New RX-7 Due in 2017?

Talk about your Rotaries!
chickenwafer

New RX-7 Due in 2017?

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

I normally don't buy into this sort of BS as we've been hearing of a new RX-7 since the FD left in 95 here, or the never-was-running-joke Mazdaspeed RX-8, but I think there might some shreds of credibility to this one as Mazda's chief sports car engineer, Nobuhiro Yamamoto, has gone on record stating this information.

Additionally, we know Mazda spent all the time, money, and R&D on creating the 16X, the 13B replacement, so why abort everything now that you have an all-new rotary developed? I kinda figured it was only a matter of time.

Anyways, in case you haven't heard the news, here is the link: (it's also on numerous other credible websites)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/10/new-mazda-rx-7-due-to-arrive-in-2017.html

Cliff notes:

-To arrive in 2017, the 50th Anniversary of the Mazda Cosmos
-Should have a 300bhp 16X 2-rotor power plant, potentially turbocharged with a later model
-Should weight 2800lbs or less
-To be priced competitively with the 370Z aka $33k
-May actually be happening this time

My thoughts and concerns; apparently Mazda has developed some sort of new catalytic converter so the rotary can pass ever tightening emissions. Great, solves problem numero uno for the rotary. Second issue will still be fuel economy- the 16X may be direct injected so that should help with lean burn tuning and rotor-shut down for highway cruising.

300 horsepower sounds great, but it's still barely competing with today's sports car. The V6 Mustang has more horsepower now for crying out loud! And in 5 years, who knows, at the rate horsepower is increasing these days I fear 300bhp might just not cut it.

BUT, everyone and their mother said the RX-8 was "100bhp from being perfect". Well, here you go, a solid 300bhp car that will be smaller and weight less. I'm thinking FR-S/BRZ weight class with an additional 100bhp and even superior handling. YES YES YES.

Will be a GT-R/Corvette/World beater? Absolutely NOT (is the 370Z or anything else in the price range really?). But I think it will be good, and it will be interesting to see how the aftermarket tepidly responds.

That being said, I'll still only believe it when I see it, LOL.

Discuss
:eek:

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

Started my 2017 RX7 savings account yesterday lol.

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

I'm hoping it happens, but I remain skeptical until it does.

iani1.1

Postby iani1.1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

chickenwafer wrote:That being said, I'll still only believe it when I see it, LOL.

this.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

Likewise, I'll believe it when I see it. However, it does sound more likely this time.

While being a light car will help with a lower HP for today's standards, I can't help but compare it to the FRS or the RX-8 in that arena. And another thing, for those people that are used to more power, I don't think the reduced weight of the car will be enough for the lack of extra power. Also, people get used to the power they have even on a turbo vehicle. I do anyway.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

I agree, but look at the FRS/BRZ and its selling like hot cakes. Then again, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe never really caught on or lived up to the hype. Maybe it's a brand thing.

I also look to the Lotus Elise/Exige and how it's a completely impractical car and packs "only" 220 or so bhp yet it's often raved about as a benchmark drivers super car. I know the new rx7 won't weight as little as the flyweight Lotus, but it will have some more power and handle similarly. The main problem I foresee is the general publics misconception and misunderstanding about rotaries in general, and people fear the unknown. So it may never catch on.
:eek:

christi

Postby christi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14

I can't wait! Except I wouldn't be able to afford it anytime soon... maybe if income increases by 2017 lol :P Thanks for the post! Made me a happy camper this evening :P
1990 RX-7 'vert black/black -- "Jello Stick"
13B n/a Street Port
Goopy performance
straight pipe & racing beat header

2005 Mazda 3
nothin' but stock love.

Past:
1988 GXL RX-7 2002-2004 [Blown Apex seal]
1991 'vert RX-7... 2003-2004 [4' under water, hurricane ivan 2004]

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14

2017 great timing my kids will be done with high school and i be close to retirement from Army so i could buy me a toy :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

rx7srus

Postby rx7srus » Mon May 06, 2013 9:14

hey chickenwafer i see you live in colorado do you tune or know anyone in colorado how can tune microtechs

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”