Going e85!

Talk about your Rotaries!
VRx8

Going e85!

Postby VRx8 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14

I decided to go e85 mainly because it makes great power and is very reliable. I'm all about not blowing up my engine lol. There are people running crazy amount of boost with low to no knock which is great. Also burn cleaner keeping the internals nice and clean.

I will be using a Flex Fuel sensor with my PS1000, it will determine the ethanol level on the e85 and adjust the map automatically. Making it possible to run pump gas as well, without going to the trouble of changing maps.

Here is the sensor,

Siemens Flex Fuel sensor, haltech wants like $180 for it. I bought this for $100 lol. Sorry not buying a 80 dollar sticker.

I need to change my ID725 primaries to 2000cc, I don't rally want to buy ID (bosh) injectors because they are so expensive !!!. I think I'm going with FiveO (bosh) injectors lol.

I am also redoing my fuel lines with Teflon lines, pretty cheap at frozenboost.com rated for e85. 8AN feed/ 6AN return with dual 340's.

I ordered the lines and fittings already. I just need the injectors and the extra pump and a few more fittings.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14

That's pretty baller. I never thought of using a sensor to see what fuel you're running to adjust the map. Makes me want to do it too lol.

Will you be able to mix the fuels and the computer will adjust or will you have to run it pretty empty on one fuel and fill up with another?

chromal

Postby chromal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14

It's kinda of tempting for my SAAB 900 turbo, there's an E85 pump down the road. Someone else has done it to a 900, calls their car "the drunken swede." I guess it gives you some octane range to play with, kinda nice when you are running with MFI. Good luck with conversion!

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14

speedjunkie wrote:That's pretty baller. I never thought of using a sensor to see what fuel you're running to adjust the map. Makes me want to do it too lol.

Will you be able to mix the fuels and the computer will adjust or will you have to run it pretty empty on one fuel and fill up with another?

From my understanding yes you can mix, it can read from 0% - 100% ethanol on fuel. If you think about it most of us run e10 because most of the fuel is mixed with ethanol.

Also e85 varies on ethanol content, sometimes you will have e80 or e75 so is not consistent.

The only problem I see will be premix, because gas premix is not compatible with e85, it just sits on top after a while. I need to do more research on this subject.

If anything I can you install the OMP back on no bigs there.

VRx8

chromal wrote:It's kinda of tempting for my SAAB 900 turbo, there's an E85 pump down the road. Someone else has done it to a 900, calls their car "the drunken swede." I guess it gives you some octane range to play with, kinda nice when you are running with MFI. Good luck with conversion!

Yeap most tuners are scared of tuning a car pass 16 pounds on rotaries. So having that extra octane is nice.

Also another thing is ignition you need something more powerful because you are using 33% more fluid than gas.

I order me a set of AEM ign-1a coil from C. Ludwig on 7club.

vierte

Postby vierte » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14

This is cool. I just checked out megasquirts capabilities when it comes to flex fuel sensors, looks like the MS3 and possibly the MSII can adjust fuel maps based on the ethanol content using a flex fuel sensor. So with the PS1000 does it modify the ignition table as well? It would be nice to advance timing or switch timing maps when the ethanol content was high enough.

As far as premix goes, BeNOL castor oil is ethanol compatible and smells brilliant! It being castor oil.. it does burn pretty dirty and leave deposits. There are some other two stroke oils that are compatible tho.

You could always do the Pat "Crazy Man" OMP modification to inject two stroke oil instead of motor oil. Then you could run any oil you like.

VRx8

vierte wrote:This is cool. I just checked out megasquirts capabilities when it comes to flex fuel sensors, looks like the MS3 and possibly the MSII can adjust fuel maps based on the ethanol content using a flex fuel sensor. So with the PS1000 does it modify the ignition table as well? It would be nice to advance timing or switch timing maps when the ethanol content was high enough.

As far as premix goes, BeNOL castor oil is ethanol compatible and smells brilliant! It being castor oil.. it does burn pretty dirty and leave deposits. There are some other two stroke oils that are compatible tho.

You could always do the Pat "Crazy Man" OMP modification to inject two stroke oil instead of motor oil. Then you could run any oil you like.

Yes, based on the sensor reading it will trim fuel, timing and boost if applicable.

I think I will end up using the OMP adapter, maybe use some premix if I'm going to beat on it hard.

VRx8

Well , OMP is not going back in. Like VIERTE said Benol premix works with both e85 and gas, sweet

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14

I already have the OMP adapter, but I'm thinking more about a Haltech or something these days lol.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

Got pretty much all the fittings and hoses needed except the fuel rail ends and a Y adapter. They send me 4an fittings instead of 8an like I ordered oh well.

Here is the fuel hoses, teflon inside, stainless steel braded and a polyurethane coating outside. They look real good.

Here is a pic of the flex fuel sensor with the AN adapters

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

Nice man! Coming along nicely. I wish I could do E85, just not nearly enough stations near me.
:eek:

JTurton7

Postby JTurton7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

let me know how those AEM ING-1A coils work. They were looking mighty tempting when I was having ignition issues.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

I'm more and more tempted to go this route lol. Thanks a lot Eduardo!! lol

Dave, you could still do this and just fill up with E-85 when you find a station. That's the beauty of it. Truly awesome.

Also eyeing those AEM coils lol.

chickenwafer

Postby chickenwafer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

JTurton7 wrote:let me know how those AEM ING-1A coils work. They were looking mighty tempting when I was having ignition issues.

A lot of people have been running those coils (the AEM coils re re-badged Mercury Marine coils) for a while now making lots a power. They are a great ignition solution.

speedjunkie wrote:I'm more and more tempted to go this route lol. Thanks a lot Eduardo!! lol

Dave, you could still do this and just fill up with E-85 when you find a station. That's the beauty of it. Truly awesome.

Also eyeing those AEM coils lol.

Yeah I know you can flop back and fourth...but since I'm PFC I'd have to retune for E85 and pump gas. Plus, why do all the work and spend all the money outfitting the system for E85 if I'm only going to run pump gas most of the time?

I have to research pump locations but there are none in Loveland that I know of, only 2 in Fort Collins and I think a few in Greeley. Not to mention, around here, E85 has been getting more and more expensive, it's now more expensive than 91 octane. I know it's better, but ehhh...I still think it's a dying fuel. I might stick with 91 octane and lots and lots of water/meth.
:eek:

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14

Yeah I went with "AEM" coils because C. Ludwig makes a almost PnP harness and he only makes it if you buy the coils from him. Without the sticker is $67 ea. with the sticker "72" ea. so not a big difference. They should be here tomorrow.

I have spent like 50 bucks including coils + harness. I sell whatever I have and then buy new stuff maybe put a couple bucks on top of it. That how I do it lol.

Eric, you can get e85 everywhere in the springs lol.

I figured if Im going to throw a decent amount of coin on a dyno, probably with Steve Kan then lets make it worthwhile a get some decent numbers. He wants $275 hr which makes want to cry lol. And another guy here local want $300 plus dyno rental which is
110 hr. he said it will take like 2 or 3 hours.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”