New toy showed up in the mail

Talk about your Rotaries!
vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14

Great! I'll give you a shout this evening to see if we can work something out. I have access to an engine hoist but I have to figure out how to transport it 100 miles.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14

How would you feel about a mini-meet while Matt is there? lol I need to come up and use his Frankenstein to test my Power FC. I thought maybe Dave could come up too, and maybe Dan, too, and I can give Dan his under tray while I'm there.

zmarko

Postby zmarko » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14

Congrats! :)
Marko
-'12 Speed 3

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14

Thanks!

Speedjunkie:

Yeah I'm down for a mini meet. If everyone is interested I will burn some burgers and have some beers laying around. I'm in west greeley, it's a few minutes from I25.. cause the FD ain't driving nowhere yet! lol. I'll try and give you a shout tomorrow see if we can set something up.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14

OK sounds good. I know chickenwafer is off on Sunday and he'd like to make it, but if Matt is helping you on Saturday...well, I'll work around you guys' plans haha.

alpha

Postby alpha » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14

I'm open either Sat or Sunday, so whatever works for everyone else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14

Sunday Sunday!!
:eek:

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14

Sunday works great! Any one else that would like to swing by is more than welcome to.

This will be the first Annual Greeley FD Rebuild meet!.. hope its the last for a while too lol.

vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14

Everyone loves pics right? Thanks for all the help!

vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14

I pulled the compressor housing off the T78 while removing the turbo and found some bad news.. There is a crack in one of the compressor fins.. it looks like someone bent the fin and tried to bend it back causing it to crack. I would imagine it was the shop that rebuilt the engine and the turbo 12k miles ago... they didn't do the best work from what I've seen so far. You can see the crack in the fin towards the left of the picture.. it appears to be all the way through the fin. Haven't figured out what will be done about this yet.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14

That sucks. I know there is a shop in C Springs that could replace the wheel and rebalance it for you for fairly cheap, so I would imagine there is one in the Denver area somewhere that can do the same. How is the shaft play?

Sorry I didn't make it up. Quite a few things went wrong that day, but thankfully none of those things applied to my car lol.

I'm kinda diggin that vent gauge pod too. Dave told me about that.

That turbo looks like it sits WAY far forward too, wow haha. Very short piping to the IC though.

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14

Hey no worries, its a long drive from the springs.

Shaft play is pretty good, I haven't measured it but I also haven't looked up the spec on the t78. It was rebuilt when the engine was rebuilt 10-15k miles ago. I will probably call around tomorrow and see how "cheap" a new wheel and a balance is.. if its too expensive, it may just get a new huffer instead.

If you guys are interested in replicating the gauge pod, I could possibly make a mold. we joked about doing that actually.. but I'm big into DIY projects.

I also realized that the car is running 1600cc low impedance secondaries and high impedance stock primaries. I didn't see a resistor pack and I didn't think that a Haltech E8 could run mixed injector impedances. I'll have to check the resistance at the ecu plug to double check I didn't miss a resistor pack somewhere... but this concerns me a little.

Got to thank Dave for the engine stand adapter and flywheel stopper. Once I got the engine on the stand it took my less than a minute to break the E-shaft bolt free.. easiest E-shaft bolt I have ever removed!

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14

Huffer? You weren't in the Navy at some point, were you? LOL One of our pieces of equipment in the AF is something my brother called a huffer when he was in the Navy, it just reminded me of that lol.

I think a lot of people would be interested in that gauge pod, and not just on this forum. I've never actually seen it before I don't believe.

The resistor packs might be down by the ECU. My roommate had it like that on his FD. Or have you looked there already?

I can't believe the E shaft bolt came out that fast. Never seen that before.

vierte

Postby vierte » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:14

Nope never been in the Navy, I think I picked up that phrase on the east coast tho. I've yet to check by the ecu, was more concerned about splitting the keg and finding out how bad the damage is.. it turned out pretty bad.

Yeah the eshaft bolt was a breeze.. then again it was rebuilt 10-15k miles ago so its been out recently. I heated it with a propane torch, impacted it on the off a few times, let it set till the next day and put a 5' breaker bar on it and it popped right off!

Anyway I discovered where all the compression was going? Anyone have a spare, slightly used rear rotor housing? or know of a place to get one for cheaper than $900? The car was overheated once then lost compression.. I believe this may have caused some extra expansion around the spark plug hole causing the apex seal to high center on the hole. This puts a lot of stress on the tip and can cause cracking at the tip.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:14

Sucks man. That's the scratching/groove I thought I saw through the exhaust port when we yanked it.

As far as injectors with the E8, I'm 99% positive it can be setup to drive saturated or unsaturated injectors in the primary and secondary independently, so you can have mixed sets primary and secondary, although I wouldn't recommend it.
:eek:

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”