New FD Owner in the Springs

Talk about your Rotaries!
$crillaTor

New FD Owner in the Springs

Postby $crillaTor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:14

Hello,

I just recently bought a 1993 RX-7 and live in Colorado Springs. I've looked around your forums and it seems like there is a good community around here. I used to own an 86' FC and loved it, but that was ages ago. I've rode in the FD's and have wanted one for twenty years... Well I finally saved up for one.

Here's some information about the car that I'll be needing some input on.

I bought the car from a guy in Washington state. It doesn't have an engine in it, he blew it. He bought another engine from a guy on RX7club.com that has about 25k on the clock and 99' Spec turbos. So I'm putting the non-blown engine in and getting the blown one to rebuild at my leisure.

So here's the modifications on the car:

Tein Superstreet coilovers
HKS BOV (Not sure which one)
Megan Racing down pipe
Some sort of high flow intakes
Apexi Boost Controller
Straight pipe exhaust to I think a Apexi muffler

He was running the stock ECU so I'm pretty sure from the research I've done that that is why the engine grenaded on him.

I am by no means tuning saavy and would like to get advice from some pros around here. I'm thinking about getting an Apexi Power FC to replace the stock ECU. On rx7store.net it says they come pre-loaded with maps for standard modifications, but all are for 92 octane. As you guys know, we can only get 91 octane around here...

Questions:
1. How hard is it to tune these things with a PFC?
2. Do you guys think I'm going the right path with a PFC or would you recommend something different?
3. Am I missing anything else when I put this engine in that will help me not blow it up? Something else I should think about?

Here's a picture. I'll have more once it is actually delivered next week:

boosted12a

Postby boosted12a » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14

clean FD ! welcome to the site
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GTU Turbo II

Brigdh

Postby Brigdh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14

91 octane here is the same as 93 everywhere else due to the altitude.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:14

Ahhh 91 = 93... I did not know that.

Any of you have experience with the Apexi Power FC? I'm about to pull the trigger on it this morning unless I see any horror stories.

Thanks!

Rx7boy719

Postby Rx7boy719 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:14

Welcome, I also have a PFC and the same situation your in (looking for a tuner lol) Sweet you are in the Springs?! We should meet up one of these Fridays maybe this Friday if I'm not doing anything.
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Red"]My reaction when I got my first FD[/color][/SIZE][/font]:lol: Image

Shadowden

Postby Shadowden » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14

Very nice!
I know not the mysteries of the rotary.

VRx8

Postby VRx8 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14

I think the PFC is effective but outdated. Although I hated my PFC and replaced it with a Haltech PS1000 and im in love :D

Learjet45

Postby Learjet45 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14

Welcome! I'm loving the color of your FD! Can't wait for pics once it gets delivered!
[color="Blue"]2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i PZEV - Current Ride, 100% stock[/color]
[color="Gray"]2005 Mazda 6i Pebble Ash Metallic - Dead[/color]

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:14

Thanks guys! Unfortunately I'm not getting the car until Sunday... I guess this driver is slow. And the engines won't show up until Monday. So... I won't be working on an RX7 this weekend after all...

PIT Rally

Postby PIT Rally » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:14

Bummer, sorry to hear...good looking FD though, really like the color.

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14

Welcome! Looks like about the same color as Cody's FD.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14

Well, I've managed to get the engine in the car. Here's a list of what changes I've made:

- Killed the stock vacuum hose setup and went to simplified sequential
- Had to take the engine wiring harness off of the car from the old engine and put it on the new engine. The plugs were different on the ECU end...
- Put in a new clutch
- Put in a new PFC and Datalogit
- Installed a AEM wideband
- There was only a water temp gauge and boost gauge in the car when I bought it, so I put in a new 3 gauge pod to accomodate the wideband.

I had a couple setbacks when putting the engine in.

First, it turns out my cherrypicker doesn't reach far enough to put an engine in an FD... It probably would have made it if I took the front bumper off, but no way I was doing that. A friend and I used some creative thinking and some ratchet straps to get the engine into the right position. It took a while but got the thing in. I don't recommend that method to anyone; get a lift that reaches.

Then when we got the engine in, motor mounts fastened, and the tranny mated to the block, I noticed the turbo housing closest to the firewall was loose. Upon further inspection, it had come apart! @$&^!*&@^# If anyone has taken apart a turbo on the car you'll feel my frustration. There is a HUGE jesus clip that holds that thing together and not much room to get to it. I managed to get it back together with some small vise grips and screws in the clip holes... There was NO WAY we were taking the engine back out at that point...

All that's left for install is replacing some fuel lines, exhaust, intercooler, boost controller, intake, wiring harness to the ECU, and then fill it up with fluids! Hopefully I'll get it done tonight. I can't wait to drive this thing!!!!!

erod550

Postby erod550 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14

Had the same issue with the cherrypicker we used to swap my Miata's engine. We ended up having to stop and pull the bumper. It just wasn't going to happen otherwise.
2015 Ironman Silver Veloster Turbo - Bone stock and staying that way
1990 Crystal White Miata - Beater - Bignose 1.6L Swap, Robbins Top w/Glass Window, E-Codes, Air Horns, Brembo Rotors

Former Rides:
2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT 5.0
2009 True Red Mazdaspeed3 GT
2005 Flame Red SRT-4

speedjunkie

Postby speedjunkie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14

Glad to hear you'll be able to drive it soon and come hang out.

$crillaTor

Postby $crillaTor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14

Yes, I'm looking forward to driving it an hanging out as well.

I ALMOST finished tonight... Putting the downpipe on is a royal PITA. I won't be able to work on it again until Friday, and that should be all it takes.

Return to “Rotary Vehicle”