr2
yes i have it to tow cars when they break.

erod550

Postby erod550 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14

Yea I wouldn't recommend highway driving on snow in a RWD. I did a couple commutes to Denver in my Miata and while it does great at 35mph, it's a different story at 55-60mph.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way

1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:

2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0

2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT

2005 Flame Red SRT-4

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”