New toy showed up in the mail

Talk about your Rotaries!
vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14

Update:

Its hard to find a good rotor housing! I finally got one on its way with 3k miles on it.. looks to be in pretty comparable condition to the one good housing that I have.

I took Daves advice and ordered Goopy seals and using the rest of the hard seals and springs from atkins rotary. Got them from Carlos at Therotarystore.com who seems to be a good guy to deal with. I also got a steel Rx8 front cover gasket from him, do any of you guys use one of these on your car? My only concern is the lack of a need for the front cover O-ring and washer when using the RX-8 gasket.

Ordered a McMaster "soft seal kit" .. I know some of you guys will scoff at that.. but the seals have worked fantastic in the past for some hard abuse situations. Also got supplies to make solid polypropylene motor mounts.

Got a few extra walbro 255's to go dual pump, a proper fuel pressure regulator, KG fuel rails and a pair of 1600's and 1000cc injectors now. If anyone has a dual intank pump setup I would like your input on how to plumb, mount, and wire the pumps.

Ordered porting templates from Defined Autoworks almost 3 weeks ago now, these guys have been a pain and apparently shipped the templates to the wrong address.. the claim they are in the mail again and should be here this evening or tomorrow.. we'll see.

on a side note: be skeptical of harbour freight engine hoists! the one I have has been used twice and has a "dead spot". after a certain point of lifting an engine, you have to help the hoist past a dead spot in its travel, then its fine afterwards. the hoist has been used twice now, the first time it never supported a weight below the deadspot so it wasn't apparent.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14

Looks like you got some good parts coming. Wise move on the Goopy seals, those or ALS seals are fantastic. I haven't used the RX-8 metal front cover gasket...I thought it was different than the REW front cover?

As far as fuel injectors, what type of 1000cc primaries did you get? Did you get the EV14/Injector Dynamics variety or something high impedance? Low impedance 1000cc primaries would be very difficult to control at low pulse widths for idle.

With dual in-tank fuel pumps, it's pretty easy. I did it with mine with dual Denso Supra TT fuel pumps. I simply cut the stock feed a couple inches inside the hanger and hung the two pumps off the hanger with two large hose clamps and a piece of rubber in-between the two pumps to dampen vibrations. I ordered a 3/8" aluminum wey-pipe fitting from McMastercarr, I remember it being overpriced at around $36 + shipping but I couldn't find it locally to save my life (only plastic ones; no thanks).

I also got some submersible rated gasoline fuel hose from NAPA, again it was expensive, about $25 for 10" of hose. But you have to use this stuff, it's rated to be submersed in gasoline, whereas typical fuel hose is not, and will swell and break so you could loose fuel pressure. And those types of things tend to happen at the worst possible times, like on a road trip or in boost. There are also pics of this in my build thread HERE

The next thing I learned my lesson on was proper wiring. I originally installed a sealed electrical bulkhead (good) and ran power to the dual pumps through a single 30amp replay (bad) and with low-quality "garage variety" 14awg wiring (real bad). The result was the thin wiring burning up, so I upgraded it with some marginally heavily gauge stuff, which then shifted the weak link to the 30amp relay, which literally melted apart and left me stranded on the side of the road. I ended up completely re-wiring the entire system; dual 50amp relays, 10awg power and ground wires from the battery to the relays to the pumps. No problems yet on this setup (knock on wood). Again, I documented all this with pics in my build thread, Melted relay HERE and Proper fuel pump wiring HERE.

Let me know when you get the parts in, I'd love to help you stack the motor!
:eek:

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14

I'm using an RX-8 front cover gasket. It's not that much different. I think Rich said he had to modify it just a tad, but I might not be remembering that correctly. When I reused it I didn't have to do anything to it obviously lol.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14

Metal gasket is the way to go, im running 100 psi no problems so far.

vierte

Postby vierte » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14

From what I understand is it extends past the front cover infront of the water pump and you cut that portion off or you can leave it but then you have a gasket flopping around. I heard good things about the metal gasket and its reusable... in the unlikely case that you have to rebuild a rotary!

What I dont understand yet is how the metal gasket seals at the front cover o-ring since you cant use it with the metal gasket.. I was told it would be apparent when I have the gasket in hand.

VRx8

The gasket it self will seal it.

Here is what happened to me paper gasket blown, I guess once you modify your oil pressure regulator you have to get a gasket metal in the front cover if not this will happen.

Trust me not fun to do with the engine still mounted, you take the risk of the front bearing falling out of place and get crushed.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14

^I still can't believe you changed the front cover gasket with the engine still in the car. That's hardcore!!

I wish I would have done the metal front cover gasket, but my OEM paper one is holding for (for now, knock on wood). I also used plenty of The Right Stuff brand RTV sealant on the front cover.

vierte

lol.. yeah, that doesn't look fun at all.

Dave I have a hodgepodge of injectors I can use. Almost all of them are low impedance. Greedy 720's, RC750's, RC1000's, RC1600's and a pair of Bosch 1680's

I think it will end up with low Impedance 1000cc RC primaries and 1600cc RC secondarys, if theres a tuning issue I can always swap out some smaller injectors or the 750's are high impedance... then again.. who doesn't like a nasty brapping idle :)

Anyway, I'll let you know when its ready to stack. I should have the housing by monday, hopefully sooner. I think early next week I will probably take a day off work/school and get the engine assemble and hopefully installed.

vierte

Defined Autoworks Porting Template: would you pay $110 for these?
Honestly I expected a little more for the price... these better be some bad@ss ports!!

VRx8

chickenwafer wrote:^I still can't believe you changed the front cover gasket with the engine still in the car. That's hardcore!!

LOL, Such a pain but doable . Much worse with the studs!

I hate template just for the fact that you have to cut'em lol

But yeah I wouldn't paid that much.

You can get them both for 80 with Pineapple Racing

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14

That's restarded you have to cut them out. And no template for the primary port??? That's we're all the brap brap comes from!

VRx8

Racing beat templates are the same.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

That's the majority of the reasoning I used when I went with the Pineapple templates. They're pre-cut so I don't have to worry about messing up the template when cutting the port out, and it has a template for the primary that's pretty aggressive.

vierte

Postby vierte » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14

tada!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-HjEQT7pc&feature=plcp"]20121113_155701.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

This thing wouldn't be driving around right now without Daves help and spare parts lol. Thanks again man.

Have to work through a couple more issues with the car:

1. Theres no heat :( I'm assuming there is a heater core bypass valve somewhere.. probably conveniently located under the dash.

2. Theres no speedo.. guessing that has to do with the haltech? Using a gps right now to know how badly im breaking the speed limit.

3. Think the AEM Wideband took a crap. Anyone know a place locally-ish that has widebands in stock? Preferably not an AEM.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:14

Engine is already together and in the car ?

Sounds solid, good job.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”