Electrical?

Talk about your Rotaries!
Skye's7

Electrical?

Postby Skye's7 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14

Got an emergency! My volt meter for the battery usually sits between 12-14. I was driving and all of a sudden all the lights come on. The engine is still running so I pull off. So I came to a stop and all the lights on the instrument panel turns off and the volt meter goes back between 12-14. I revved it past 3000 rpm and the volt meter rises with it and goes to the max of +16 then drops back to 12-14 as it idles low at 200 rpms. I've been having issues with my starts, I'll go to and start the car and it'll click and all power is gone, I'll jiggle the battery cable around and hear power restored then try to start it. Usually it'll take a couple tries, sometimes it starts right up. It doesn't always have this problem but occasionally I'll have to go through this process. Someone said it's possibly a bad alternator, someone says it's a bad ignition switch. Unfortunately this is my daily, anyone have this problem before? And is it still safe to keep driving it? : (

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14

Doesn't sound like any kind of ignition switch issue I've ever heard of. Sounds more like a bad voltage regulator in the alternator, but maybe not. I'm guessing whatever you have is going to do a ton of damage if you keep driving it (fry the ecu, sensors, wiring, etc) so, you probably want to figure it out fast.

Skye's7

Postby Skye's7 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14

Brigdh wrote:Doesn't sound like any kind of ignition switch issue I've ever heard of. Sounds more like a bad voltage regulator in the alternator, but maybe not. I'm guessing whatever you have is going to do a ton of damage if you keep driving it (fry the ecu, sensors, wiring, etc) so, you probably want to figure it out fast.

Thanks man. Yea I don't know what it is. I have no idea where to start looking. A few buddies said possibly a bad alternator. I'm scared of driving it cause I'm afraid it'll cause damage. So I guess replacing the alternator is the first step? Man I have no idea where to start

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14

Don't replace it yet, take it to AutoZone so they can bench test it for you. Takes about 5 minutes.

RX-7 Chris

Postby RX-7 Chris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14

It sounds to me like one of the main fuses if going or isn't getting a good connection.
1984 RX-7 GSL-SE [size=84]My restomod project[/SIZE]

1964 Ford Galaxie 500XL flat black w/ white interior, 2 dr fastback, 390 thunderbird, C6 auto, 2500 rpm high stall converter, shift kit, AC, Holley 750 cfm

[size=100]RIP 1983 RX-7[/SIZE]

My Car Blog

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”